“Consistently Great Food!”

Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
Zurich
“Consistently Great Food!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My most recent visit was my third time to this restaurant within the last five years. Every time I've gone I've been impressed. I ordered four courses and loved every one. But I was blown away by the Schweinbrust! I would go back again and again just for that! The steak tartar and asian shrimp were also wonderful!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank jskzug

Frankfurt, Germany
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I ate here with friends. We all opted for the tasting menu. Every course was delicious, although the beef tartar was my favorite! The olive tapanade that was paired with it was perfect. The goat cheese/ricotta patty with ratatoulle was also wonderful. The only course that did not live up to expectations was the herb crusted pork. The pork itself was perfectly cooked and juicy, but the crust was more like a thick, cold hat. It seemed as though they cooked the pork and then cut a square of some kind of breadcrumb herb patty on top (and it wasnt good). The menu was under 70 CHF, which is pretty good for Switzerland! I would eat here again.

• Visited July 2012
Zürich
“After 2.5 years, still my favorite in Zürich”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

The food in Zürich is absurdly expensive. Josef has consistently provided excellent food for a reasonable price (if you compare it with other local restaurants). I love the concept of choosing different small dishes. The menu changes seasonally. My husband and I typically share 6 - 8 different things and are always completely stuffed. On a couple of occasions I found 1 or 2 dishes to be too salty for my NYC taste. The house wine is delicious and only 5.5 CHF for 1 dl. The full wine list is also very good. I'm not crazy about the deserts, except for the passionfruit & cucumber sorbet, which is amazing. You must reserve ahead of time. I would also recommend going early (first seating). Otherwise, the later the night gets, the slower the service becomes and the louder the restaurant gets. Still, the staff is friendly and the atmosphere pretty cool.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Melania S
“Good atmosphere and service”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Josefs is located close to Langstrasse (an area with a lot of entertainment in Zurich)

The restaurant warm and welcoming decor, with wood tables and features. There is also an outside area (were we sat).

The service staff in Josef's is very friendly and have a lot of knowledge about what they serve. They can therefore come up with good wine suggestions etc.

We went for what this restaurant probably is know for: the 5 menu course. Some of the dishes was excellent while a few was not that good. It is all a matter of personal taste since everything was well executed and nicely presented. The highlight was the scallops.

The overall experience of the restaurant is good, good food, knowledgable and friendly staff to a reasonable price.

• Visited August 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice ambiance, excellent food, good service”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

2 of my colleagues and I were in Zurich for work, we met a bartender at the Jules Vernes Panoramic Bar in the city. She recommened that we go to Josef for dinner. She mentioned that we will have to make a reservation. We made a reservation for the following night.

The Food:
- There are multiple small plates that you can purchase
- It is somewhat expensive, but the food is amazing
- The menu is completely in German, so please translate beforehand
- Try the risotto if available!
- The menu is seasonal / chef's choice

The Ambiance:
- It is dark and somewhat romantic
- The music is alternative / Indie
- The restaurant is fairly small but the bar is lively

The Service:
- Make reservations beforehand (call to make reservations)
- They will try very hard to translate and accomodate English speakers
- Somewhat slow service, but the food is brought out hot
- Translate the menu beforehand