“Poor service and food”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely day out in the Cotswolds (80 mile round trip) of which the feature of the day was lunch at The Fox Inn, where we have on two other occasions had good meals (albeit these were in the week). Today was a huge disappointment and we certainly won't be back. Clearly they were busy but my husband and I have been to plenty of other busy pubs on a Sunday and not had the impression that the staff couldn't cope. When we arrived for our pre-booked table we stood at the entrance for a while until someone finally asked if we were being seen to. The lady that asked us pointed to a table and said "that's yours, straight ahead" although she quickly realised it might be more polite to show us to the table. We then sat there for a while as staff raced around us but at no point did anyone indicate that they would be with us soon. I eventually went and asked if we could place an order - the girl I spoke to was extremely polite and apologetic and the only member of staff who can credit herself with any form of service. She told us they were very busy which was obvious but that doesn't allow any establishment to not pay attention to their clientele.

Our order was taken - one risotto and one roast beef. When it came out the food was very nice but luke warm - so you find yourself rushing to eat it before it goes completely cold. The waiter in our area, Gavin, asked us how the food was and we said "nice but not very warm". He appeared very surprised and then bluntly asked us if we wanted to send it back to be redone. He didn't apologise once for the issue. Given that it was almost 3pm we declined the offer and decided just to eat it. When we had finished he took the plates away and didn't say anything again about the food quality or apologise for the lack of heat. A few minutes later he silently went to pass us menus (I assume he was offering dessert!) and we said no, we just wanted the bill. A few minutes after that he came back over and said "we're not charging you for the food as you didn't like it". That may seem to be a generous offer but the way it was delivered was appalling - he offered no apology, made me feel like I was in the wrong for raising the issue - and in fact, he was wrong - we did like the food, it just wasn't hot.
I would NEVER return to this pub again - I don't expect to pay these sorts of prices for such ignorant service. We get the distinct impression that unless you fall in the local, upper-class champagne swilling clientele then they really aren't interested in you.
Best of luck to anyone going on Mother's Day. If they can't cope with a regular Sunday then how they will manage next weekend is hard to imagine.

P.S. The dishes of salt and pepper might seem trendy, but given that I don't know whether the last person who put their fingers in the bowl washed their hands after going to the toilet, I would prefer a proper salt and pepper shaker.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Vickstar

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Menu prices are at the top end (£20 for a small sirloin, tiny portion of fries and a handful of out of the bag salad) compared with other pubs in the area. Sadly the quality of food isn't. Like most people, I don't mind paying high prices for the best. The Fox needs to get things in balance - average food for average money.
Otherwise, a good local atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank CotswoldReviews
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had a wonderful stay where the young staff were brilliant, the food excellent and the accomodation excellent - nothing was ever a trouble.
Our stay was all too brief, 2nights in Garden Room with our friends in Heythorpe and it is our certain intention to return.
If one was to pick fault we found difficult the garden room shower difficult to set but this in no way detracted from our enjoyment

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank James M
Reviewed January 16, 2012

we've been to The Fox at least 10 times, sometimes with family groups or just the two of us and it has always been amazing. It is the kind of place to spend several hours with a pint by the fire or a glass of fizz in the garden. The starters are always out of this world and they have a good choice of mains and puddings. it's a different menu every day, always seasonal, good quality food. Eating at The Fox is a lovely day out.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dranners
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I have just checked out and wish I could stay another night. I was looking for a peaceful, relaxing break away from the hectic life of London and this did the trick. Staff are amazing extremely polite and go out of there way to help. The food,wine and local ales (hookey ale) are exceptional. The fox inn over all is set in a beautifully quaint village. The interior is traditionally British with a large roaring fire which is incredibly wellcoming. The rooms are individuly decorated and extremely comfortable.
If you are looking for a relaxing break, with country walks, followed by great food and wine this is the place to stay. I give it 5 stars all round!!! Can't wait to stay again

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I am sad to say that we are now, as previously regulars, unlikely to go back to the Fox again.
It is twee & great for visitors particularly first time, but I cannot accept the terrible attitude from the owner to our booking yesterday sunday 23rd October !
We stopped coming a few months ago, with the same attitude when we had pre booked certain tables well in advance, plus they over book, don have enough staff, leave you hanging around & very often run out of lots of dishes! ----.I am pleased they are doing very well, but that doesnt help them respect your booking as they are always reminding you how busy they are!
We wanted to book a table for 6 for 2pm Sunday lunch, so we visited in person last thursday, we were greeted & looked after by Patrick who restored our faith to try again.
He remembered us, we talked about some of their helpful staff moving on, which was apity!

However, we said we did not want any mix ups again & them giving away our table,
& we having to be terribly grateful to sit anywhere because they are so busy & dont care!
We had some very old friends who had come out of hospital plus my newly qualified Doctor son, driving up from Torbay to join us! I asked Patrick to make sure we had Table 1 for 6 people.please! he said he will be there so dont worry, which was great!
I telephoned at 11am Sunday morning to ask if we could come a little earlier, as my son was making good time on his long journey.
I checked if it was the very helpful Patrick, but Alas it was Ian the owner, I asked about the table & he immediately jumped in & said its booked out & they cant guarantee any table -
Yes,--- plus the usual we have got hundreds of bookings, so you are lucky to be in?
He suggested cancelling as we will only be disssappointed, I said I didnt want to cancel,
I just wanted that table we had booked days earlier, but he said he had let it out now, internet booking! no regard for our booking!
I said to him, can you not say to the people " can we have the table back for 2pm ish, as it was already booked out & we didnt want to let you down either"
he said flat no!, then he had the dreadful audacity to cancel my booking & say I am only going to be dissappointed & said good bye.
Now leaving me the pridicument of finding a table for 6 within acouple of hours - unbelievable!

whilst I am pleased they are doing well,particularly in this economy, I really hate that obnoxious attitude that we have to be so grateful & have no rights.
I have seen in the past a few businesses get ahead of themselves & believe thay are indispensible too, & later on come to grief.

I dont care how busy you are & how well you are doing, but some respectful decency & humilty always goes a long way, Fox by name & fox by nature!
you have been warned!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Reuben4
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have just come back from Sunday lunch at this place. We booked earlier in the week. We were there with my in-laws who are in their 70s.

Having arrived at 1pm and worried immediately as we had to park several hundred yards away, we went into the pub. First impressions were good. Shown to our table and brought a chilled jug of water. After 15 minutes we were finally offered drinks. 3 arrived, one came another 15 minutes later after constant asking.

At 2pm we has still not been asked for our order, so we finally managed to attract the attention of a clearly stressed waitress. She said the kitchen was very busy and suggested she brought us some starters to share to "keep us going". These arrived, but when we asked for side plates we were told they had run out. Incredible.

We had been told the roast beef came rare (which suited me and I asked for it to be as rare as possible). My mother in law asked for hers to be medium. When they arrived they were clearly overcooked. I queries this and was told it was just the (disgusting floury) gravy over the meat. My mother in law left most of hers. The pork which the other two guests had was similarly overcooked and tough. In hindsight we suspect this was last week's meat frozen and re-heated in gravy as a pot roast. The vegetables were overcooked and mean in quantity.

At no stage were we offered replacement drinks. At 3.30, some two and a half hours after arriving we had to ask for pudding menus. To be on the safe side we asked for coffee at the same time and a small glass of wine. The puddings and coffee arrived but unsurprisingly no wine.

When we came to pay the bill we were very surprised to see that the shared starter suggested by the waitress had been charged for, when she had clearly suggested that it was a gesture as the main course would be so long. After much discussion the bar member (apparently they don't have a manager at the moment!) said that they has 180-200 covers and were only staffed up for 120. The kitchen was "stressed". Clealry the hot weather had caught them out.

We finally agreed to a 10% discount on the bill but left with a literally and metaphorically bad taste in our mouth.

We are not fussy. We just expect relaxed and reasonable service and for the food to be at least edible.

Go near this place at your peril...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Fiona K

Been to The Fox Inn? Share your experiences!