“Really great Thai food”

Ranked #55 of 2,027 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Thai Restaurant est. 1995, Since same owner. No MSG. A la carte evenings: exclusively bio beef, Mangrove sustainable shrimp, bio porc. Only best quality products.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We arrived quite late, for Zürich standards, so we were not able to order exactly what we wanted. But that wasn't necessarily a bad thing as it forced me to be adventurous and it was excellent. Great tasting, top quality Thai food. Expensive of course...its Zürich!

1  Thank Shaz K

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Perfect location (in the heart of Zurich, easily accessible by public transport) but very small (they can hardly accommodate more than 3 people at the same table). Although a little loud, the atmosphere was not at all as disagreeable as I read in some TripAdvisor reviews. In fact, I found it quite romantic.
The food was good but not spectacular, my portion was more than enough.
For a vegetarian main course and a coke I spent 32 CHF (approx. 26 euro).

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The menu was fairly extensive and the food was fine but nothing remarkable or unusual. The prices were steep, compared to a similar restaurant in London.

1  Thank deeboy
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Ban Song Thai

I visited on Valentine's day for the lunch buffet. This was a return visit since my first try last September. The food and service continues to excell in every aspect. On offer today was an excellent coconut soup with chicken and mushrooms. There was a seafood (shrimp, prawns) platter amoungst the other selections of beef, chicken, noodles, tofu and a medley of veggies.

So when going for lunch head there early, before 11.45 to be seated immediately or make a resrvation. The place fills up fast as it is a small restaurant. The taste and quality of the food is excellent and the staff constantly keeps the food well stocked, so no need to ever feel you must wait for more food to be brought out. For more detailed information of the pricing of the lunch and pictures, please see my earlier review. Amazingly they have continued to offer a great meal for the same low all you can eat price and there is also a pay by weight option.

I would certainly return again and again for this great lunch deal.

(Mr. Ruedi you forgot about my Swiss beer).

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went here after reading great reviews on TA, and were not disappointed. We felt that all the dishes ordered were really delicious, authentic Thai cuisine. Better than most of the Thai food we enjoyed on a recent trip to that country. The red curry chicken with eggplant was particularly well prepared, with a superb curry sauce. The green papaya salad was also great as an appetizer. The service was courteous and efficient. My only two negatives are the price of the dishes (I'm not used to ever paying that much for Thai food; Switzerland IS EXPENSIVE!)
Also, the refusal to serve tap water is just plain bad strategy. The restaurant is very succesful. This policy stings of feeling ripped off. Give free tap water if the client prefers to be green and avoid using bottled water. I've been to BYOB restaurants many times. But bringing your "own bottle" usually refers to wine wine, never to water.

Ruedi R, Inhaber at Ban Song Thai, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear thetraveldoc
Thank you very much for your contribution on Trip advisor.
It is hard for me to read that serving you water has been denied. I’m very sorry and apologize on behalf of our staff.
We do have the policy to charge Sfr. 3.-- for a 5 dl carafe of water. But only to customers who do not order any drink but tab water. If a soft drink, wine, tee or coffee is ordered before, with or after Lunch/dinner, the amount for the water will be cancelled and tab water is served free of charge.
All the best