“Good choice for zurich”

Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity Zurich
Ranked #44 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel is located in a shopping mall with restaurants and shops. It is both a quite area and close to city center only a few stops by tram. The hotel has a loby and bar which is really nice and seems to be a popular place for locals too. It has a very good breakfast which was excluded in our room price, 30 chf per person. The rooms are nicely decorated and clean. The Staff is helpful.
The only disadvantage is that the wifi is not free as advertised, it is free for only one device and you have to pay extra 10chf for each extra device and the worse is the connection is too poor, we could not connect to wifi at our rooms only at the loby and bar.
Overall it is a nice hotel for city visits both for business and leisure.

• Stayed: December 2012
Thomas K, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Mrs. Burak.

Thank you very much for staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity, Zürich.

We are glad to read that you felt comfortable with us and we thank you very much for the good rating.

Furthermore, we would like to inform you that we also have the possibility to work with WiFi Adapters to get a better connection in your room. These are available at the reception for our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact the reception at any time if you need further assistance or information during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon. For any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. (thomas.kleint@fourpoints.com).

Thomas Kleint
Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Let's say from the outset that the accomodation itself is good as well as the location. This January was my second time at the Four Points; I chose it essentially for I am a Lifetime SPG Gold, hoping or at least longing for a special treatment. I was travelling with my family (my wife and two kids), hence I booked a junior suite allegedly spacious enough to accomodate all of us. During the check-in process I humbly asked for an upgrade, but the stiff and unwelcoming rigid response was, as if I were not aware of it, that upgrade depended upon availability and that in the case in point this was not possible (whatever be the reasons). It must aloso be stressed that we arrived at the hotel at 21.45 and that we meant to stay one night only and left actually before noon the day after. In other words, an upgrade - at that moment of the day - would have not ruined the hotel. Furthermore, when I asked whether it would be possible to modify our original reservation for a junior suite into two connecting rooms, my request triggered a frightened reaction from the cerberous monsieur who outrightly wiped out the possiility of getting this upgrade even though it seemed to us that the hotel was far from fully booked. Well, it happened to us to experience in many other Starwood hotels - including St Regis - much more flexibility and commercial kindness than that shown in this hotel. It's sad! This won't change bring prejudice to my high esteem of Starwood hotels, let alone of my loyalty to it, yet this recent stay left us an unplesant sour feeling. A pity!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ulisse979

Dear Ulisse979

We would like to thank you for staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity, Zürich. We appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback. It is unfortunate however, that we did not meet your expectations during your stay; therefore, on behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize sincerely for this. We always intend to offer the best service especially for our loyal SPG Gold members like you. We regret to hear that you were disappointed with our service, but we would like to make it up to you during your next stay by showing you that we are truly guest-service oriented. Once again, we are very thankful for the feedback you have given us, as we do take our guest critique very seriously.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again to show you our high standard and guest service.

For any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly (thomas.kleint@fourpoints.com).

Thomas Kleint
Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband travels to Zürich on business at least once per month, although generally he stays at the Sheraton in City Centre because it is a more convenient location for his office and they have a better breakfast that is included at no additional charge. However, he stays at the Four Points often enough that most of the staff know him by name if not by sight. I joined him on this trip for a bit of a holiday and to visit friends. We stayed at the Four Points for one night after returning to Zürich from a weekend elsewhere and before a morning flight back to the US.

Because my husband has SPG Platinum status, we were upgraded to a suite. The room was lovely and the bathroom was especially nice. Although we were surprised that the room's safe was not large enough to hold his laptop. Which was surprising for two reasons: 1) As a business hotel, you would think they would ensure that the safes were large enough for something as essential as a laptop; and 2) he has stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions in the past and this is the only time he has had this difficulty. (If the hotel manager is reading this, Room 219 needs a larger in-room safe!)

I was quite pleased with the quality of the dinner at the hotel restaurant. The last time I ate a meal here was shortly after the hotel opened when we were still living in Zürich and I was not favorably impressed. However, in the intervening years the quality of the food had improved dramatically. Both my husband and I were very happy with our meals and spread the word to our friends in the Zürich area that it is worth a visit if they are near SihlCity at dinner time.

We did receive some mixed service while at the hotel. Because we had stayed the previous Monday - Friday at the Sheraton and then planned a weekend elsewhere, I dropped a suitcase off on Friday afternoon before heading to the airport. The woman at the reception desk that afternoon could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. However, when we checked in Monday evening for our one night before flying out in the morning, the woman was abrupt to the point of rudeness. My husband did not recognize her, which means she was likely a relatively new employee. If so, she requires a lot more training on what is appropriate customer service! The remainder of the hotel staff and the restaurant staff were all quite friendly and provided excellent service. However, one bad encounter can be difficult to overcome completely.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gretchen H
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last one year - 5 days on each ocassion. It is located at conveniently around some of the banking establishments. Very close to the Zurich Main Station (SBB), the High Street (Bahnofstrasse) and the lake. All of this is accessible through the tram which stops right across the Hotel.

The locale is also very good considering that there is a Mall next door (almost) with supermarket, electronics, cosmetics, clothing / accessories and a few options for food too. The Hotel has its own Restaurant - Rampe Sud and a nice bar - Urbano. Though the breakfast is far too expensive for the kind of spread and service. Room service menu is too limited and any customization to your palette is possible only if the person attending to your request has the 'Will' to serve you better. I had a bit of a mixed experience. The food is very good in its taste and quality.

I stayed in a standard room, no complaints on the interiors of the room. Its spacious with enough storage, clean linen, excellent washroom. Some times (during morning hours) the hot water fluctuates. Appropriate lighting in all areas of the room. The view from the rooms on either side of the hotel is not at all interesting. On one side is the flyover with a river flowing underneath and the other side is a building, which blocks the skyline completely.

Lobby is small but serves the purpose, its never crowded. Front Desk staff is very cheerful and helpful. Wi-fi is good in the lobby, however almost non functional in the rooms. The hotel does give a free voucher for 24 hours upon check-in. Beyond that the usage is on charge.

Strangely, the Hotel charges a refundable deposit everytime you borrow an umbrella. Considering the standard of guests in the hotel, this should be done away with.

Overall, a decent stay, will stay again because of location convenience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a lovely modern hotel, slightly outside the city centre but very quick by tram which stops almost outside the door. It's right next to Sihlcity indoor shopping mall as well as a good Italian restaurant, Asian, Swiss etc. It gave the impression of a fairly small hotel with just the lobby, bar and restaurant on the ground floor, although there seemed to be a lot of guest rooms. I can't comment on the spa as we were only there for two nights and didn't have time to visit.

Our "standard" twin room was lovely, very spacious with a seating area and interesting view over the entrance to the shopping mall which was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The bathroom set-up was great, screened from the bedroom area with separate toilet and shower room which was very convenient. Toiletries and plenty of tea and coffee were provided. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The flat screen TV was a good size and there was plenty of storage space. It was also very quiet.

The restaurant was extremely attractive. The service and variety and quality of the buffet breakfast which was included in our rate, was excellent. Additional items of your choice could be specially prepared on request. The check-in and out process was hassle-free. Security was excellent with door card required to access the lift and stairs. The staff were very professional but also friendly and down to earth. The vouchers for a free hot drink per day were a nice extra which could be enjoyed in the bar or restaurant any time. I would definitely stay again in the Four Points Sheraton.«

Room Tip: Our room was at the front on the first floor facing the shopping centre entrance. It was very quiet...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just got back from 3 days stay.
Let me tell you!!!!!!! It was a disaster to say the lest. My husband is an employee of a very large company and he got corporate rate which would have been great if not for the fact that corporate price is not per room, it's per person so we had to pay extra for me....we also had to pay extra for parking which is out of this world expensive, also for breakfast which is outrageously priced for the selection of foods. I've had much better breakfast at small B&Bs all throughout Europe. But that is not the extend of it. Upon making reservation we made sure that there is free wifi and which was confirmed by an email. Upon registration we were told that yes...wifi was free when we booked, but now their policy has changed and the only free wifi is 200 mb per day, for the rest you have to pay yet additional cost. I figured I try and see how long will this free 200mb will last me. Guess what? It was enough to complain to Starwood, that is all. I just started phone conference when my 200 mb expired. Needless to say that Starwood did not do anything about it and all I got was apologies from Starwood as well as from the guest relation manager. I had no choice but to buy the unlimited version as we both had to conduct business meetings online. All thought I was offered to use hotel computer in the lobby which also had free internet. I could just see myself conducting business meetings from the hotel lobby. Don't think it would fly too well with company management. I emailed hotel manager telling her that if she can not wave internet charges she should do something else instead...offer free breakfast or parking to compensate for the wrongful charges. I was told that breakfast or any sort of hotel discount have nothing to do with internet and that she will be gracious enough to wave 1 day of internet but no more and that I better take it as there will not be another offer. I got really angry and answered that if they will dare to charge my credit card for the internet I will complain to my credit card company, provide evidence of wrongful conduct and overcharging. And finally I was told that I actually misunderstood her, she is waiving all days internet charges. Silly me...when I am told that charges for only 1 day will be waved and the rest of the days I have to pay for..... I don't understand that Judith (the manager) means all days will be waved but next stay I should not bother to pull the same stunt. And I thought we were both speaking the same language.

So I got to enjoy free internet for the entire stay after all, And was warned not to try the same on our next stay. Well, guess what? There will not be another stay there.

I was not so lucky with the second problem. Hotel is centrally heated and there is no individual controls on radiators. Let me tell you. It was about +4C and radiators were blasting in the room and in the hallways. I asked how can we turn it off, because opening the window did not the trick and air condition lowest temp was 20C. i prefer allot cooler air in the room and felt there was no need for heating. 5 people came in to my room in hopes to turn off the radiators with no luck. Not opening windows, not turning air condition to low of 15C worked. So at one point I had blasting radiators and air-condition set to 15C at the same time which in fact did not make any difference as it was still pretty hot in the room. Finally I gave up and opened the window and as the temperature dropped to 0 it became a little more comfortable. All thought I notified management of how much money and energy is being wasted by running heating and air-conditioning at the same time. They promised to look in to the problem.

So my last night at the hotel I slept good knowing that I can finally breath and that my internet is free of charge.
For the money they charge, for the hotel rating, for the right to be a part of Starwood this hotel is really not worth it. I am never coming back and don't recommend it.

Pros:
Hotel is in a very good location, just few tram stops from the Old town and 10 minuted walk to the Google office.
Super comfortable memory foam beds.
Very large shower cabins.

Cons:
No service...behind smiles of the reception staff are just empty promises and false apologies.
Even though some rooms are pretty quiet and overlook the river there is a construction site near by and noise all day long is a bit bothersome.
The wash basin is located in the corridor between bathroom and shower and is not enclosed. When people are sitting in the room it's little uncomfortable to wash up, brush your teeth as they can always see what you are doing. Not to mention ability to change in the bathroom. Not the best layout as far as I am concerned. At least some sort of enclosure would do the trick as I prefer it to be allot more private.
I am not sure if this is a smoking hotel...our room was non smoking...but next door I guess was a smoking room? As people always smoked in to the window....I think we inhaled more smoke than they. But I figured it would be useless to complain about that as well.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the shopping mall entrance with people walking back and forth all day and evenin...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Regina Z
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel has good value for money, at least when they have promotions.
Rooms are spacious and clean.
Also there is asian spa present in the building but I haven't tried it. Visits are not free of charge even for hotel guests

The tram station is 30 meters away from the hotel which will take you to the city center in 10 minutes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple