“Excellent Food”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hurdlow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Postcode: SK17 9QJ
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Previous guests at our B&B had recommended this pub, so we booked a table & we were certainly not disappointed, there was a good choice of food & we both had absolutely deliciuos meals on both our visits. Portions are large so it is a good idea to only have a light lunch and to avoid tea & cakes before coming here or you won't do it justice! We would certainly return if in the area.

• Visited May 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and reasonable prices”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having previously stopped in for pudding and coffee at the end of a day of cycling on the trails we decided to go for dinner on a recent trip to the Peak District. For a Thursday night the place was heaving with people so we were glad to have booked a table in advance.
Food was delicious with enormous portions but very reasonable prices. Some of the largest dishes were pricier (huge mixed grill or 20oz T-bone steak at £19) but there was also plenty of choice for the smaller wallet with several dishes at under £10. After seeing the mixed grill arrive at the table behind me I was glad I had chosen the still-huge-but-a-bit-more-manageably-sized triple chicken meal. Everything was delicious and well prepared with excellent home-cut chips and a wide range of flavours on one plate. My partner also commented that their espresso coffee was very good.
A really nice touch was the gluten free food - the menu is clearly marked with the gluten free items that either are gluten free or can be made gluten free, and the puddings included a gluten free sticky toffee sponge with ice cream that I highly recommend if you like that type of thing. It made my life much easier and I was glad to have the menu reduced in size for me. I would have struggled to make a decision otherwise, thanks to the wide choice of meals available.
Staff were also really friendly and attentive, giving us time between courses but also coming back periodically to check if we wanted to order yet.

Derby
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off at the end of the Tissington Trail. They did us a chip cob, which wasnt on the menu. Homemade chips were wonderfull and only £2.50.

Lovely staff and great service

Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stopped for lunch here today in the niddle of a day out in the Peak District on my motorcycle. I was made very welcome. A pint of excellent Bitter Shandy washed down the gorgeous Sausage & Mash from the specials board. I rounded things off with a first class Espresso. I can thoroughly reccomend this establishment.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful pub grub”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were camping at the attached campsite for 3 nights and had booked in to eat here for two of those nights. My only disappointment was that we hadn't booked to eat there the third night also.

The menu suited my palate perfectly, it was almost too difficult to decide what to eat. However, I opted for the steak and stilton pie the first night and it was delicious, ample portion too. In fact it was so good, I almost had it again the second night, but went for the game pie instead, which was equally as tasty.

With a six and nine year old in tow, we ate early both evenings, 18:00 and 18:30, but the place was pretty near full both times. I found the staff and management to be friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was very good.

Highly recommended for quality pub grub.

• Visited May 2013