“Not so costly for Zurich, Horrible service, 1 night for 127CHF”
Review of Olympia Hotel

Olympia Hotel
Ranked #124 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed November 29, 2012

staff was not friendly, lot of attitude shown. Corridors are without lights. We got double room with two seperate beds at 90degrees! it felt like old soviet style room, bathrooms with white tiles...all at 127chf!
There is a tram station close by...you will reach Zurich HB in 20 mins.
Not recommended at all but this is the average price in Zurich...at 127 chf you ll get much better hotel in NY...yes Zurich is costlier than NY.....

Room Tip: 1st floor is noisy!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adiEurope

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Booked a single room, small rooms but cozy and compact. All amenities available. Good, helpful staff.
The hotel is close to a tram station and there us a supermarket bang opposite to the hotel.

Satisfied with my stay there.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank KBora
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We got an amazing two-bedroom penthouse suite with nice bathroom and separate lounge for a very affordable price (by Swiss standards). The room far exceeded our expectations.
However, the receptionist was very rude, smart and unfriendly, which spoiled our stay. We chose not to eat the hotel's breakfast as it was very expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the two-bedroom suite on the top floor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The location of hotel is very comfortable. The center of the city is accesible with tram 2 and 3 in 10 minutes.I felt the absolute cleanliness of the room on a daily basis, the friendliness and the perfect staff service. The noise from the main road, when you open the window, is an disadvantage and also when the other customers are speaking aloud you can hear them in your room. For us was a real value of money and we enjoyed every morning the perfect breakfast.

Room Tip: Value of money and a comfortable place to stay in a very expensive Zurich.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VassiliosFanaras
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I’ve chosen the Hotel Olympia based on its price and its location.

As I was aware of the almost insanely sky high hotel prices in Zurich but even so didn’t want to pay an arm and a leg for a room I first did a long and thorough search on various travel booking sites for a budget priced hotel located in downtown Zurich. I finally decided on the Olympia because the price was “only” 85 USD / CHF (including all taxes but excluding breakfast and parking) and because the hotel is located on a major street (Badener Street) leading to the historic city center in a matter of minutes by car or tram (or around 30 minutes on foot).

I entered the hotel address in my sat nav / GPS car naviagion system and the hotel is indeed pretty easy to find (though arriving from the airport area I had to do a U turn almost in front of the hotel during the evening rush hour and that was not so much fun...).

I then parked my rental car on Badener Street (metered parking) right in front of the hotel and asked the employee who was checking me in if that was OK. He indicated that I would get fined if I didn’t put enough coins in the parking meter as there were regular checks by parking meter enforcement staff. He then offered me a parking space next to the hotel. Price: 18 USD / CHF per day if I remember correctly. I told him that I would first check the parking meter where my car stood and saw that it was already past the enforcement hours so I went back and told him that my car would remain where it was...

The elevator to my floor was a bit small but no problem with one large suitcase. The corridor that lead to my door was very dark. The room I got was basic but adequate. Everything was clean and worked as you would expect from a Swiss hotel. There was a window with a nice view toward the courtyard.
The LCD TV was disproportionally large for the room size (not many English language channels though, I only remember CNN). There was no air conditioning / AC unit but at least there was a small ventilator in the bedroom. The bed was small but the mattress was firm enough.

As it was summer I had to open the window to get the room temperature down. Outside there were people talking loudly until early in the morning...
In the bathroom there was a sink, a shower stall but no bath tub. Towels were nice and fluffy. A hair dryer and the usual amenities (shampoo, soap) were there as well.

I didn’t try the restaurant nor any other services. By the way: On the guest card they advertise for the Stoller bar / brasserie at the Mercure Hotel Stoller (located just 100 meters away) as both are managed by the same company (“Stoller Gastronomie unternehmen”) as it seems.

All in all it was a nice place and good value for Zurich. The location was not 100% perfect but there are several other hotels in the vicinity, including the upscale Crowne Plaza, so it didn’t feel too much out of the way.

Can I recommend this hotel? Yes, especially if money is an issue and if you want a nice and clean (yet basic) hotel, the Olympia will do the job. However, if you fancy something luxurious then you should probably better look somewhere else as you will most likely be disappointed by the Olympia. For a sightseeing trip to Zurich where you are probably outside of the hotel most of the time anyway I’d say it should be more than adequate for most people staying in Zurich for a short city break.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Voyager
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Switzerland is expensive and most accommodation is predictably so. This place is clean, vanilla and a no thrills type of place. All of the tourist sites are a long walk through the red light district however, it is easily accessible by the no. 2 and no.3. tram. There is a Co-Op across the street for simple breakfasts, etc. Worth a stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank StraightTripin
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Hotel very nice, clean room and bathroom. The bed linen and towels were new aspects. Near the center of Zurich, and surrounded by restaurants and a supermarket. Recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple