“Nice ambiance, bad service”
Review of AURA

AURA
Ranked #185 of 1,987 Restaurants in Zurich
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I heard a lot about the AURA restaurant, Bar and Smokerslounge, so I wanted to see it myself.
My plan to go there was that I go in the late afternoon in thesmokerslounge to enjoy a cigar and a cognac, and after that I wanted to have dinner in the restaurant, located one floor lower.

So I sat down with three other friends in the smokerslounge and orderd the digestifes and the card for the cigar.
Unfortunately two of three digetifes were the false and the cigarcard, on an iPad, came too late and it s not comfortable and not clearly represented.
After orderd again the right digestifes and the cigars, the digestifes finally arrived.
But not one cigar.
So again we needed to remind the waitress to bring us what we ve orderd.
After like 30 minutes we had all what we d liked.
But the mood to have dinner with the same servicequality was allready away.
So we cancelled the table and we left and went to another restaurant.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was super impressed when first walking into Aura and had a great experience with cocktails with friends in the bar upstairs. Zurich was in need of hip dining experience that Aura offers. The bar service upstairs was super friendly and professional. When we were seated for dinner we already had a great impression of the place and wanted to consider booking our Christmas party. The menu was not explained and just given to us and when one from our company asked the waitress what dish out of two would she recommend she just stated arrogantly "They are both good". Ok..... Food was expensive for what it was and everything needed to be ordered separately but ok it is located in one of the highest rent areas in the world. But when we got the bill we were surprised to see that we were charged 90CH for water! We were just served water from a glass jar with no name or brand. They kept filling our water the entire dinner and ended up charging this ridiculous price of 14 CH for water per liter that you have no clue where it was from. I know in Zurich they often charge for just plain tap water but when you offer water at the table you don't up-sell and continue to bring water to the table at that price with no brand or nothing. If it was Voss or Fiji and you saw the bottles which is how most nice restaurants operate bringing a branded bottle to the table you would know it would cost but this is a complete scam and we felt really screwed on a commodity that costs the restaurant 1 cent to provide. The manager was extremely rude about my inquiry and made me feel "cheap" because I didn't want to pay some ridiculous price for water I don't know where it came from and just continuously served without being asked. Would you buy a bottle of wine and not ask to see the "label"? The whole set-up just makes you feel dirty. The waiter then adjusted the bill after trying to argue with me that this is normal for Zurich and left the bill and said a cheaper price of 36CH for "water for Africa" and a donation slip and walked away. Ok so you charge 14 CH and don't donate a cent and then adjust the bill and say the tap water is at a price and a donation is given to charity......I know this is a procedure in some restaurants but the way he talked to me was the worst and most insulting experiences I have ever encountered in a restaurant and especially for one that is suppose to be so nice. Not only did the restaurant disappoint me but our entire group of 8 after seeing how we were treated which you would need to filmed to believe how arrogant and insulting this behavior was.

3  Thank mbryant73
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The evening was going great - great company, good food and wine, stimulating conversation. The atmosphere in the restaurant was buzzing and full on a Wednesday night - no wonder given the fantastic location, there were many business people from nearby offices no doubt, like us.

The restaurant was designed with a very modern twist on the wood and slate styles - wood tables, clean lines, a wall of slate at the back and the grill in the middle of the room. It's a long room and we were taken to our seats at the very end, past 2-3 extremely large stone vases, with wooden long lamps dangling at various intervals, casting a warm but bright light all around.

If anyone has been to Sake No Hana in London would understand this sort of almost modern Japanese with European infusion. There was wide stairs leading down to the little wine cellar and the bathrooms, where everything was brightly lit and safe. The bathroom was in a similar style; slates on the walls, stone vases and extremely clean and bright. It was decorated with round little mirrors placed everywhere above the sink; the sink being an extremely deep and narrow mosaic creation which matched the door handles.

I ordered the Grilled Quail's Breast on nüsslisalat with slices of foie gras and the most delicious pinenut dressing imaginable. Delicious!
My friend ordered the Champagne truffel soup which smelt wonderful, with the appropriate amount of foam placed tantalisingly on top.

For mains, I had the rindsfilet from the grill with Café de Paris sauce and pomme allumette on the side. My friend ordered the white tuna steak with eggplant caviar and almond broccoli as a side. Our other friend had the sliced tuna steak with a spicy kind of cucumber sauce.

The food was all very delicious but here was where they failed somewhat in my opinion....
1) My friend had asked for tap water and they actually charged for each refill, coming to a total CHF 9 for 8dl of tap water - not much at all, but on principle......

2) My Café de Paris sauce was such a miniscule proportion that it was impossible for customers not to ask for more sauce. That extra bit of sauce was an extra CHF2

3) Side dishes were an extra CHF 7 which is normal....but considering how expensive the main dishes were.......

4) A glass of Moet Chandon rosé champagne was CHF21.....compared to a michelin starred restaurant I went to recently and was served a Perrier-Jouét rosé (which is far more superior in my humble opinion) was CHF19......

So all in all, it was a great evening and I must reiterate that we had no complaints about the food. But really, to charge that extra CHF2 for sauce and for tap water?! How CHEAP do you, as a high end restaurant establishment, make yourself?? Talk about lack of customer service in this regard (because the sauce that came with my steak was really on a nanoscopic scale.....)
As the Swiss would say, this is really BÜENZLI!!

2  Thank imajesas
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've been looking for an upscale American-style restaurant in Zurich for awhile and this is it. The decor is modern and fresh with seating at the grill or more traditional seating available throughout the restaurant. We choose to sit at the grill where we could watch the chefs prepare our humongous piece of beef. It was a sight to behold.

Typically in Zurich one can only find entrecote when dining out in Zurich. Here you will find several cuts of meats and severals sauces to accompany them. They were cooked to perfection; just like back in America.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was hip, upbeat and fun; again, like Zuni or Town Hall in San Francisco. I had a blast and am looking forward to returning.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We tried this new restaurant in Zurich. We really liked the modern design of the restaurant. We tried the meat dish from the grill. The meat was excellent cooked. We liked it very much. The service was friendly and helpful even if we didn't had a table but where sitting at the Bar Grill.
The only thing they should try to improve is the level of noise.