“Great food, even for Carnivores :)”
Review of Haus Hiltl

Haus Hiltl
Ranked #43 of 2,085 Restaurants in Zurich
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: According to "Guinness World Records" Hiltl is the first vegetarian restaurant in the world. The company was founded in 1898 by Ambrosius Hiltl and is now run by the fourth generation of the Hiltl family. It offers around 500 dishes and includes, in addition to the a la carte restaurant and Hiltl buffet, self-service and takeaway, a bar-lounge, a club, a cooking studio and a shop...
Reviewed October 12, 2013

What can I say, I would never pick this place voluntarily because I am a true carnivore. To me, a meal is not a meal without meat!
However, that evening my friend insisted to go to Hilt. All I can say is, WOW. I left this place with a smile on my face as if I had eaten a delicious steak.
They have a huge selection of food and dessert. The mango lassie is to die for and even though the prices are pretty up there, it is well worth it.
Try to avoid afternoons as this place looks like a stroller parking lot and seems almost like a day care. Ups, can you tell I am not too baby friendly when it comes to eating my meal. LOL

1  Thank tenz75
Hiltl_GuestRelations, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Haus Hiltl, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for the witty review, I had to smile continuously while reading it. :) Hiltl is very popular for all ages and we are happy about it but our goal is of course not to be a day care. We stay tuned, thanks for the hint :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,188)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Fantastic vegetarian buffet and plenty of choices that will satisfy even the non-vegetarians who would be sceptical of a place like this! The place was packed on a Thursday night and is not the place for a quiet romantic dinner ....
As other reviewers have said there is a a la carte option upstairs but if you are hungry I strongly recommend that you go for the all you can eat buffet option which is excellent value for Zurich!
Have fun - as I was walking in a guy coming out was raving about it saying how much he enjoyed the food and that all he ever ate normally was steaks and other meat!!
There you go ...

Thank you for the very positive review and for sharing the story about the guy coming out of the restaurant, so funny to read :)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The first vegetarian restaurant in Europe apparently! The buffet style food is all vegetarian and seems mainly influenced by Indian cuisine, although other cuisines are also represented (to a lesser extent). The buffet system, if you opt for it that is, is not something all will be familiar with as you have to weigh your plate! Once you get over understanding the buffet procedure, the food and atmosphere is a joy!

Hiltl_GuestRelations, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Haus Hiltl, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for the great review!

If there are questions concerning the buffet procedure, just ask the Hiltl-Staff and they are happy to help. :)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I like the food, vegetables seem to have taste like they should, but for some reason my stomach goes bad after visiting it. Maybe it is related to fat they use.

I especially like their fruit salats!

Hi sirine313

Thank you for the review.

We are sorry for your stomach problems after visiting us. All our dishes are freshly cooked in house each day and we have a cooperation with an internal laboratory which controls us at least once a month.

Some of our dishes are hard to digest because of their content of dietary fiber and if you're not used to eat for example chickpeas you may have kind of stomach irritation after some hours. This is totally normal but if you start to eat these dishes/groceries regularly (as they are very healthy) your body gets used to it and you will feel good after eating it.

If you have any questions concerning this topic you can always contact us for more information.

We hope to welcome you soon again and wish you a good rest of the week,

Haus Hiltl
Nadine Koller & Team

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I went here with my boss a couple of weeks ago. This was my first business visit to Zurich, and I was not expecting the city to offer much for vegetarian. Don't ask me why - just a silly preconception. Well, I couldn't have been more impressed. The food was amazing. We sat upstairs and ate a la carte, but the buffet looked good too.

Happy that we could impress you this way! Hopefully we can welcome you soon again at Haus Hiltl. :)