“Ok but too expensive for what you pay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Shinwazen Sake Wine Bar - CLOSED

Shinwazen Sake Wine Bar
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Delicatessen, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: SHINWAZEN was founded by Yuko Suzuki and Markus Baumgartner on behalf of a deep wish to build a bridge between Japan and Europe. It is a place to get together. Enjoy a Yuzu lemonade as an apéro or our drink of the house with Umeshu after Saturday shopping, come for a relaxing Friday dinner or simply stop by to shop some of the best Japanese products for home-cooking.
Adliswil
“Ok but too expensive for what you pay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

The service is really nice and the owners make sure that you have drinks and food and that you are not missing anything. Very nice people.

I took the dinner menu for 78 CHF. Some starters, a main dish, and then soup and rice with sashimi at the end.

The starters were ok. A bit flat on taste but eatable. The tempuras were good but I missed a sauce with it as the couple of drops that were on the plate was not really enough. So for me it is 6 out of 10

The main dish (whole grilled fish) was not my taste at all. I usually like fish but this one tasted too fishy (in a negative way). The sauce with it was underlining this fishiness even more. I stopped eating it after a couple of bites. The owners came and asked me a couple of times what was wrong with it and to elaborate on what was wrong. It was nicely meant by them but I started to feel uncomfortable. For me, one time would have been enough. They took it back and brought me gyoza instead. They were also flat in taste but much better than that fish. So for the main I would give 3 out of 10.

The miso soup and the little bowl of rice with the couple of little slices of fish was ok. 5 out of 10.

When the bill came, there was a supplement of 10 CHF extra because I send back the fish. It is fair you can argue and I paid it but for the money you pay you would expect a bit more.

So all in all.... Service is good and the people there are friendly. Atmorsphere is a bit sterile and very simple. Food is way too expensive for what it is and the portions are tiny (compared for what you pay).

I do not think I would go there again unfortunately because it is too expensive. I ended up paying over 100 CHF and I was not even full. For 100 CHF (a person without alcohol) you can go to a very high end place in Zurich and have a really good proper 3 course dinner.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank BasmaT

Zurich, Switzerland
“Best Japanese Food in Zurich (as long as you get the teriyaki chicken)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Being Singaporean and extremely fussy with food - I have not had particularly good Japanese food (sushi, sashimi, kaiseki...whatever) in Zurich.
I first heard about Shin Wa Zen (a new establishment) from a really nice Japanese chef who works in a little diner near where I work; we were both lamenting about the sordid lack of quality Japanese food in Zurich, and he told me, "well it isn't like Tokyo, but this is pretty good", and so my fiance and I hit Shin Wa Zen that very weekend.

If you take 3 michelin starred quality Jap food ala Tokyo as a 10, this would rate a 7.5.
If you just are just listing and ranking the quality of Japanese food in Zurich, then this is probably the best place in town right now.
We had the three course meal, with the sake accompaniment.

I would recommend that you pick the Teriyaki Chicken as the main course; ignore the Beef - the teriyaki chicken is 50% better than the beef, and my fiance (who picked the beef) spent the rest of the evening staring hungrily at my teriyaki chicken (so I shared that with him).

The beef isn't a wagyu anyway, so don't bother.

The starters ranged between a 6 to a 8.5 out of 10.
The teriyaki chicken was a 10 for me.
The dessert was a 7 out of 10 - I had the sesame panna cotta.

Service was pretty good - but a little slow as it was packed.
We had initially ordered the 5 course meal but they ran out (that is a "good problem" for them I guess) as they had sooo many people that day.
They painstakingly explained the sake they brought us (classified sake, which means it's the top 7% of sake) - and we tried 3 different ones. They were all sublime.

Decor and Ambience
It was pretty understated but elegant. Makes you feel like you should be surrounded by architects in black turtlenecks and hipster glasses.

Minimalistic with a slight touch of Japanese tradition. I liked it.

I am hitting this restaurant again this Thursday, so will update again, then.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank ge0rgeous
Herrliberg, Switzerland
“Understated Excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Zurich's newest Japanese restaurant is set in an understated, but very elegant setting. Simplicity at its best: Nothing will distract you from the excellent food that you can enjoy here! You will be seated at the one long table and be given a choice between a three course and a five course meal. We chose the three course meal (which turned out to be a five course dinner anyway as you will be served three entrees that count as one course), one main course and then rice or dessert. We relished each and every dish. The fusion of local high quality products with very careful Japanese preparation yields amazing results. When served the miso soup at the end of the dinner, we both felt transported to Japan with the first sip! A large selection of sake (and competent help in choosing the right one) is also available. All this combined with the attentive, friendly service makes you want to go there again soon!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank uhu55
Basel, Switzerland
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Cool restaurant space....and nice to see something like this in Zürich. Just one long table that everyone sits at. Nice Japanese minimalist design. Nice, simple menu and concept.

Food is good but definitely not WOW and I find it overpriced. I understand the importance of using high quality products and the price they have but the prices at Shinwazen are to high for what you receive. The service is very friendly but obviously not professionally trained. 5 Course meal for CHF115 but with simple noodle soup and rice ball with bouillon as 2 of the courses I don't understand how they justify the price.

The price for Sake is also very high but wine is very reasonable

All in all the place has potential. It's a nice, new, cool space but the food, pricing and service need improvement for it to be a great place to go.

• Visited October 2012