“Swiss food - good & nice surrounding - always had great evenings there”
Review of Zeughauskeller

Zeughauskeller
Ranked #77 of 2,072 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Went there twice, and always keen to bring my friends visiting Zurich there. The food is good (well typical Swiss food, but well done), the service was always perfect and the athmosphere is really nice. I suggest the flambed beer, impressive and really good !!
I usually have the Schnitzel with roesti - a must. Although they also have their traditionnal saussage meter. The place is a good mix of people, nicely noisy place with a constant animation. Also a good thing is that you can show up at 9.30 pm and if they have a table they'd still serve you, even at a later time - which is not always the case in Zurich.
The decoration of the restaurant is typical, but authentic. I like the place as it's always full and it's not poshy at all - at the opposit of other typical restaurant. On top of this the location is top.
Well, always a good pick.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,129)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Came here with a family of four (two kids under 3) for our one night in Zurich. A very lively place - seemed to be more tourists than locals? - and you're almost certainly going to share a table with others, which personally we found part of the charm, but of course with kids it's a bit more of a challenge (families with particularly rowdy kids might really regret it!)

The staff was very friendly and accomodating, service was quite quick, the food was good and plentiful, and we very much enjoyed the experience. Note that it gets -very- crowded even on the rainy Thursday night that we were there, so definitely make a reservation before going. You can make a reservation online from the restaurant website. Menus are available in a variety of languages, although based on the Japanese menu I saw, translation quality may vary...

Also, this is neither here nor there, but I tried the Falken Brewery 'Dark Beer', expecting something like a stout, and hated it. The Turbinenbräu Goldsprint Lager was quite good, however.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

If you enjoy your meat and potatoes, you might have trouble choosing which entree to go with. So many dishes looked amazing as they were being delivered to the tables around us. Be (mentally) prepared to sit side by side with other fellow diners, as the seating arrangements are family style. A simple smile and "hallo" when you're seated together, and then a "Auf Wiedersehen" when you depart goes a long way when sharing the table. The rustic atmosphere was done the right way with chunky wood beam ceilings, large leaded glass windows, whimsical art accents, and great lighting.
In an attempt to preserve our waistlines, and also not waste food, my sweetie and I often split a main entree instead of ordering 2 full meals. We went with the pork shank, and it is on our list of top hunks of pork we've ever been served. It was a moist, meaty, and and flavorful cut with only a little bit of fat left on it. For a side, I ordered the liver knodel in beef broth. It wasn't the star of the meal, but I just wanted to try something I never had before.
The menu is available online in german with english translation. When we arrived, the first menu given to us was in german only, and our very friendly waiter replaced them with english language menus. I would have liked to have a bilingual menu so we could continue to try and learn some new words.
Since we do that entree sharing maneuver, we had room for chocolate mousse (served in the form of 3 generous scoops with whipped cream) and coffee. It was absolutely good, but not among the top three chocolate mousses I've had. It is described as having been made with rum, but I didn't taste rum flavor.
Along with 2 pints of beer, The meal came to around 75 franc, and the experience was so satisfying, we tipped our server American style, even though it is not customary in Switzerland.
We took the long way back to our hotel weaving in and out of the cobblestone streets and admired the wonderful architecture of the neighborhood. I'd say this was a stellar date night. Tomorrow, we rent bicycles and pedal west through the countryside. Packing a tent, the next part of our adventure should be easier on our wallets. Our American dollars burn up fast in the city of Zurich.

1  Thank FastAli
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This restaurant is in the middle of the city and is a touristic place. The food is routical. Good place to drink beers and have different kinds of meats.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Zeughauskeller Restaurant charms with its "beer hall" type atmosphere, shared tables and bread baskets. The mustardy potato salad added the right zip in combination with the marinated pork shank. The sausage platter and rosti (hash browns) also provided a nice opening dinner for our first night in Zurich. Service was friendly and helpful. This one is a great choice for large groups and families, as well as couples who want atmosphere without fuss.