“Don't forget to confirm your booking in writing!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Spirgarten

BEST WESTERN Hotel Spirgarten
Ranked #99 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
“Don't forget to confirm your booking in writing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I should have been staying here as I was delivering a training programme the following day. But when I arrived late at night and tired after travelling I was told that they had given my room away because I had not confirmed it by faxing back the confirmation e-mail that they had sent me, with my signature on it! They were full now so I had to walk for 20 minutes to the Ramada. I had to walk because the taxi ride of 22 kilometers from the airport cost me CHF 94 (€82) and so I had no cash left for another taxi.
I travel a lot and I have never been asked to fax back my signature to confirm a room! And I've travelled to,some so called third world countries.

Sorry I can't recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Pguilfoyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed for one night while on business. The room was booked by our customer company so I can't comment on the value. The hotel is 5 mins walk from Alstetten train station (less than 10 mins to the central station) and there's a bus and a tram stop outside.
The reception was friendly and efficient and they have an unusual but effective system with external and room keys. The room and bathroom was small, clean and faced the back so although I could just hear the notorious bells, they didn't disturb me during the night.
Breakfast was served in the adjacent restaurant and offered a typical 'continental' selection of quite good quality.
UK readers sit down for this bit - the internet access was free!
I asked if there was a computer/printer so I could print out my boarding pass for the flight home and I was given a curt "No". I found this a bit surprising and disappointing for a hotel that seems to specialize in conferences/seminars.
I'd be happy to stay again if I had to, but would probably look elsewhere if it was my choice.

Room Tip: Facing the back may be quieter and avoid the bells
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've been here 4 times courtesy of my husband's company. The location is good considering it is 5-minute walk from the train station. You can reach the center within 6 minutes train ride. We have the double room. The size is an average European size. My husband mentioned that the single room is pretty small as he once stayed. It is clean, without A/C but with fan during summer. The bathroom is ok with thin plastic shower curtain. This makes it looks cheap. There's hairdryer and built-in shampoo/shower gel for those who didn't bring one. It is pretty clean. The bed is fine (2 single bed combined). To our 4th stay recently, we had a fruit plate (for the 1st time). During our first stay, I only slept for 2 hours because of the church bell. It was winter and even with closed window, you will hear it every fifteen minutes. It was unbearable for me. From the 2nd to our recent stay this month, I got used to the church bell or maybe I was also tired. As for the breakfast, it's light continental with juices, boiled eggs, cheese and little salami which you can take from the small buffet area. The coffee or tea (according to your preference) is then brought to you by staff. The staff is fine. Neither friendly nor rude. They will greet you once you come. I guess because most guest who are staying are actually for business purpose so the warmth that you feel is not the same as to the hotels you are staying during pleasure. Our stay is paid by the company so I wouldn't complain. I saw that the price ranges from 210(single)-285(double)CHF. If you will come there and pay for it either for business or pleasure, I believe that you can check a better offer with either the same standard or better one. This hotel isn't bad. It is clean and with all what you need. It is an average place to stay. I don't know how much the company paid for it but as a tourist I will consider other options. We are living in Switzerland and have stayed in few hotels for pleasure and the price are reasonable and better standard.

Room Tip: You can try to ask for a room that is at the other side of the church.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Martina L
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is the hotel our company(Swiss company, Canadian office) uses for us to stay in while travel to head office. I have been there twice, and will be there the 3rd time next week. It is small, but all hotels and elevators are way too small for who get used to North American style. I have travelled in different countries in Europe, especially in Switzerland, the room and elevator here in this hotel is just normal size. there is worse case, I felt in a prison cell, when I stayed at Bern one night. comparably, here is quite nice size to be honest.

The staff are very friendly. room is clean. small but you have all you need. The restaurant downstairs serves the best lamb ( other dishes are also good). breakfast includes cheese, meat, eggs, fruit,bread,juice.. fresh and delicious. the location is perfect, walking distance to train station, tram is just out side of the hotel. easy to get to the city and around.

and yes, here is the infamous church bell right beside the hotel and it sings every 15 mins. I believe it is sort of tradition and can get used to by locals. And it never be a problem for me since the jet lag and tiring of the day ( maybe the wine at dinner with great food at downstairs earlier) helped me falling in sleep quick and sound. if you are a light sleeper, the bell might be a problem. other than that, I would say it is a decent hotel, not bad at all.

ah, did I mention there is a cute little square outside the hotel where host a tiny market at weekend mornings? Its nice when you sitting in 8848 ( the name of restaurant downstairs) having a morning coffee while watching locals buying and selling flowers and gourmet food out there in the early morning sun and braze. And this time the smokers will be out from 8848 and it will be more enjoyable while having breakfast and people watching there at lazy Sunday morning.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank arual09
Milton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

I was considering one star for this hotel, but decided that it probably deserved two. One star would imply that it's just absolutely terrible, or dirty, or unsafe, or possesses some other critical flaw. This is not the case with Sprigarten. It's just really not very good at all.

The hotel is located at the back of a mini mall / public square and well outside of downtown Zurich. There is a tram station nearby, and a train station within about a 5 minute walk.

The lobby area is decent, and the front desk staff were all very pleasant.

Going up to the room, I felt like I was in the service stairwell. The elevator was completely gutted, and the stairwell itself was in terrible shape. I can only assume that they're renovating to fix this problem, but it added to my displeasure of the hotel.

Once I made it up four flights of stairs, I cracked my skull on a low door-frame leading into the hallway where the rooms are located. It throbbed for two days.

Once in the room, I found a small bed/futon on the floor, a small shelf that doubled as the desk, and a door that stepped up to a tiny bathroom with plastic fixtures.

Directly outside my window was a church bell that, I kid you not, rang every fifteen minutes all through the day and night (or at least until I finally fell asleep late at night through the crescendos).

Internet is available for a fee via a hotspot provider, and is of decent quality.

Breakfast is provided downstairs, and it was a light continental breakfast with fruit, yogourt, and pastries. The restaurant was full of smoke during breakfast.

I would not stay here again, nor could I in good conscience recommend this hotel to anyone. If you can get a great deal on a room here, then perhaps that would be a reason to stay. It is decent, and if cheap then fine. But I'm pretty sure it won't fit into the budget hotel category by pricepoint.

• Liked — Front desk staff
  • Disliked — The bells are quaint for about the first hour, then the crazy sets in.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pnear

Travelers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Bucyrus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

We arrived on a Sunday morning. We were a little early so we had towait to be let into our room. The reception person was good about it and came to get us in the restaurant.

Then, we found out the elevator was being worked on, so they had to lug our luggage up 3 flights of stairs. When they opened the door to our "double room", my wife and I were shocked to find that the room was about 10 feet wide by 12 feet long. This was definitely not a double room by US standards, and for the price I expected a lot better.

During our 11 day stay, the noise level at times was nerve-wracking. For example...

1. The church bells rang at 15 minute intervals, which was OK and quaint and we got used to them. What was harder to get used to was the symphony of bells that played at 7 am and 11 am each day for about 5 minutes. No sleeping in!

2. The elevator shaft was worked on from 7 am to 4 pm each week-day. That meant hammers and drills and pounding and again - no sleeping in!

3. We spent 2 week-ends there, and each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, there was a loud event downstairs in one of the banquet halls. One night, it was a religious group singing and chanting until 2 in the morning. Another night, it was a party that featured karaoke and loud microphones until 2 am. Another night, it was a party of some sort that went on until 4 am. When we complained about the 4 am party, the boy at the desk said "They pay us 1000 extra francs to reserve the room until 4. Good business for us."

4. No air-conditioning, so we left our windows open each night.

• Liked — Timely maid service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Constant noise, some of it at inappropriate hours
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank reno14