“Charming Authentic Country Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester, New Jersey
“Charming Authentic Country Pub”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We just love this place and actually it has been our favorite for a long time. We last visited in May 2014. It is located in the little Cotswold village of Lower Oddington. We had not made a reservation for lunch so we knew that there would be a wait. It was no problem for us as we decided to take a look-see around the village. You can see and appreciate so much more on foot rather than by car. I took many photographs of cottage doorways festooned with roses, wisteria, clematis and other pretty blossoms. We took a walk down a lane to a spectacular, very old little church. When we got back to The Fox Inn we chose to sit out in the enclosed back garden. It was a warm, sunny day so it was a perfect, calming spot to enjoy the weather. We welcomed two glasses of rose served perfectly chilled. Although, sorry... I cannot remember what we ate...we have always enjoyed our meals here. We were surprised to hear that there were new owners since our last visit. But the new owners have carried on the tradition of creating tasty, innovative cuisine at a reasonable price. We have also visited here in the winter and it is so lovely, cozy and warm. Especially in the main bar room. Always love the seasonal/local food choices on the menu. The staff is very friendly and does not rush you. Some people may find the service a bit slow but we, being Americans, welcome the change of pace. To be able enjoy our meal and wine leisurely and take in the wonderful old world charm is heaven!

• Visited May 2014

Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

On a visit to the Cotswold's we booked well in advance for an evening birthday meal, knowing that it is a popular, "foodie" pub in the area. One warning, parking can be a bit of a nightmare. I parked on the road around the corner from the pub, making sure I was not blocking anyone's driveway, but still got a snotty note stuck on my windscreen. The pub was pretty full on arrival, and got fuller - I think maybe they cram too many tables in for comfort as you are very close to your neighbours. The food, when it came, was very good, though my husband's turbot was very bony, but the service was extremely slow and the time between finishing our main course and actually getting any attention to even order a dessert was well over 45 minutes.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Y0rkshire_Lady
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
“Unique Country Pub Experience”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have been to the Fox a few times and are never disappointed, the food, service and atmosphere are unique to this lovely country inn, nothing is to much trouble for the staff and while we were there last time we had a look at the accommodation which was very nice, we will keep that on the back burner for a special occasion.Walkers seem to find this country inn on there travels and have lunch as the hospitality is really nice. We can't wait to return. Louise has that cheeky but efficient style of hosting.

• Visited July 2014
London
“favourite restaurant in the Cotswolds”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is far and away my favourite restaurant in the Cotswolds. I have eaten many times here and celebrated various events. I ate here once the night before riding at Cheltenham the next day - an epic memory.

The restaurant has recently come under new management and is as superb as ever. I am sure that other restaurants may have better service (although if they do they are not in the North Cotswolds; I won't mention names but the service here is 5 star compared to some equivalent venues).

Good with dogs / children. I love coming here mid-week when it's a bit quieter but still busy.

The only down side, if there is one, is that the old kitchen area (now further seating) is slightly soulless. (Also they used to do wonderful garlic bread which I miss.)

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank lazy_and_spoilt
bracknell berkshire
“Great Find”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Went here with my partner for a spot of lunch after a couple we met the night before telling us about the place.
My partner had been getting good reviews previously about the place.
Family run establishment which is good to see.
The pub/restaurant has a real country feel about the place and is certainly different from the norm!!
Great old decor.
We had not booked and they were very busy inside and outside but the staff did not have a problem in finding us a seat and was told they may be a slight delay than normal with the food as they were very busy which was not a problem for us and at least they were honest not like some establishments.
To be honest when we were served the food and drinks were no longer arriving than most places.
We only had a starter each as we were eating in the evening so did not want to have to much.
I had the tuna which was superb and my partner the mozzarella salad which was also great washed down with a glass of rose again superb and i had a ginger,elderflower and mint fizz drink that was again great.
I can not comment on the mains or deserts but i did take a look at some of the dishes that were coming out from the kitchen and they did look good.
After this experience we will certainly be giving this place a visit to sample some more of the food.
Keep up the good work.