“not cheap, but great value”
Review of Josef

Josef
Ranked #150 of 1,970 Restaurants in Zurich
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Almost guide michelin worthy food for half the price... It's always crowded, so service quality is a bit of a hit-and-miss...

There are newer reviews for Josef

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had booked a table online through a third party website which seemed to be a scam. Anyway the guy taking reservations was really apologetic but he had no tables. My husband and I walked trying to find somewhere to eat on a Saturday night and just when we were about to give up he appeared with a champagne bottle and 2 glasses. He offered us to wait a bit for a table and drink a glass on the house! I couldn't believe the extra step he had taken. It was really super nice of him and of course I was on cloud nine. We drank our champagne and got a table. The food was beyond exquisite. I have lived in Zurich for 2 years and this is the BEST food in town. And the best service. The Froie gras, beef tartar and the veal cheek are to die for. We also had the chicken and scallops which were really really good. My advice is order your plates in the same order you want to eat them. The wine selection is good too. If you are in Zurich this is a must, it's different because you can order 3-4 plates... The idea is tasting - picking - sharing. Lovely!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My most recent visit was my third time to this restaurant within the last five years. Every time I've gone I've been impressed. I ordered four courses and loved every one. But I was blown away by the Schweinbrust! I would go back again and again just for that! The steak tartar and asian shrimp were also wonderful!

1  Thank jskzug
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I ate here with friends. We all opted for the tasting menu. Every course was delicious, although the beef tartar was my favorite! The olive tapanade that was paired with it was perfect. The goat cheese/ricotta patty with ratatoulle was also wonderful. The only course that did not live up to expectations was the herb crusted pork. The pork itself was perfectly cooked and juicy, but the crust was more like a thick, cold hat. It seemed as though they cooked the pork and then cut a square of some kind of breadcrumb herb patty on top (and it wasnt good). The menu was under 70 CHF, which is pretty good for Switzerland! I would eat here again.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

The food in Zürich is absurdly expensive. Josef has consistently provided excellent food for a reasonable price (if you compare it with other local restaurants). I love the concept of choosing different small dishes. The menu changes seasonally. My husband and I typically share 6 - 8 different things and are always completely stuffed. On a couple of occasions I found 1 or 2 dishes to be too salty for my NYC taste. The house wine is delicious and only 5.5 CHF for 1 dl. The full wine list is also very good. I'm not crazy about the deserts, except for the passionfruit & cucumber sorbet, which is amazing. You must reserve ahead of time. I would also recommend going early (first seating). Otherwise, the later the night gets, the slower the service becomes and the louder the restaurant gets. Still, the staff is friendly and the atmosphere pretty cool.

1  Thank Melania S