“All you can eat Charbonnade for CHF 52”
Review of La Cote

La Cote
Ranked #818 of 2,017 Restaurants in Zurich
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2013

All you can eat Charbonnade for CHF 52. Only available for dinner and comes with green olives, pickled pearl onions, hot peppers, 5 different sauces, and some candied fruits.

The bread basket had plain white bread slices that were very fresh and very good. There was also a basket outside the bathroom with bite-size Daim bar candies, which we pilfered a bunch of every time one of us went to the bathroom. So yummy...

We got Pommes Allumette (skinny fries, AKA matchstick potatoes) as a side, and the meat and fries were all-you-can-eat. They also served us an eggplant appetizer marinated in balsamic vinegar. Normally I don't like really sour things, but the appetizer was very tasty.

One of my friends doesn't eat meat, so she ordered the fish, and that was also all-you-can-eat.

Our table of 6 shared two bottles of red wine (Atalayas, Ribera del duero) and sparkling water, and the bill came out to about 85 per person (not including tip).

Dress appropriately, because the heat from the grill will make you HOT. I'm glad I wore a tank top to dinner.

All-in-all, good fun and good eats. The thin beef steaks are quite lean and don't have much taste on their own, so you need to eat them with all the condiments. I'm not a huge fan of the skinny fries, but they are very French, so we all got them as sides, since we were in a French restaurant.

Make sure you make a reservation, because they were fully booked out on a Friday night.

1  Thank I-Lin10

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My partner and I went there for dinner and had the entrecote "Cafe de Paris". We had passed by this restaurant several times and always wanted to go but it is like many restaurants in Zurich where you have to book to get a table and we are usually more on the spontaneous side, so it never worked out until yesterday. It is supposed to be French but to be honest, being French myself, although I found it excellent, I would not have qualify it as such.
We started the dinner with snails (escargots), those were actually probably the best I had in Zurich until now, not too cooked, tasty persil butter sauce. We then had the entrecote "Cafe de Paris". We were absolutely tempted by the Charbonnade but the day was really hot and the restaurant as well so we went for something different. The entrecote "cafe de Paris", although it has a French Name, is actually not French but Swiss French from Geneva. This being said it was absolutely excellent, full of sauce but the meat was really good and soft, which I find hard to find in Zurich and the sauce was really tasty. We opted for pommes allumettes as a side dish and the waiter came back spontaneously once for "refill" which I found a nice touch. So a very good meal. Regarding the wine, we went for a half bottle of Chilian wine. Being wine lovers we would have gone for something else if the wines weren't so overpriced. You can easily get to 80-100 francs for a simple bottle and we could not set our mind to this. The service is very "brasserie" like but very friendly. So all in all a nice experience in this restaurant.

1  Thank Fourchette_Sacados
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you love beef, fire and shoestring fries this is the place for you. They plonk a coal bbq on your table and they bring you meat until you say stop. Great for carnivores.

1  Thank mm00r
Reviewed December 26, 2011

You'll have to book well in advance to get a weekend table at La Cote but it's well worth the wait. Grilling all-you-can-eat meat at your table isn't something you get to do often in Zürich (especially the all-you-can-eat part!). It's definitely worth taking the 'a discretion' (all-you-can-eat) meat option for only Fr. 6- more than the 200g option.The very thin french fries are delicious and also all-you-can-eat. Expect to come out smelling like your meal and needing to go on a diet! The wine list could be more imaginative and it ends up being a pretty expensive night with the meat, french fries and wine but definitely a must-do experience in Zürich.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

The La Cote is a unique french Restaurant in Zürich for similar food you would have to trvael to the french part. The Charbonnade is thinly sliced beef grilled on a charcoal pot on the table. Along with that you get "pommes d'allumette" french fries in matchstick size and different sauces. The price for all you can eat is CHF 55.-- which is very reasonable for Zürich.
Try also the entrecote caffe de paris. Grilled to your taste and served in a platter with excellent herb butter. Along go the pommes d'alumette.
Be aware thath all the grilling smell will ink your clothes and it can be warm in summer. But that is the athmosphere making this place special