“SURPRISED.”

Cuisines: Thai
Newry, United Kingdom
“SURPRISED.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I popped in whilst on holiday. I had noticed the place one evening whilst out walking dog. I was greeted by a Thai lady,whom I found out was owners wife.
They were training a new Filipino waiter and as my ex wife is from Manila we had a bond immediately.
I was given a free drink,which i choose a Singha beer. The starter I choose was salt and chilli king prawn. It was massive for a starter and really tasty. Then I had a beef red curry. It was very authentic and delicious. Just spiced right for my palate.The beef was so tasty and tender and I could taste it above the sauce flavour.The portion size was normal.
I then was tempted to desert. I choose sherry trifle and custard. It was delicious,though not much sherry. The portion size was huge again.
I ordered coffee and cream. The Filipino waiter was a wee bit confused but I told him if there was cream for desert then there was cream for coffee.He was learning and this is a Filipino trait.
I could not fault the service or food. It cost me 25 sterling with a small bottle of wine. Very good value. They have specials mid week.
I was invited to stay on and eat or have a free drink,but I was stuffed. I am going to eat again there on my way home tonight.
Dont be afraid to go there and support local enterprise. Allow for small hic cups. No ones perfect.It really is excellent!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank frankm654

dublin
“Excellent food”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I visited the Mali Greenhouse last evening and it was excellent. The food was as good as I have got in a thai restaurant. I will be back.

• Visited June 2013
Ballybofey, Ireland
“Worst Dining experience ever!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A group of us decided to meet up and try a new resteraunt in town followed by a movie.We decided on Malis Greenhouse as one of our party had heard that the food was excellent.

There were 6 of us in the group. We booked a table for 8pm with a set menu, and we ordered around 8.15. To our disbelief, we didn't recieve our starter until 9pm. If it was busy, we may have understood, but there was only one party of 4 in the restaurant besides us. Only 1 or 2 of our party were drinking as most of us were driving, hence we drank only soft drinks. I ordered Fanta and my partrner ordered Diet Coke as did the other drivers in our party. After waiting 10 minutes, we asked where our drinks were, to be told that one of the waitresses had run over to the adjacent forecourt shop to buy some cans of coke and fanta!

We finished out starters around 9.15. We waited until 9.30 before asking the waitress where our mains were. We were abruptly advised that it was on its way, but the take away was very busy and our order was delayed. Surely the resteraunt takes priority!!! Our Mains eventually arrived out at 9.55pm, almost 1 hour and 45 minutes after ordering.

In the meantime, another couple arrived in and were seated. At this point, we had already considered walking out, however, we decided not to ruin our evening by arguing with staff. The main was okay, but nothing special. We were avoided by the waiting staff also, most likely due to the fact that they knew we weren't happy. We had all finished our mains by 10.15. The owner then arrived to our table and asked if everything was okay. We told her the food was okay, but the service was extremely slow. She offered us our drinks for free and took a desert order. We advised that we needed to be out of the resteraunt by 10.40 as we were going to the cinema. The owner said that our desert would be out in 5 minutes and no to worry. We all ordered Ice Cream, just to be sure it would be served as quickly as possible. The couple who had walked in earlier, still hadn't recieved their starter at this stage!

As we expected, 20 minutes later, we were still waiting on our desert. At this point, we decided that enough was enough and we got our coats and went up to pay. When standing at the counter, the kitchen door opened and the waitress walked out with the desert. We advised that they were too late, as we had somewhere else to be, as we had advised them. The owner offered us our drinks free and gave us our set menu for half price, but it didn't do much to make up for a ruined meal with our friends. We spent the rest of the evening feeling angry and found that we could talk about nothing else besides our horrid experience. Obviously, the kitchen was in a state of complete disarray. I can't see this place lasting, as I have heard many people talking of similar experiences in Malis Greenhouse since.

We will never be back in this resteraunt again, take away or otherwise!

• Visited March 2013