“Not as good as the hype would suggest, but still good.”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hurdlow
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode: SK17 9QJ
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The starters were a huge disappointment. The chicken liver pate was horrid, tastless and soggy and the whitebait didn't taste great. We ended up leaving most of the starter, which was lucky, because the main courses are large, and extremely good and we were pleased we had room to finish them. The sausages from the specials board and the liver were both delicious. No room for puds!
Very friendly staff, dog friendly even in the evenings (for well behaved dogs), lovely atmosphere.
My advise - forget the starters and enjoy the mains!

1  Thank Sue S

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Visited here on Sunday last after a recommendation from my nephew, (thank you James).

Praise - My partner and I took the mother for a belated birthday lunch and we were non of us disappointed! Friendly attentive staff and lovely pub grub! What more could a man (or woman) ask for? Nice atmosphere too, though perhaps a tad noisy for the 75 year old mother.
Definitely a good find for Sunday lunch, though I would suggest you book beforehand or you might be reluctantly turned away, albeit in the most polite ambassador like fashion.

Constructive note - one or two improvements for the owners and they are only very slight niggles: The specials board is rather too 'special' in that's its a bit overwhelming due to the amount of information on there and I would suggest the puds are put one some kind of menu? Its a bit disconcerting for your patrons to stand looking at a menu board over a fellow patrons table. Plus those that are less able will find it a tad difficult too, the mother sure did and its due in part to her input that I have included these wee niggles, after all Mothers always right, lol.

Summary - Anyone looking for a lovely Sunday lunch or indeed any meal at any time? I would say go and try it out, you will be glad that you did. We only drove 16 miles to get there and it was well worth the drive as it turned out, so much so that we are planning to return in November for our next monthly visit to see the mother!

Conclusion - When you clap eyes on the nice big plates full of piping hot food coming out of the busy kitchen, you would be thankful you took note of my review! Oh and the Sticky toffee pud is too die for! Lashings of sticky syrupy goo on a wonderfully spongy pud with 'real' ice cream... mmm YUMMY! (And yes I know its a little its a bit indulgent, but it is nearly winter so go on, treat yourself, we all did).

Oh and in case you're wondering, I am in no way way affiliated with the Original Oak, I just thought I would write a good honest review for once as I am a real foodie and value other foodie reviews.

Enjoy!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have enjoyed eating at Royal Oak for the past couple of years and its always been excellent service and excellent food - in fact the chips are the best anywhere. However, eating here today I was left disappointed. The service was okay, but I find when the owner isn't on 'door' duty the waitresses are often chatting between themselves and often on subjects that aren't family friendly. I don't particularly want to hear about their latest night out and drunkard antics. Usually the food makes us for this.

Today the food was also disappointing, there was nothing wrong with it to complain about but the chips were average and the veg quite dry. Had this been the first visit it would be my last, however I am hoping this is a blip which will be rectified.

I was also disappointed on leaving the pub that 2 of the chefs were standing outside the kitchen door in full view of the car park smoking. This is personal preference but I find this very off putting, and don't want my food cooked by someone who has just smoked. Surely if they need to smoke I should be done where customers cannot see.

Usually I would give the food here 10 out of 10, but for the past two visits it has fallen to 6 out of ten. Not sure I want to see it decline further.

2  Thank Fab6876
hurdlow, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review - I have already taken all these points to the staff both managers, front of house and kitchen - after the half term week I have called a customer service meeting to address all the points you raised. My team and I will be working doubly hard to return to your 10 out of 10 expectations. I hope to see you again soon

Paul White

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I took a group of 30 here to stay in the bunk barn and eat in the pub that evening and even with a group that size they handled it very professionally. They were very accommodating and happy to help with any requests or last minute changes.
Everyone got a personal welcome coming in which makes a nice change from other places we have used in the past. Staff were excellent in the way they handled the group! Food was brought out exactly at the times stated and everyone was eating soon after. As well are large portions which has been mentioned in many reviews, I do wish to highlight the excellent quality of the food! I did not hear one bad comment of any of our meals.
The bunk barn is everything you would expect and it was clean which is always a bonus!
Breakfast, again it was delivered on time and in a similar manor fast and efficient. Again cannot knock the food quality.
Just a personal thank you to Paul for his organising leading up to the visit and Charlotte and Gem-Gem for putting up with us all! Would recommend to anyone!

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The food portions were immense I couldn't even finish the homemade sticky toffee pudding.. Which is scandalous. The bar is well stocked, especially with fruit shoot, and we must have nearly drank them dry of coke. Must mention Charlotte and Gem-Gem for the impeccable and amusing service, as my colleague and I ensured they did have some alcoholic drinks to make. A really good country pub, highly recommended. :)