“Not Impressed”

Kee's Hotel, Leisure & Wellness Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stranorlar
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Checked in and were give a room at the back of the hotel, as we had asked for, but.........outside the window was the kitchen vent. Could hardly breath in the room with the smell of that evenings dinner. Very noisy also. Stay away from room 220!!
Were given another room which was better, but still in need of redecoration, shabby carpets etc.
Some of the restuarant and kitchen staff were not on the ball, eg. received cold soup twice, and they must have thought we were stupid by landing the burnt toast at our table next morning. If the waitress had any cop-on she should have refused to even take it from the kitchen.

All in all we got the impression that relations in the kithcen\restaurant area were not all that good. Finally, the pool area was also quite grubby and in need of some renovations.

Could not recommend this hotel to stay in.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Harvey_Norman
There are newer reviews for Kee's Hotel, Leisure & Wellness Centre

Reviewed September 18, 2007

My job requires that I spent over 70% of my life in hotels, in all corners of the globe. After a while, they all seem the same. In August this year, a family wedding brought me back to my native Donegal and I decided to base myself in Kee's Hotel.

I spent 6 blissfully relaxing nights at the friendly family-run hotel, and enjoyed traditional hospitality of a variety I hadn't experienced for too long. My room was spacious, impeccably clean and furnished in an inviting traditional style. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom unusually large. I had wireless internet access and a comfortable chair and desk that allowed me to keep in touch with the office. From my room I looked over the back patio.

The food and the people at Kees are what defines the place. Given that my focus was on relaxing, I never surfaced early enough for breakfast, but I did enjoy both lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The dinner menu had both traditional and more exotic offerings and the food and service were top-notch. Sunday brunch in the carvery was also great, and the large crowd was surely a testament to its popularity. The apple crumble and custard reminded me of times past, although the profiteroles may have stolen the show!

The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful, and Arthur the night porter must surely have decided I was a party animal as I combined my lazy mornings with late nights!

I would have no hestitation in recommending Kee's Hotel and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Kees Hotel is situated in Ballybofey County Donegal. The Hotel has about 50 bedrooms and appears to be family run. The bistro is good, as was the bar food. We got a very good rate from their own website. We stayed their during winter and i have to say realy enjoyed the 'oldey worldy' ambience of the place, including the turf fires and entertainment in the bar.

However this is not a brand new 'box' hotel, so may not be to everyones taste, but we definitely would rate it for value.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hols07
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Stayed at Kees Hotel on our way to Galway one night. Even though we arrived late they made sure we got something to eat in the Bistro (and tasty too!). It was pleasant enough to relax in their old style traditional bar in front of a turf fire and listen to the live entertainment.

Actually managed to stir myself enough to get down to the pool for half an hour before a good breakfast the next day.

I would have to say that this hotel is what it is, a smallish (50 rooms i think) 3 star hotel in the middle of a small Donegal Town, family run, and as far as i could make out, at least 2 family members were in attendance. I wouldn't really have a problem to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pioneer-traveler
Reviewed September 8, 2007

my friend and i went to kees hotel for a 2 night weekend break in July 2005 and as i just found out about this site i thought i would write a review. The reception area was nice but our rooms were a nightmare. The room was dirty, had shabby marked walls, the furniture was ancient, the beds were so uncomfortable and to cap it all there was a hole under the carpet in our room and u could feel it when u walked across it and we were afraid we would fall through the roof!! The breakfast was dire and the cups and teapot had tea stains on them on the outside from the previous sitting! The floorboards outside our room and in the rooms beside us and above us were creaking every time someone went past and this then kept us up half the night and again early in the morning. I complained to the receptionist who said she would tell the manager. I never got no apologies and never saw the manager and got no reduction in the price or were we moved to another room. The only member of staff who i found helpfull was the nightporter as he was extremely helpfull. When i came home i was more tired than if i had been working all weekend, it was meant to be a relaxing break but was quite the opposite!! I wrote further letters to the hotel manager and to board failte but never got any response. So i would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they like dirty rooms with holes in the floor and like to get no sleep!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with friends
2  Thank amandachilling2003
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Stayed at this hotel in the summer. Not much going on in Ballybofey to keep you occupied. Hotel is dated, worn carpets and very old furniture. Floors upstairs are wobbly nearly makes you seasick. To get to my room was like going into a rabbit warren, down corridors, upstairs, downstairs etc. But the crowning glory had to be that pool. A grimy tide mark all around the rim and salty tasting water - what is that all about. The food was below average - you would need a chain saw to cut through the beef. The only positive was an older woman in the breakfast room, the other staff were indifferent. Would not go back here.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank BEENROUNDTHEWORLD
Reviewed July 8, 2007

my husband and i checked into kee`s 4 july2007 and checked out on the same day our sons had booked a 2 night midweek break to help us celebrate our 33 wedding anniversary.
they paid extra for a superior room. we were allocated a room at the rear it was dirty the chairs were ripped with foam coming out of them a picture on the wall had no glass the wall was badly marked in need of a coat of paint
the bathroom had parts of the taps missing the tiles were mouldy and dirty
when we complained to management a member of the kee`s family we were told that was the only room when we asked for our money back we were asked to leave
we did and we had a lovely break at the mill park hotel in donegal

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LarneLady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranorlar
Villa Rose Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Kee's Hotel, Leisure & Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!