“Pretty good rooms and location”
Review of Swissotel Zurich

Swissotel Zurich
Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed March 29, 2010

It was a clean hotel and has quite a convenient location.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,308)

Reviewed March 27, 2010

located between the airport and the "Hauptbahnhof", Swissotel is the ideal place to organise business meetings.

Cheers,
Khaled

Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Been there for 3 nights during March 2010 due to a seminar that was held in the hotel’s premises.

Reception:
Huge with very polite and helpful staff.

Room:
Not too big, but clean and excellently decorated. Fully equipped with a relatively big flat TV, bathrobes, slippers, and above average quality sanitary products. Although the hotel is located near a train station, it was quite and peaceful.
Bathroom was great. Extremely clean and very practical.

Restaurant:
Relatively expensive, however, the quality of food was high enough to justify the price level.
Excellent room service.

Location:
The Hotel is not located in the center, however it is extremely convenient. It is one (train) stop away from the airport and two stops away from the Main train station. The train station of Oerlikon is located just across the street and enables you to go anywhere within 10’.
FYI: Taxi charged 35 CHF / 25 Euros for a ride from the Airport

Conclusion:
Swissotel is a decent and clean hotel with great staff and good food. Location can be pro or a con depending on what you are looking for.
Price listed on the web is quite expensive, but if you try via a travel agent, you might get a better rate.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank JohnChrys
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Newly remolded charmer just outside of the city center. The spa, pool and fitness facility is on the roof, you are one stop from the airport and two stops from Zurich HB main station - easily accessible, very clean and comfortable.

I was at the Swissotel Zurich for a training session (I was hosting it). The staff was wonderful.

Things I like about this hotel:
The rooms are newly renovated. I stayed in an un-renovated room last year and it was, well, in need of renovation. The new rooms are wonderful (see pictures). I stayed in room 1501 which overlooked the square in the back of the hotel. The beds and bedding is very soft and comfy. The updated bathrooms are a nice touch. I was able to keep the window open all night and not hear the trains. The spa and pool facility is wonderful - you'll read enough about it here. The restaurant downstairs is great and the staff, across the board, is one of the best I have come across. The conference facilities are wonderful.

Things I don't like about the hotel.
This is not the hotel's fault, but when I first stayed last year, I was in a room that overlooked the Oerlikon station, which the hotel is adjacent to. I heard trains most of the night and morning. This is not generally an issue but I was forced to keep the window closed and the air conditioner had a hard time keeping the room cold (which it also had in this recent stay in room 1501). If you book a stay at this hotel, be sure to get a room on the back side - see the floor layout picture and understand 1501 faces the back, farthest away from the station.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AgileDude
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We have just returned from Zurich in Feb.

The only reason why I have given the hotel only 4 stars is because we were in an unrenovated room and there was renovation noise from 9am until 7pm. If you are in one of the new rooms, I think you will be happy here. For us, our room was OK I suppose because we were so tired by the end of the day and we just hit the bed but I admit it really would have been nicer to have had a new room.

However, it wasn't all bad......the beds and duvets were fabulous and for someone who is always fussy with beds and pillows (I can never get comfortable) for once in my travelling life I slept very well. But really, the rest of the room was truly unremarkable. There is nothing to comment on: it was all very average.

The breakfast was excellent and if you are a tea drinker, like me, you'll appreciate the wide range of beautiful teas on offer. There was such a big selection I really was spolit for choice there. I must also comment on the bakery: I saw with my own eyes freshly baked croissants and pastries placed in the baskets for guests. Piping hot and crispy fresh right from the oven which was fabulous. There is the usual array of juices, cereals, dairy, fruits, hot foods and some asian touches like congee (which I noticed because I live in Hong Kong) It was an excellent buffet breakfast. You'll not need lunch for quite some time.

I must also mention the girl at concierge who was tremendously helpful with her tips for the area and arranging tickets for us for trains. She was polite and clear (Tiffany?) With her help we had successful days in Bern, Lucerne and Mt Rigi. FYI if you plan to go to Lucerne you can take the train directly from the station literally across the road.

Although the hotel was a little out of the main city centre, this didn't bother us. It really isn't that much further. We found a supermarket next door to the Swissotel that was good for nibbles and we tried the Mama Mia Italian restaurant directly across from the hotel which was good food but sadly the waitress forgot our order and we waited 40 mins for it.......at least it was OK when it finally arrived. And she was terribly sorry the poor thing :(

As for in Zurich city centre: (sorry, small side note from the hotel review)

In the main city centre we enjoyed a super yummy hoc choc and home made apple strudle at Henrici Cafe. We enjoyed many a good sausage and fondue in the old town as well. You'll eat well! In Bern, try Verdi Ristorante Bar and Enoteca. Lovely truffles.

We found the most adorable toy shop ever. If you are shopping for a child (or even yourself like me!), please do go and see Meinrad's. It is a puppet and teddy bear shop. All the toys are hand made. They are expensive, but wait till you see the quality. I had to buy the beaver!

Zurich is a lovely city. We found everyone to be very friendly to us and happy to speak English (we don't speak any German or French) We enjoyed Switzerland. It was beautiful and civilized!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBug79
Swissotel_Zurich, Executive Assistant at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2010

Thank you, dear guest, for your valuable comments regarding your stay with us.

I appreciate these details and I forwarded your compliments to Tiffany. She was delighted, thank you!

The renovation will finalize in very nice high standard renovated rooms. Please let me surprise you with the new design!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. I am more than happy to.

Sunny greetings from Zurich
on behalf of the General Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2010

This hotel is located in Oerlikon, a 10-15 minute ride into town on public transport and a similar distance to the airport, so choose carefully but perfect for some.

Rooms maybe a little small but well designed and clean/efficient. Restaurant is fine but not spectacular but this is for business so it does the job, breakfast is excellent. Bar is also nice for a drink after meetings. Fitness centre and pool both good.

A good recommendation for business trips.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Swissôtel Zurich says: Thank you!

Your comments are highly appreciated. We are always motivated to receive new inputs and ideas in order to keep our service standard on a high level.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon not only on a business trip. Let us spoil you on a sunny weekend and enjoy a nice Spa treatment after sight seeing in zurich city centre.

All the best from Zurich
on behalf of the General Manager

Reviewed February 18, 2010

Getting there : Only one stop (Oerlikon station) from Zurich Airport which is about 6 mins away. From Oerlikon station, exit towards the track 1 side. Once you get out of station, cross the road and the hotel (the tallest building around) is in front of you (less than 30 meters from the station).

Check in : Fast and no-fuss

Staff :
at the front desk. The ladies were efficient and patient. The gentlemen were less patrent in their response.

guest services : very patient, informative and professional.

room : flat screen tv, decent size room and bathroom. very good heating. stayed there twice over 10 days. first room had comfortable bed. the second room's bed was too soft.
clean and well maintained.

getting to town : 6 or 7 mins by train from Oerlikon station. about one train every 5 mins.

ammenities : starbucks on ground floor of hotel. macdonalds opposite. there's a small little shopping centre opposite with a supermarket. nice swimming pool on the top floor.

there's some renovation going on currently so expect knocking, noises, etc...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam and Sir

Sunny greetings from Zurich!
I really appreciate your detailed feedback on tripadvisor.com.
Our service can only be improved with the help of your comments. Thank you!
Looking forward to welcoming you soon with us.

Best regards from Zurich