“Small charming rooms”

Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed September 7, 2012

After passing through the sidewalk tables I entered the restaurant and headed UP to the first floor. At the top of the stairs, the first room on the right is where you want to be. The room consists of everything wooden. Wooden ceilings, walls, tables and benches with customers names carved into everything. There are some pictures on the wall and an in-wall carved plaque to Gottfried Keller a famous 19th Century writer and as noted by Wikipedia in 1861 Keller was named the 1st official Secretary of the Kanton of Zurich.

I had the entire room to myself as it was after the lunch hour. I was able to just relax and enjoy the comfort of the room and listen to the pedestrian traffic pass by under the window. I enjoyed a very nice white wine from Zurich CHF 13.80 (2dl). My waiter was very friendly and also allowed me to take some pictures of the dining area on the other side of restaurant.

A unique place for drinks, though on this trip I did not have any food from the menu. I would certainly return again. A great meeting place!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have been a few times, sometimes it has more tourists than others. It is in a quaint old Zürich building with lovely wood panelling.

The food and wine are very Zürich, I think and the service and atmosphere is generally lovely. I would recommend it, especially to expats who want to take their visitors somewhere special.

2  Thank Imhunting
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Just the place when the temperature drops as night falls in October. Up narrow stairs to an old panelled room, with plants, to a friendly welcome, the best SwissGerman food and Zurich wine. A haven from which you leave wonderfully equipped to brave the elements. Gottfried Keller, the 19th century Swiss writer, was a regular here. There is also a tribute on the walls from the only General to keep his country free without losing a man to enemy action. Very popular with students, businessmen, and friendly tourists. Reservation is essential - don't phone, call in during the day and book in person. We came twice during our stay.

2  Thank johannes21
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This joint is reallllly old. There was just something about it. I couldnt put my finger on it- very fancy as well. Either way the food was delicious! Absolutely worth every penny. I had the Sliced veal "Zurich style" with creamy mushroom sauce served with vegetables and hashed browns! And for desert, Apple beignets with luke-warm vanilla sauce! Yum, yum, yum!

I went with my fiance and a good friend. All three of us had a main each, a desert each and a bottle of red wine (EXPENSIVE red wine), and the bill totalled up to CHF 192 ish.

1  Thank Tequila911
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 18, 2008

nice place, good restaurant with very attentive service, small little rooms

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook