“THE Indian restaurant in Zurich”
Review of Vulkan

Vulkan
Ranked #150 of 2,073 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Indian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
Reviewed April 26, 2013

When living in Zurich we tried different indian restaurants, but Vulkan was the only one we visited more than once (surely about 8 times). Vulkan is (or maybe was) also the only one with an original tandoor oven in Zurich. The atmosphere is cozy and the toilets are clean =).
The service was always great, although it might be confusing for some people that some of the waiters prefer to speak englisch instead of german/swiss german.
The dishes were very delicious. As a starter I recommend the marinated lamb (although I am ordinary not into lamb!), but recommending a main dish is very difficult.. the ones we had were all very nice (always with Naan and Raita as side dishes). We were only disappointed once.. the food was totally not as it used to be.. something must have been wrong with the chef or he was not there?!
The prices are definetely adjusted to the prices in Zurich, which you get used to when you live in Switzerland.. lets say what you get here are dishes for an "average swiss price".
If we should ever be back in Zurich, we will definetely go back to Vulkan!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ate here rather randomly after looking around josefstrasse for a bite to eat. I ordered the chicken Korma but at 30 Francs, I just had it with rice (an extra 10 francs or so) , with water, you are talking another 10 francs, which to be honest leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The curry arrived in a tiny metal bowl, and to be honest tasted average at best. I will not come here again.

2  Thank Peter_Zurich_UK
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Vulcan is quite popular in Zurich. Unfortunately, our dinner there did not go as per expectations. Of course restaurant prices are pretty expensive in Zurich, but I'd place Vulcan on the higher side of this (when compared to similar restaurants).
We ordered kebabs and cocktail samosas for appetizers, the portions were tiny but the flavor was alright. The kebabs were too salty for my taste.
Next was the main course, our Paneer dish (cottage cheese) was very disappointing, the paneer was rubber like and it took real effort to even break the pieces. Ideally it should be soft and tender to cut through. We ended up dipping our bread in gravy itself, of course that meant that a planned dinner on a Saturday evening was appropriately destroyed.
Upon informing the waiter, he first tried to explain that this was so due to the cooking technique, I then just requested him to attempt cutting it himself.
A few minutes later they offered us a complimentary gulab jamun dessert and that was the end of the affair. Well, it was disappointing to say the least.

2  Thank iankur
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Food was really good as we really enjoy Indian food anywhere & everywhere. The overall experience in this restaurant has been a good experience for me & my family. Food was tasty, service was prompt & well aniticipated. Indeed - wonderful experience of Indian hospitality in the heart of Zurich, keep it up !

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I visited Vulkan in July this year with my Family, the food was so tasty that I ended up visiting them for continuous three evenings for dinners. The food is very tasty however a bit expensive. The service is good, can be better in delivery time. We were made to feel like home and were welcomed with same energy and comfort all the three times. I highly recommend this restaurant to all the people who are visiting Zurich...this had been one of my best experiences in recent times in Europe.