“It is a special place”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed August 6, 2019

My wife and I stopped by to see if it was indeed one of the must-do places to have a meal. Our intention was to scope it out for a dinner and just have a drink while we perused the menu, but we had not had lunch. We were served by a wonderful person, Maryanne, who was a dream of a server. We ended up having a lunch that was superb. After lunch the restaurant was completely empty and Maryanne graciously showed us some of the art and gave us descriptions of some of the pieces. Frankly, based on reviews I had a preconceived notion that it was a tourist spot but that proved entirely incorrect. I would not want to miss a meal there if I were in Zurich. And a late lunch is a great option for a no-wait meal.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank HowardPeters
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

We are very happy to hear that your visit at the Kronenhalle exceeded your expectations and that you have enjoyed a memorable late lunch. Thank you for your great comments!

Would be great to welcome you again soon and best regards

Your Kornenhalle Team

Write a reviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed July 15, 2019

the restaurant is an institution in Zurich existing 100 years. maybe the best crevette cocktail and Zuericher Geschnetzeltes. The pricing is eye-watering and the winelist shocks you but ones in a while you have to come and watch the people, absolutely great.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank 1712RR
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Thank you for your great comments, we look forward to welcome all your friends too!

Best regards

Reviewed July 12, 2019

My hopes for Kronenhalle was exceptionally high due to its vast history as well as its status as a 'must try in Zürich'.
However, the value for money was subpar at best. Don't get me wrong, the food was not bad at all, but at that price range I would've expected more - especially considering the cheaper alternatives to Kronenhalle which the same, if not even better quality of food. The fries however reminded me of something you'd expect to get at a kid's menu paired with a fish filet which was quite disappointing to be honest.
The atmosphere was basically non-existant. We were sat in a room with a maximum of 4 other guests with more empty tables than guests. It was so dull that the conversation following our desserts ended up being "Great - would it be possible for us to pay?".
So from my point of view, I can't seem to wrap my head around why I should come back to Kronenhalle when there are cheaper, more atmospheric and culinarily superior restaurants only a few steps away from where this restaurant is located.

Date of visit: June 2019
3  Thank Stefan A
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2019

Dear Stefan

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you have not been 100% satisfied about our services.

During the summer months it might be a little bit quiteter at lunch time, nevertheless a lot of guests enjoy the private atmosphere than and the hours they can observe the original art on the walls.

Perhaps we have the chance to welcome you again once for dinner, as we are convinced that you would like the packed situation.

Best regards
your Kronenhalle Team

Reviewed June 18, 2019

We took a chance on a Monday lunchtime to get a table in this old establishment.
We were lucky as we were seated straight away, I ordered a light salad as a starter and veal as a main course.
The service here is very old school, but a strange event happened, the waiter serves from a serving dish, and leaves a little, I guess if the diner wants to have a little more, however when I had finished my main course, the waiter returned with more food which I presumed was for another table, but then he offered it to me!. I declined but I found it all a little strange. Having said all that , it was a great fun lunch, and I would recommend it to anybody while in Zurich

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank degustibusirl
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Thanks for your positive comments, we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed a "great fun lunch".

Ordering the sliced veal "Kronenhalle", it is correct that you are going to be served twice (as many other dishes on the card too), this was, is and will always be the philosophy of the Kronenhalle.

We look forward to welcome you again soon and we send you our best regards

Reviewed June 8, 2019

They may have a storied past which sounds very interesting, but our experience was average at best. We were really disappointed after reading so much about the restaurants past history. I would suggest they focus on their present, instead of their past.
Very expensive, (even compared to Swiss Michelin starred chef restaurants) and the food and service were ordinary at best.
There are many other fine options in Zurich where you can enjoy great food and service.

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank Crucian
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied about our sevice performances. What would have been your expectations?

We look forward to get your moore detailed feedback and best regards