“Putting the "Scene" in Zurich's Gastro-scene”
Review of Fork & Bottle

Fork & Bottle
Ranked #268 of 2,085 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Farm-to-table cuisine and an ever-changing menu of craft beer and artisanal wine, Fork & Bottle invites you in to enjoy great food and drink in a relaxed country setting.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was in Zurich for business from Boston, MA and had a weekend stay in Zurich (02 March 2013). I found Fork and Bottle on TripAdvisor, and I have to say it was even better than the great reviews had me expect. Mike (an ex-pat also from the Boston area), the owner, has a very creative kitchen, and curates a fantastic beer list. Fork and Bottle showed me that craft brewing is alive and well in Europe...despite the best efforts of Reinheitsgebot. Most of the wonderful beers available there are coming from breweries in Italy and Southern Switzerland, and hold their own against the best that California and the Mid-West have to offer!
As I took the virtual tour of Italy's craft breweries, I tried to decide on what to have for supper...everything on the menu, which isn't too big, nor too small...just right...appealed to me in some way or another, either to scratch that itch for good ol' American pub grub, or to sample the locally sourced meats, or to try a preparation I had not tried before. It was not an easy decision, but I finally arrived at the confit porkbelly. It was excellent. The meat was perfectly cooked, the flavors were lovely, and the accompanying side items were perfect complements to the dish. Based on consuming this dish, and seeing many of my other contenders come out of the kitchen, I do not think it is possible to have buyers remorse here. And on the off chance that you do find yourself remorseful, you can take solace in the fact that the prices here are very low for Switzerland, and seem outrageously so when you consider the quality of food you get.
Fork and Bottle also is home to likely the only Sunday Brunch in continental Europe. I saw the menu, and was intrigued, but sadly had move on from Zurich Sunday morning. In the warmer months Mike is able to use ample space outside of his restaurant, (an old converted farm house...very charming) as a good sized beer garden. I hope to be able to return there when it is open again.
In addition to the great beers and kitchen, Fork and Bottle strives to be family friendly, and is very accommodating to children.
The place is located a bit outside of downtown Zurich, but is only about a 7 minute train ride from the main station in Zurich (Zurich HB) on the S7 line I believe. It is well worth the trip, whether you are a foodie, beer hound, home-sick Yank, or life-long resident of Zurich.

1  Thank MTGross

Reviewed March 24, 2013

All main courses are huge and really heavy, tasty but unhealthy side.
Small home cooked menu that changes t the regular basis.
Very long list of beers that the master can explain and choose the perfect match for you.

The reasons that I give only four stars are there's really no light choices which some people do need foe some occasions.
Also potato wedges looked nice, but was rather tasteless.

A bit out of town but I'd go back to this place when I have cravings for burger

I had
- natcho with warm spinach and artichoke dip
- BBQ ribs with potato wedges
- California common (beer)

1  Thank cake_0
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

You can feel the love and effort behind each dish! Great service. We had an event there for 40 friends. No order was too small or too complicated. We'll be back - individually. Thank you owner and staff!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Fork and Bottle is like a home away from home for me. The food is excellent - also for a vegetarian like myself. The veggie burger is honestly the best I've had and the breakfast burrito for brunch on a Sunday is my favourite. The service is great - all the staff are so warm, friendly and familiar and, at the same time, super efficient. You can tell that they enjoy working at F&B. The owners are absolutely fantastic and, of course, the restaurant's treasured mascot is always there to greet the guests!

1  Thank amon3383
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Located under and at the entrance to the on ramp of the elevated autobahn, so a bit noisy, but still it is open space with a huge patio area with views of Uetliberg and the Zurich fussball team outdoor practice fields. An easily accessible 10 minute train ride from Zurich HB with the S-Bahn (S4) to Brunau and walking across the street.

I was greeted by a really, really sweet hostess, Diane, and we ended up talking about this weeks great weather, their restaurant beginning the summer outdoor season, offering live band performances on the patio. We had a great conversation and she offered me their business card and also a listing of all of the bottled beers they offer.

I ordered a draft beer (CHF 5.50) and wanted her opinion on a few items on the menu, then I opted for the Burger and fries (CHF 20). The burger came with lettuce, tomato, pickle, garlic spread on a toasted bun and I also ordered cheese. The burger was very juicy and tasted very good and the fries were also good. The food was overall very good! The view of the green belt and Uetliberg made for a special environment.

Negative: There does seem to be some conflict between their website prices and what they charge. Though it stated Burger and fries on the website CHF 20, they actually charge CHF 22 (note: I did have cheese added on my burger, but it was not listed or charged separately on my receipt). Also, the website lists the draft beer (CHF 5.50), but they actually charge (CHF 6), so the website needs to be brought up to date. The serving of fries, though delicious, was very small and could have easily been doubled in portion size for a reasonable serving.

I did previously stop by during the month of January, but it was during the week and there was a sign posted on the entrance door that they would only be open for Sunday brunch during January. The January hours were also on their home page under the recent post section.

In general, a very good visit and excellent food. I can not say enough good things about my hostess, Diane, as she made me feel very welcomed and appreciated and I look forward to returning again!