“Cozy, Clean, Great Breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Basilea

Hotel Basilea
Ranked #111 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Saint John, Canada
“Cozy, Clean, Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Basilea for one night as a break in between flying from Canada to India in November. This hotel was recommended to us by our travel agent as a reasonably priced hotel in the heart of the old city. The location can not be beat, minutes from rail city, and seconds from shopping, historic attractions, and restaurants. We booked the bottom class of room, and it was tiny but workable for one night. The walls were thin but for the price it couldn't be beat. Awesome breakfast the next morning, and decent service. Was slightly put out they could not accommodate an early check in but the staff were helpful in recommending places to eat and things to see while we waited.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quiet, spend some extra dough and get more space
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

So. Firstly. Swiss hotels are expensive, generally, compared to the rest of the world, and at CHF245 a night I was expecting something half decent. It was not.
Upon checking in, I was greeted by a young woman who was very disinterested. I had a couple of bags with me and asked for an iron and ironing board to be sent to my room. The response I got was that I could take it up with me. I was wondering which one or the 3rd and 4th hands they would fit in? great customer focused service!
In fairness, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. There was no air-conditioning in the room and the shower was very small.

The breakfast room was very “functional” in its offering with a continental breakfast – for CHF245 a night. Not what I would have expected, when you compare against other hotels at that price across Europe and the rest of the world, and as I have been travelling as a business traveller, frequently, for over 25 years, I feel I can adequately made a decent global comparison on this having travelled on all continents during this time.

The most disturbing part about this hotel is its location. Yes it is only 5 minutes walk from the main Zürich hauptbahnhof station. But it is also located in the heart of the Zurich “red light” district and I walked outside the hotel to look for a restaurant to eat an evening meal and was immediately accosted by a “pack” of prostitutes. I was not happy and it made me feel very uncomfortable.

Overall, this was a poor hotel 2 star 3 at best and very over priced. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dhsurrey

Travelers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Jonesborough, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Our travel agent picked this hotel, and we were very pleased. The hotel is very near the train station, so you can easily skip the taxi and roll your luggage over to the hotel. It's near a major restaurant area as well, and it's easy walking distance to the downtown attractions.

We arrived tired from a transatlantic flight, early in the morning. The receptionist allowed us to check in 2 hours early, which was greatly appreciated. We heard a little bit of street noise, and I'd say that it's not ideal in the middle of summer when you really need to keep the windows open, but it worked very nicely for us.

The Basilea hotel, and every hotel we visited in Switzerland was impeccably clean.

The breakfast room was open before the posted time and the food was excellent, especially the yoghurt. Service was also great.

We didn't have a laptop with us, but were able to use the computer in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GenghisKhan
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stayed there for one night in september. Quick check-in and check-out. Didn't eat breakfast. Everything quite tight and small - the reception, the stairwell, the elevator, the room. Room and bathroom extraordinary clean and new-looking, really had everything needed - even a shaving mirror, extra paper towels, and small safe. Walls seem to be a bit thin, but heard no noise. Good sleeping and yet right in the very center of the city life. No objections. It would get an excellent grade if it was a tiny bit cheaper.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

A comfortable hotel in a terrific location close to the station and all of the attractions, the breakfast was adequate and the staff friendly.The room was pleasant but very warm overnight as there was no air conditioning and as we happened to be there the night of a parade it was noisy with window open.Quite expensive but all of switzerland is the same.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barry c
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

I stayed here for one night only as part of an airmiles deal. My room faced the back of the hotel ,but was quiet at night and was very spacious. Immaculately clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was usual fare, but very acceptable.
For the airport tram no 10 ,turn left on leaving hotel and stop is at the end of street,very short distance . Coming from the station a little further but only a few minutes walk. I am 69 with a small trolley case and managed both easily.
There is a very good Italian Restaurant across the road and a bar further down for a drink afterwards. The street below with lots of bars and restaurants did not really appeal to me, most signs were in German which I am not very fluent in and a slightly seedy atmosphere. However, I sat outside the bar opposite the hotel and there was no problem at all in the early evening, I think the red light area either very low key or I was too early to bed !
I would definitely stay here if in Zurich again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were traveling with a child, so we booked the triple room which was moderate, nothing really special, but nice. The hotel itself is less than 1 mile from the main train station which makes it very convenient even while pulling along our luggage. The hotel is situated amongst some bars and restaurants and it is a little noisy at night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family