“Traditional food at good prices in a great setting”
Review of Zeughauskeller

Zeughauskeller
Ranked #22 of 1,970 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here a few times now. Prices are very reasonable by Zurich standards. The service is good, the food is German/Swiss and big portions. Nice traditional setting. Always busy but big enough that you don't have to wait long. A lot of the tables are big so you may end up sharing if its busy.

There are newer reviews for Zeughauskeller

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited Zeughauskeller on the night of Sechseläuten, a festival I'll admit I'd never heard of which turned out to be excellent fun! I had the Mayor's Sword, which comes served on an actual sword, with a couple of litres of the house beer. Overall visiting Zeughauskeller was a very memorable experience I would recommend to anyone visiting Zurich. Except Vegetarians.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We arrived at lunchtime and from the outside it looked like it might be closed. We tried the door and upon finding it open went in....the place was jam packed. We were seated quickly with 2 Swiss gentlemen who didn't bother to say hello and made. No effort to communicate with us which was just what we wanted. We only had an hour as we had an appointment round the corner. The service was quick.....we both had the Hungarian goulash broth which looked like a small portion but was very tasty and surprisingly filling. I had a tea there is a Joyce of black, green, mint etc.....and my sister had mineral water. Cheap by Swiss standards it came to 35.50 CHF. There was a nice atmosphere, the service was quick, and the staff friendly. I would recommend.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Relatively ok - good rest - old style Zurich, quality ok - good, tipical swiss menus, quantity no very satisfiying, serving ok if you are not the last one. Then, no concern about you. They move the chairs on the table.
That's bad and for a such behavior it should not be the place.
Go there at noon or early evening.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is the old arsenal of the city of Zurich. The building was built in the late 15th century...
Although I do not live in Switzerland, I have visited this restaurant every year for more than 65 years... My parents used to take me there each time we visited family. And I continue the tradition. It is generally always packed. At noon, people from nearby businesses (banks mostly) come for lunch. The service is efficient. The food is good and not expensive by Swiss standards. It is the Swiss equivalent of fast food. In the evening, groups of friends on a night out or tourists will share a table with you... The bier is really good. And there is plenty on the plate. You won't starve... There are some really good specialties on the menu, but it is not a gastronomical restaurant... It's a "bierhalle." Now, for a US tourist on a budget, it is going to be expensive... A "St-Galler Schueblig" (a wonderful typical sausage) with potato salad and a bier will cost you at least $30.00. Expensive, yes. But you have to remember the exchange rate between the Swiss Francs and the US$. In the 1960s, one Dollar was worth 4.5 Swiss Francs. Now, one Dollar is worth 90 centimes (0.90 Swiss francs)... You would not be able to survive in Switzerland on an average US salary... On a Swiss salary, 30 Swiss francs for a meal is very reasonable...
I recommend a visit. A visit at the Zeughauskeller makes for a fun evening in a relaxed atmosphere.

1  Thank NAM7904