“Delicious dinner!”

Restaurant Malabar
Ranked #212 of 1,944 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We offer a high quality Indian cuisine based on fresh and saisonal ingredients. Our menus include contemporary gourmet interpretations as well as a selected range of Indian classics: South Indian Thalis, Curries, Tandoori and a big range of vegetarian dishes. We offer vegan or halal preparations on request.
“Delicious dinner!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic dinner at the malabar yesterday. We spontaneously decided to go there and did not have extra high expectations. I had the malabar chicken curry which was fantastic. A special taste that was delicious. My girlfriend hat the vegetarian thali and was amazed about it. we also tried the mixed chutneys and had a delicious naan. I can definitely recommend you to try it out!

1 Thank PaulHell

Switzerland
“Only average”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We made a reservation for a table, the reservation was "lost". But no problem, there have been enough free tables on a Wednesday evening. Wednesday is always buffet. I have to say that I'm not a buffet fan, but others in my group are. The buffet consists of 1 meat (chicken curry), 1 fish (calamares, which have been far under average...don't try these!), rice, and a choice of three vegetables. The chicken and the vegetables are quite good, but I had many other better indian meals around the world - as well as in Zurich. The atmosphere is somehow cold, because the restaurant is in an old Swiss-style restaurant, a little bit "pimped" to indian style. The personnel was friendly, service was good. The home made icecream was a positive surprise - try this! Overall, I will search for a better alternative, this was a one-timer for me, also because of the boring music (electro-indian-style....). Bad price/value ratio in terms of food.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Travel_TomCH
Zurich, Switzerland
“Authentic South Indian food.”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have just gotten back from a nice lunch at Malabar.

For lunch they have a limited lunch menu with around 5 curry choices, 2 Italian dishes and 1 Swiss dish. Dishes range between CHF20- 30.

For Indian, they offered a veg thali, chicken thali, and prawns thali as well as a veg kofta dish and a veal coconut curry dish.

We ordered chicken thali's all around and they were very good. The thali consisted of a papdum, steamed white rice, a dry South Indian beetroot stirfry, a yellow dal, a yoghurt sambhar with pineapple and chicken masala. While the dishes lacked a little salt the taste was authentic. The chicken was the best on the thali and I enjoyed it in the cold weather. The owner helped out with the service and I told him to keep the food authentic. I pleaded with him not to go down the route of other Indian restaurants in Switzerland whereby they water down and westernize their food to suit local tastes and he promised not to.

We also ordered naans with our meal and while they were good, they were not baked in a tandoor, as I noticed that they lacked that unique charred flavour.

The dining room is quite contemporary, of good quality and a nice place to have a meal. It does not seem Indian to me but then again the taste of the food is more important than anything else.

All in all, a good place that will hopefully continue to improve.

Service at lunch is a bit hit and miss, what wit honly 1 waiter, but they try their best and we were satisfied. Give it a go.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Smoke_Trees
Andrea R, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Restaurant Malabar, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thanks a lot for your positive feedback for the Malabar Restaurant. We hope to have you with us again soon!

We just got our Tandoori oven installed, so you can have the real flavour now.

All the best Madhu and Andrea Padmanabhan