“big portions”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed November 5, 2012

food is very good, friendly staff, old fashioned style, its a great place to be...will visit this place one day again....

Write a ReviewReviews (4,168)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are many different types of sausages. I wish I had ordered the 300g assortment so I could try different kinds. But I was lured by the seasonal menu and I went with waadtländer Saucisson, the sausage with bacon, which was good. It came with a heaping pile of sauerkraut, and I substituted the potato salad with the rosti (potato cake similar to hashed-browns).

The place seems very traditional inside with wooden tables and chairs, and columns throughout. It has an old feel but with a warm atmosphere. If you are in a small group, be prepared to get cozy with some strangers. The smallest table I saw was for 6 people. They have no problem seating other customers at your table, which I think is fun anyway.

The staff are very helpful. I really appreciated that my waiter confirmed that my rosti substitute cost CHF3.50 more. And the food comes out really fast.

It's not hard to find. If your'e on bahnhoffstraße, just look for züghausplatz, and it's right there, just feet away from bahnhoffstraße.

It is, in my opinion, a bit pricey. I mean, come on, it's just sausage. My dish was CHF27.80. Even for Zurich, it seemed a bit on the more expensive side.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

This beer hall is on a side street just next to Bahnhofstrasse. Very touristy but many locals go there too.

The food is mainly typical and simple Swiss food. There is an English menu and the staff speak English.

On the night I went, I'd a creamy pumpkin soup and a smoked sausage with potato salad. They were both quite tasty.

The price was very reasonable. The staff was friendly and the service was fast. The atmosphere was lively.

I recommend you try this place at least once.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our schedule allowed us to have one lunch in Zurich. We choose Zeughauskeller, because it was at end of our self-guided walking tour and before our boat ride, and has good TA reviews. We got there right after they opened for lunch (11:30), after a little window shopping around the plaza. It’s a weekday, not too many people before 12. It was soon, however, filled with mostly local people, for leisure or business. By the time we left, there was a waiting line at door on both sides. There was an English menu and the waiter speaks English, which was a plus for us. We had a sausage/ potato and a fish/veggie dish. Both looked very simple but with surprisingly good taste (the simple look probably made us think its taste would be plain.). With beer, bottle water and tip, it was <70CHF for two. It was a good lunch to experience our first Switzerland restaurant food.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place is always crowded with people who would like to enjoy Oktoberfest any time of the year without fighting the crowds in Germany. There is always a "wurst of the month", and my favorite appetizer, the Kanonputzer. This last is a sausage that can be purchased by the meter, and is served with a mini sword to cut it into pieces for the admiring crowd (the name means cannon cleaner, and one can imagine it being used for cleaning the cannon bore between shells. The appetizer is a bow to the military artifacts surrounding the place, including rifes, machine guns and crossbows. Come hungry and enjoy being a carnivore.

1  Thank Mike M