“A hidden gem”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hurdlow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Postcode: SK17 9QJ
Lytham St Annes
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went to this pub 15 years ago and what a transformation, won lots of awards for food and not surprisingly so. Staff pleasant and attentive at all times. Nice country atmosphere great menu just save enough room for the amazing deserts.

Hockliffe, United Kingdom
“Great Pub, Great Food, Great Service, Great Location”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were a group of 6 Mountain Bikers who selected this pub as a half way point on our 30 mile ride around the Monsal and Tissington trails. What a find!!! We were warmly welcomed by a super efficient and very friendly young lady who arranged our drinks and told us to sit where we liked and brought the menus to us. Although they were young, their customer attentiveness was 2nd to none. Excellent friendly warm service to which nothing was too much trouble.
The food was excellent and as others have said, the portions were very good. OK the prices are not cheap but at least you feel satisfied after with a full belly. The ploughmans has to be the biggest I have ever seen. Ham, Beef, Slice of Gala pie, Pate, 3 different cheeses, salad, bread onions....massive!!! . I can recommend the Millionairs Fish Pie too... Huge pie, lovely flavor and texture and most filling.. Everyone had a great meal, even the Steak baguette was huge..
The pub is about 100 yrds from the Tissington Trail, we will definitely be returning to this pub on our next cycling trip around the peaks.

London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as the hype would suggest, but still good.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The starters were a huge disappointment. The chicken liver pate was horrid, tastless and soggy and the whitebait didn't taste great. We ended up leaving most of the starter, which was lucky, because the main courses are large, and extremely good and we were pleased we had room to finish them. The sausages from the specials board and the liver were both delicious. No room for puds!
Very friendly staff, dog friendly even in the evenings (for well behaved dogs), lovely atmosphere.
My advise - forget the starters and enjoy the mains!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sue S
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended country pub! Tip top service and top nosh...”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Visited here on Sunday last after a recommendation from my nephew, (thank you James).

Praise - My partner and I took the mother for a belated birthday lunch and we were non of us disappointed! Friendly attentive staff and lovely pub grub! What more could a man (or woman) ask for? Nice atmosphere too, though perhaps a tad noisy for the 75 year old mother.
Definitely a good find for Sunday lunch, though I would suggest you book beforehand or you might be reluctantly turned away, albeit in the most polite ambassador like fashion.

Constructive note - one or two improvements for the owners and they are only very slight niggles: The specials board is rather too 'special' in that's its a bit overwhelming due to the amount of information on there and I would suggest the puds are put one some kind of menu? Its a bit disconcerting for your patrons to stand looking at a menu board over a fellow patrons table. Plus those that are less able will find it a tad difficult too, the mother sure did and its due in part to her input that I have included these wee niggles, after all Mothers always right, lol.

Summary - Anyone looking for a lovely Sunday lunch or indeed any meal at any time? I would say go and try it out, you will be glad that you did. We only drove 16 miles to get there and it was well worth the drive as it turned out, so much so that we are planning to return in November for our next monthly visit to see the mother!

Conclusion - When you clap eyes on the nice big plates full of piping hot food coming out of the busy kitchen, you would be thankful you took note of my review! Oh and the Sticky toffee pud is too die for! Lashings of sticky syrupy goo on a wonderfully spongy pud with 'real' ice cream... mmm YUMMY! (And yes I know its a little its a bit indulgent, but it is nearly winter so go on, treat yourself, we all did).

Oh and in case you're wondering, I am in no way way affiliated with the Original Oak, I just thought I would write a good honest review for once as I am a real foodie and value other foodie reviews.

Enjoy!

Leek, United Kingdom
“Okay but not as good as it was!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have enjoyed eating at Royal Oak for the past couple of years and its always been excellent service and excellent food - in fact the chips are the best anywhere. However, eating here today I was left disappointed. The service was okay, but I find when the owner isn't on 'door' duty the waitresses are often chatting between themselves and often on subjects that aren't family friendly. I don't particularly want to hear about their latest night out and drunkard antics. Usually the food makes us for this.

Today the food was also disappointing, there was nothing wrong with it to complain about but the chips were average and the veg quite dry. Had this been the first visit it would be my last, however I am hoping this is a blip which will be rectified.

I was also disappointed on leaving the pub that 2 of the chefs were standing outside the kitchen door in full view of the car park smoking. This is personal preference but I find this very off putting, and don't want my food cooked by someone who has just smoked. Surely if they need to smoke I should be done where customers cannot see.

Usually I would give the food here 10 out of 10, but for the past two visits it has fallen to 6 out of ten. Not sure I want to see it decline further.

2 Thank Fab6876
hurdlow, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review - I have already taken all these points to the staff both managers, front of house and kitchen - after the half term week I have called a customer service meeting to address all the points you raised. My team and I will be working doubly hard to return to your 10 out of 10 expectations. I hope to see you again soon

Paul White