“Great authentic Swiss food experience”

Restaurant Swiss Chuchi
Ranked #26 of 2,050 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed July 4, 2011

A must when in Zurich! Cheese fondue with all the trimmings. The most delicious cheese, bread, meat and potato experience you would expect when visiting a local-fare restaurant in Switzerland. I've never had to ask anyone to help me or show me how to eat a meal, so when the fondue and the small burner for cheese and ham (schinken) arrived, the meal not only tasted amazing, but was fun as well. This would be a great place to bring a group or even to dine as a couple. I went with a friend, who was traveling with me and we loved the entire experience so much that we found ourselves taking photos of the food as it was so fun and delicious. I would definitely return and would also recommend this place to friends. The atmosphere is warm with knotty pine walls, inviting decor and seating both inside and outside. Attentive and knowledgable staff who spoke English and were pleasant. Look for the blue cow on the 2nd floor exterior as your landmark when looking for the restaurant in this busy and popular location in Old Town Zurich.

1  Thank nygalonthego
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We visited this restaurant because the lady at the tourist information stand recommended it for Swiss fondue. Swiss fondue is extremely different from American fondue. We found this restaurant poor in every aspect including atmosphere, food but especially service. It was our first time eating fondue and the staff was extremely unhelpful. We were unfamiliar with what to get and the staff was extremely arrogant and refused to offer their assistance. Rajan was our server and was especially rude. Also you must order one entree per person!!!!! You cannot order two appetizers and one entree for three people without the servers rolling their eyes at you. We asked rajan simple questions about the meal and he rolls his eyes at us. please do no make the same mistake we made by visiting this restaurant and save your money.

1  Thank anoorali
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Fondue is tasteless, they made a mistake and brought not ordered fondue for the first time. You may wait fot waiter for ages. Nothing good about this place.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Any restaurant serving fondue in summer is a tourist trap - when you have some you'll find out why the Swiss only eat fondue in winter - but this one surely takes the cake, daring to try to charge for tap water! I choose this restaurant because it was the only one I saw serving fondue, a tour guide (affiliated with Zurich's official tourism body), later told me that most hotel restaurants will make fondue for you if you ask.
The service is okay - some of the waiters were really nice, some were a bit snobby, that's fairly standard in Europe. I've never had fondue before so I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like, I enjoyed the first few bights of mine then started to get heat exhaustion!
When I paid my bill in cash the waiter kept the change, I thought that was another tourist-trap-thing at the time but a hotel concierge later told me that, in Europe, if you hand over cash and say 'thank you', the waiter will assume that the change, if it is not much, is a tip; if you want change you should tell the waiter how much you want, whilst tipping is not generally expected waiters do tend to expect to get at least small change from English speakers (even Australians!).

Reviewed May 7, 2011

We chose to eat inside rather than on the street - first mistake. We were shown to a dark corner and left there for ten minutes before any menus were brought. We were then rushed for our choice, and chose not to go for the ubiquitous cheese fondue but for raclette mit poule - second mistake. The largest element of the dish was ten large slices of cheese to melt onto ten small potatoes served in a sack, accompanied by a few paltry slivers of chicken that we had to cook ourselves on an electric griddle. We were not offered a dessert or coffee, and it was half an hour after we finished eating before our waiter reappeared and we could request the bill, with a further ten minutes before it was brought. Even then we would not have been able to leave had not a waitress come after another ten minutes and taken our money (for which she was admonished).
The bill for the two raclettes, two glasses of water, and two 0.1l glasses of house wine was 79.5 chf (about £60). As in all swiss restaurants service is included in the price, so we had to pay for it whether we liked it or not.
We shall treat with great caution any similar recommendations in our guide to Zurich.