“Lovely European Neighborhood Restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Schnitzelhuus
Ranked #547 of 1,872 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: German, Austrian, Swiss, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Zurich
“Lovely European Neighborhood Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

In this time of trendiness, it gets hard to find a good old fashioned European neighborhood restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I like Thai and Indian food but sometimes I want something that tastes like the food I grew up with.

For me, Schnitzelhuus is a little oasis of coziness and charm in this sea of trendiness we call Zürich. It's a small place with blue checked table cloths and pictures of royalty on the walls. It's impecably clean. The service team is very friendly and accomodating and sometimes even wears traditional lederhosen or dirdnls. I find this charming.

As the name indicates, the menu is all about schnitzel. There are 20 different schnitzels served in 3 different sizes. You can also buy schnitzel by the meter to share with your friends. The table next to us had it and it looked pretty spectacular. My husband and I were in the mood for traditional Wienerschnitzel and were very pleased with the medium sized veal version. The potato salad reminded my of my grandmother's. But the real scene stealer was the lentil soup. OMG, if you like a good hearty soup, this is worth the trip.

After that wonderful soup and a nice big schnitzel, I really was too full to try a dessert but the offerings of apple strudel with vanilla sauce or home made chocolate cake were looking good.

This is a nice friendly neighborhood place where everyone is welcome. The prices are more than fair for the Zürich market. It would also be a nice place to take visitors who are here to visit central Europe and want to experience the local traditional cuisine. Street parking is very limited but there is a public parking garage just down the street that costs 50 rappen per hour.

I'll be visiting again. =)

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank swisssan

Zurich, Switzerland
“Fast service and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Having lunch there was a good idea.

Apart from the decor, which appears to be from the 80's, they have a lean lunch menu, which suggests that food should be fresh...

While having to wait rather long in other restaurants in Zürich. Here you get you food in no time to a reasonable price. The food itself is good as well.

I will definitely visit this place again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Zurich, Switzerland
“Too much - even for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have been twice in the Restaurant Schnitzelhuus recently, both times with friends from office.
The Restaurant is in Zurich Oerlikon, around one mile away from Oerlikon Trainstation.

The place is rather small and has just a few tables so reserve a table is a must. Had to call a few times to get one successful.

Anyway, there not too many car parkings around but still always got one. There's a parking lot around 500m away from the restaurant in the direction of the train station.

Welcome and Service is nice but the place does not look very much like an Austrian style place, could be german or swiss too.

The menu is long and contains many different positions - but all around Schnitzel. If you a veggie lover - you at the wrong place. Any Schnitzel can be ordered with 3 different sizes (Mouse Ear - Donkey Ear and Elephant Ear) - guess what I had :)

Talking about food, I've took the "Winter Special" which is a "Schnitzel backed with cheese" (guaranteed 3 calories only).
The meet is tasty with good consistency, well, I had better meet in my life but that cost hell of a lot more. We all took a large Schnitzel not many could finish it - need to say I did not eat for 24 hours after :)

Quick word about the pricing - more then fair for Zurich!
Waiting time was ok - we enjoyed some proper week beer in the meantime, maybe some people would call it "bit slow"

Verdict:

Con :

Not much - have to search for it ... maybe the small car park ? The relatively simple style?

Pro:

Large Portions
Good Service
More then fair pricing for Zurich

This place is great for anyone - with Kids or with Friends - GO THERE !

• Visited April 2013
Zurich
“Good schnitzel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a good restaurant if you want a decent schnitzel at normal zurich prices. The interior is rather small and decorated with paintings of european royalty, the service personell were wearing traditional german clothing which was a bit special for our visitor. The man who served us was originally from Köln. We all ordered either cordon bleu or traditional wienerschnitzel with pommes frites or rosemary potatoes and it was all to our satisfaction. There are three sizes of schnitzel, mouse ear, donkey ear or elephant ear. We were all very satisfied with the middle size. I had a primitivo by the glass which was also fine.

Visited January 2013