“Acceptable Hotel with Mixed Service”

Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity Zurich
Ranked #40 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband travels to Zürich on business at least once per month, although generally he stays at the Sheraton in City Centre because it is a more convenient location for his office and they have a better breakfast that is included at no additional charge. However, he stays at the Four Points often enough that most of the staff know him by name if not by sight. I joined him on this trip for a bit of a holiday and to visit friends. We stayed at the Four Points for one night after returning to Zürich from a weekend elsewhere and before a morning flight back to the US.

Because my husband has SPG Platinum status, we were upgraded to a suite. The room was lovely and the bathroom was especially nice. Although we were surprised that the room's safe was not large enough to hold his laptop. Which was surprising for two reasons: 1) As a business hotel, you would think they would ensure that the safes were large enough for something as essential as a laptop; and 2) he has stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions in the past and this is the only time he has had this difficulty. (If the hotel manager is reading this, Room 219 needs a larger in-room safe!)

I was quite pleased with the quality of the dinner at the hotel restaurant. The last time I ate a meal here was shortly after the hotel opened when we were still living in Zürich and I was not favorably impressed. However, in the intervening years the quality of the food had improved dramatically. Both my husband and I were very happy with our meals and spread the word to our friends in the Zürich area that it is worth a visit if they are near SihlCity at dinner time.

We did receive some mixed service while at the hotel. Because we had stayed the previous Monday - Friday at the Sheraton and then planned a weekend elsewhere, I dropped a suitcase off on Friday afternoon before heading to the airport. The woman at the reception desk that afternoon could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. However, when we checked in Monday evening for our one night before flying out in the morning, the woman was abrupt to the point of rudeness. My husband did not recognize her, which means she was likely a relatively new employee. If so, she requires a lot more training on what is appropriate customer service! The remainder of the hotel staff and the restaurant staff were all quite friendly and provided excellent service. However, one bad encounter can be difficult to overcome completely.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gretchen H

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last one year - 5 days on each ocassion. It is located at conveniently around some of the banking establishments. Very close to the Zurich Main Station (SBB), the High Street (Bahnofstrasse) and the lake. All of this is accessible through the tram which stops right across the Hotel.

The locale is also very good considering that there is a Mall next door (almost) with supermarket, electronics, cosmetics, clothing / accessories and a few options for food too. The Hotel has its own Restaurant - Rampe Sud and a nice bar - Urbano. Though the breakfast is far too expensive for the kind of spread and service. Room service menu is too limited and any customization to your palette is possible only if the person attending to your request has the 'Will' to serve you better. I had a bit of a mixed experience. The food is very good in its taste and quality.

I stayed in a standard room, no complaints on the interiors of the room. Its spacious with enough storage, clean linen, excellent washroom. Some times (during morning hours) the hot water fluctuates. Appropriate lighting in all areas of the room. The view from the rooms on either side of the hotel is not at all interesting. On one side is the flyover with a river flowing underneath and the other side is a building, which blocks the skyline completely.

Lobby is small but serves the purpose, its never crowded. Front Desk staff is very cheerful and helpful. Wi-fi is good in the lobby, however almost non functional in the rooms. The hotel does give a free voucher for 24 hours upon check-in. Beyond that the usage is on charge.

Strangely, the Hotel charges a refundable deposit everytime you borrow an umbrella. Considering the standard of guests in the hotel, this should be done away with.

Overall, a decent stay, will stay again because of location convenience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a lovely modern hotel, slightly outside the city centre but very quick by tram which stops almost outside the door. It's right next to Sihlcity indoor shopping mall as well as a good Italian restaurant, Asian, Swiss etc. It gave the impression of a fairly small hotel with just the lobby, bar and restaurant on the ground floor, although there seemed to be a lot of guest rooms. I can't comment on the spa as we were only there for two nights and didn't have time to visit.

Our "standard" twin room was lovely, very spacious with a seating area and interesting view over the entrance to the shopping mall which was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The bathroom set-up was great, screened from the bedroom area with separate toilet and shower room which was very convenient. Toiletries and plenty of tea and coffee were provided. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The flat screen TV was a good size and there was plenty of storage space. It was also very quiet.

The restaurant was extremely attractive. The service and variety and quality of the buffet breakfast which was included in our rate, was excellent. Additional items of your choice could be specially prepared on request. The check-in and out process was hassle-free. Security was excellent with door card required to access the lift and stairs. The staff were very professional but also friendly and down to earth. The vouchers for a free hot drink per day were a nice extra which could be enjoyed in the bar or restaurant any time. I would definitely stay again in the Four Points Sheraton.«

Room Tip: Our room was at the front on the first floor facing the shopping centre entrance. It was very quiet...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just got back from 3 days stay.
Let me tell you!!!!!!! It was a disaster to say the lest. My husband is an employee of a very large company and he got corporate rate which would have been great if not for the fact that corporate price is not per room, it's per person so we had to pay extra for me....we also had to pay extra for parking which is out of this world expensive, also for breakfast which is outrageously priced for the selection of foods. I've had much better breakfast at small B&Bs all throughout Europe. But that is not the extend of it. Upon making reservation we made sure that there is free wifi and which was confirmed by an email. Upon registration we were told that yes...wifi was free when we booked, but now their policy has changed and the only free wifi is 200 mb per day, for the rest you have to pay yet additional cost. I figured I try and see how long will this free 200mb will last me. Guess what? It was enough to complain to Starwood, that is all. I just started phone conference when my 200 mb expired. Needless to say that Starwood did not do anything about it and all I got was apologies from Starwood as well as from the guest relation manager. I had no choice but to buy the unlimited version as we both had to conduct business meetings online. All thought I was offered to use hotel computer in the lobby which also had free internet. I could just see myself conducting business meetings from the hotel lobby. Don't think it would fly too well with company management. I emailed hotel manager telling her that if she can not wave internet charges she should do something else instead...offer free breakfast or parking to compensate for the wrongful charges. I was told that breakfast or any sort of hotel discount have nothing to do with internet and that she will be gracious enough to wave 1 day of internet but no more and that I better take it as there will not be another offer. I got really angry and answered that if they will dare to charge my credit card for the internet I will complain to my credit card company, provide evidence of wrongful conduct and overcharging. And finally I was told that I actually misunderstood her, she is waiving all days internet charges. Silly me...when I am told that charges for only 1 day will be waved and the rest of the days I have to pay for..... I don't understand that Judith (the manager) means all days will be waved but next stay I should not bother to pull the same stunt. And I thought we were both speaking the same language.

So I got to enjoy free internet for the entire stay after all, And was warned not to try the same on our next stay. Well, guess what? There will not be another stay there.

I was not so lucky with the second problem. Hotel is centrally heated and there is no individual controls on radiators. Let me tell you. It was about +4C and radiators were blasting in the room and in the hallways. I asked how can we turn it off, because opening the window did not the trick and air condition lowest temp was 20C. i prefer allot cooler air in the room and felt there was no need for heating. 5 people came in to my room in hopes to turn off the radiators with no luck. Not opening windows, not turning air condition to low of 15C worked. So at one point I had blasting radiators and air-condition set to 15C at the same time which in fact did not make any difference as it was still pretty hot in the room. Finally I gave up and opened the window and as the temperature dropped to 0 it became a little more comfortable. All thought I notified management of how much money and energy is being wasted by running heating and air-conditioning at the same time. They promised to look in to the problem.

So my last night at the hotel I slept good knowing that I can finally breath and that my internet is free of charge.
For the money they charge, for the hotel rating, for the right to be a part of Starwood this hotel is really not worth it. I am never coming back and don't recommend it.

Pros:
Hotel is in a very good location, just few tram stops from the Old town and 10 minuted walk to the Google office.
Super comfortable memory foam beds.
Very large shower cabins.

Cons:
No service...behind smiles of the reception staff are just empty promises and false apologies.
Even though some rooms are pretty quiet and overlook the river there is a construction site near by and noise all day long is a bit bothersome.
The wash basin is located in the corridor between bathroom and shower and is not enclosed. When people are sitting in the room it's little uncomfortable to wash up, brush your teeth as they can always see what you are doing. Not to mention ability to change in the bathroom. Not the best layout as far as I am concerned. At least some sort of enclosure would do the trick as I prefer it to be allot more private.
I am not sure if this is a smoking hotel...our room was non smoking...but next door I guess was a smoking room? As people always smoked in to the window....I think we inhaled more smoke than they. But I figured it would be useless to complain about that as well.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the shopping mall entrance with people walking back and forth all day and evenin...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Regina Z
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel has good value for money, at least when they have promotions.
Rooms are spacious and clean.
Also there is asian spa present in the building but I haven't tried it. Visits are not free of charge even for hotel guests

The tram station is 30 meters away from the hotel which will take you to the city center in 10 minutes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander A
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Shower pressure not great and temperature fluctuates to an uncomfortable extent.

It seems the reserved parking signs are universally ignored by other people / guests and the hotel has no interest in policing / fixing this. Would expect better for 40chf per night parking fee.

No baths available in "superior" rooms or at least not allocated one despite staying 3 nights with a 20 month old.

We found a sign on the cot saying my 20 month old was too tall to use it safely. You can decide how that went down at 11pm after a 4 hour car journey with an overtired child. An appropriate point at which to inform guests you only have freakishly small cots and no alternative? We could easily have put our own travel cot in the car with some advance communication.

Compulsory "air conditioning" left the air quality in the room unbearable and I don't even have asthma or allergies. Lips crispy, head stuffy and eyes sore after even a couple of hours in the room (and even drinking a litre of water in that time to compensate). Even in "off" mode as it still seems to run / make noise / blow air. No way to stop it!! Even pulling the card out of the master power slot. Always causes me concern when an air con system can make you feel that sick that quickly.

Hallway / entrance is the bathroom in a less than successful imo open plan experiment.

Bed reasonably comfortable.

Room acceptably clean.

Staff personable.

Location ok if a little noisy from people in the street.

You can do better even for the cost of the cheap weekend deal we got. I can imagine I'd have been seriously disappointed if we'd paid rack rate.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank GeeeCeee123
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked this Hotel through booking.com as an in between budget choice (not too expensive & not too cheap) and due to its location. Having lived in Zurich previously we knew the area and chose this Hotel due to its close proximity to the Sihlcity shopping center, the theatre (just out the front door) and a direct connection to the center.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and smiley receptionist. She asked about our journey, if we found the Hotel without problems etc. and overall was very welcoming.
The check in was effortless and we liked the added security (you need your card to control the elevator to the rooms).
Our room was spacious, modern and comfortable. It offers a free bottle of water, free internet and to our surprise, the staff had provided a fruit basket, a bottle of bubbly and some nuts with a card congratulating us on our anniversary (we were visiting to celebrate our 8th anniversary)!! It was such a lovely gesture and really made our stay special. For the staff to demonstrating such thoughtfulness really went a long way.
My favorite bit of the room was the all tiled, massive walk in shower!

the only mildly negative thing i would say about the hotel is the cost of breakfast - at CHF30 per Person it is just too expensive as we would never eat enough to justify spending 60 between us. Instead we ventured out into town and had breakfast at some of the sweet cafes hidden away in the alleys if the old part of town.

While in zurich we went to the theatre across from the hotel to watch James Bond, we went up the Uetliberg and enjoyed a meal at our favourite Vietnamese tucked away from the touristy part and located near - Schmiede Wiedikon- (bus 31/33? takes u there from the hotel)

all in all it was a great stay and we would return to the hotel in future

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SandraDellaRocca, Geschäftsführer at Four Points by Sheraton Sihlcity Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear TravelteamUK

I would like to take the orpportunity to thank you very much for your positive review on TripAdvisor.
It is guests like you that make our days of hard work all worth it. I have shared your kind feedback with our staff, especially our front office team.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in Zurich and will be more than happy to have you back again soon.
Warm regards,