“Beautiful dining room but poor food and expressionless staff”
Review of Kronenhalle

Kronenhalle
Ranked #65 of 2,040 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

I was VERY disappointed with this Zürich institution. I do not know why anyone would pay this much for very basic food and such a expressionless and unfriendly staff. I did not feel anything special as a guest and felt the restaurant was doing me a favor to serve me. The halibut was terrible especially for the price. The preparation was nothing special and was just steamed and on a plate with cardboard tasting sides. The dining room is beautiful and the location is excellent but everything else just falls off the scale of what I consider good food! There are much better restaurants in Zurich for food and service at this price level.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank mbryant73
chris110560, Geschäftsführer at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our services. Therefore I apologize personally.

Certainly I will analyze the food quality with our Executive Chef. Concerning the Service I have been personally in the Restaurant last evening and as per our tradition I welcomed every guest by hand shaking, as the direkt contact with our guests is our most important Credo, sorry that the spark didn't reach you.

We hope anyway that you will find the way again to the Kronenhalle to be a happy guest as so many others.

Christian Dangel & Kronenhalle Team

Write a reviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed January 4, 2019 via mobile

This is a very comfortable restaurant in nice area of the city. The staff here are excellent as is the food. We were a table of 5 for lunch and everyone enjoyed their food. I highly recommend this place to visitors. All the locals already know it.

Date of visit: June 2018
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2019

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Thank you for being our great Ambassador!

We look forward to welcome you soon again and best regards

Reviewed January 3, 2019

Best food and experience in town. This is Zurich fine dining at its best with authentic and creative dishes, excellent staff, central location and perfect ambiance.

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Thank you for your top comments!

We hope to welcome you again soon and best regards

Reviewed December 25, 2018

I know of nowhere else in the world where you can sit among the Picassos and Braques and other Masters of the 20th century and have a superb dinner. We have been there twice in the last six months and the food and service have been exemplary.Be sure to call well in advance and ask to sit in the main dining room. They will also make available to you a booklet on the history of the restaurant.
The menu is Swiss and I had an absolutely delicious leg of veal cut from the cart right at our table.

Date of visit: December 2018
chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2018

Dear Celebration Tiger

Thank you for your lovely comments and for being our Ambassador!

Reviewed December 24, 2018

No, no, no. We had two nights in Zurich and wanted Swiss cuisine. We were seduced by the beautiful photos of wood paneled walls, priceless art, a retro air, and classic menu. The ambience, though bustling, is lovely in a traditional European way. The people are hospitable, particularly the maitre'd and our sweet server. But, the food! My goodness, it is terrible and TERRIBLY expensive. I have no issue paying high prices for great food but not for awful food. The herring was fishy to the point of inducing nausea. The shrimp ravioli stuck to the plate. The sea bass was overcooked and sitting on a bed of cabbage-y/potato mush. The only decent dish was the pumpkin soup. Their famous bar has a good mocktail list - we tried one which was decent and then asked the bar to create something different and not too sweet. They brought... the same exact drink. Clearly, this restaurant is going through the motions and not the real deal.

3  Thank FlyinFinn1

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

We are very sorry to hear that you did not like our food and you even describe it as "terrible"..... perhaps you should try next time the sliced veal "Kronenhalle", as you can see from the other comments "the best in town"!