“Very good and (for Zurich) unusual food.”
Review of Josef

Josef
Ranked #139 of 2,027 Restaurants in Zurich
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Nice atmosphere, interesting interior concept, located on Josefstrasse (the more gentrified part of the Langstrasse area.) Make a reservation in advance.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

If I have visitors in Zürich, I have no doubts: Josef Restaurant. I have been here more than five times. I was never disappointed. The restaurant offers a creative fresh gorgeous cuisine. The selection of wines is also well thought. In the current menu, I would distinguish the delicious tender braised beef with beans and hollandaise sauce, and the homemade ravioli of gorgonzola, pears and spinach. Also, I loved the grilled scallops with chorizo with purée of white beans with rosemary. The chocolate cake with cream was the coronation of the evening. An excellent gastronomic offer. A lot of noise, though: bearable thanks to the great food.

1  Thank Salvador P
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Trendy, happening place. Don't come here for a romantic dinner though. I really enjoyed the concept & food, found it a bit too pricey though. But looks like they can still afford to keep the price high, as the place is always bustling. Recommended for a Friday & Saturday evening before going out, with DJs playing later on at the bar.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were recommended to try this restaurant, in an area away from the centre of the city, as it was receiving rave reviews. We were utterly disappointed. It was full to bursting, we were sat at a tiny table near some office party and it was so noisy we could not hear each other across the table. The menu was limited, the food unmemorable - steak and fish, soup and a local Swiss wine (which was excellent). I was so disappointed with the service too - our waitress stopped talking to us after a while, simply slamming the food down on the table with no comments or even a smile. The next day we went to a vegetarian restaurant in the city centre and the contrast could not have been more stark. Avoid Josef, try other places first and have a really good night out instead.

1  Thank steviecee
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I'd dinner there last Tuesday. The place was lively and the atmosphere was good.

The menu was in German but the lady took the trouble to translate every item for me. In the end, I took the Josef Menu at 64 CHF which comprised of 5 dishes as follows:

Steak tatar with toast
Polenta with mushrooms cooked in Staub la cocotte
Panfried scallops in light tomato sauce
Pork belly
Chocolate cake

The food was delicious in particular the scallops. On the whole, good value for money considering the high prices in Zurich.