“Still Exceptional! Love this place!”
Review of Ah Hua

Ah Hua
Ranked #480 of 1,918 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Langstrasse
Zurich, Switzerland
“Still Exceptional! Love this place!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went for a meal with 4 friends last night (Wednesday) and the place was ram packed. Not only was it full throughout the evening, it had over 3 seatings! This has to be one of the most successful restaurants in the country.

As everyone else says, RESERVE. If you don't you'll have to wait and you'll get sat on other people's tables (which will happen anyway even if you've reserved :)).

For those who have never been, the décor is nothing special at all, it's very simple, the wait staff are friendly but too busy to waste time chatting and the whole atmosphere is quite frankly organized chaos. That said, it is authentic and I absolutely love it. Far far better than pretentious clinical European chichi places that serve bland food in a bland ambiance by bland people. Ah Hua is the real deal, period. It is one of the places where Thai residents of Zürich dine when they eat out.

As the place is extremely busy, do not expect good service. The wait staff are friendly but they are simply too busy. And that's perfectly fine with me.

We ordered a round of Singhas, veg spring rolls and chicken satay for starters. The spring rolls are really nice, small and stuffed with well flavoured veggies. Unfortunately the satays were not good at all. Rather then grilled they had been fried and were dried out. But it didn't bother us as it was just a small starter.

For mains we had 2 duck & aubergine ped pad peds (red curry stir fry), a chicken massamun, a duck red curry and a veg red curry. Everything was exceptional, really superb. The curries were full flavoured yet not spicy, so that my wimpy friends wouldn't cry. Only my curry was hot as I had asked for.

Not only are the prices very low for Zürich (18-22 francs, I believe rice is an extra chf 3 each), the portions are enormous. I was the only one to finish my meal. Where can one eat such fantastic food in Zürich at those prices? Nowhere. Period.

As I am a chilli freak, I asked for their selection of chillie sauces and a tray of 4 bowls was brought to me; red chillies in vinegar, red chilli sauce, red chillies in fish sauce and dried red chillies. I was in heaven. Throughout the meal we kept ordering Singhas, I alone ended up having 6 in our 2 hour dinner :).

All in all this place is fantastic. You will never go wrong. And if by slim chance you don't like something, talk to the supervisor and he will sort it out for you. Don't expect gourmet as this place doesn't do it, but the food is exceptionally fine and to me, that is real fine dining!

• Visited October 2013

Zurich, Switzerland
“Best Thai food in Zurich”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My colleagues and I frequent this establishment regularly; needless to say, this is some of the best Thai food that Zurich has to offer. The prices are quite reasonable (considering Zurich pricing standards) and the food portions lean on the munificent side. Dinner reservations are recommended, throw a dart at the calendar and you can expect the place to be jammed on that evening. Try the number 38, you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
“I love it”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food is great!
If I want to have thai food, this is the place I go. It can be very busy and chaotic, but that's exactly what makes this place feel like an authentic asian restaurant (this is how restaurants often feel in asia to me)
Just make sure you reserve a table.

• Visited July 2013
Bern, Switzerland
“Delicious, authentic Thai”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I visited Ah Hua many times while in Zurich. It is one of the best Thai places in town. The ginger fish is excellent, as well as the sweet and sour (shrimps, tofu), the papaya salad and so on.... Sometimes they have deserts which are not on the menu, it's worth asking for them. The ingredients are very healthy and fresh.
The restaurant gets busy in the evenings, especially Thursday - Saturday. It's better to make a reservation or go there rather late on these days.

• Visited June 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Don't forget to reserve!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

There are no way to eat in this place without reservation. Unless you're really lucky.
The foods are excellent. Very authentic Asian cuisine. But the place is really packed and full.
So if really willing to have real Asian food come here.

• Visited March 2013