“RIGID AND UN COPERATIVE”
Review of Swissotel Zurich

Swissotel Zurich
Ranked #34 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed there for one night only in Oct 2012, No doubt the Hotel was good and located near the
Railway Station but the staff was very uncoperative , We had booked the Hotel through OLOTELS
and at the time of booking the rate was offered inclusive of breakfast and once you pay the amount the confirmation does not show inclusive of breakfast, but I had taken the Screen Shot of
the same, The hotel staff started arguing for the same and made us wait for at-least 45 minutes asking different people and calling up here and there but still they could not get a Solution and there was one Mr Frank who wanted to see the Screen shot of the same, I was not able to locate the same and called up my son and he mailed me and the hotel, After seeing the same again I was made to wait for a long time and was told that anyone can make a screen shot and send us which I was so surprised that a Hotel of that calibre makes such a fuss only for breakfast, I was very disappointed with them and also with OLOTELS as I felt cheated by them

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SBH5850
Swissotel_Zurich, Manager at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear SBH5850

I really appreciate your feedback - even it comes late, but better than never. I feel sorry, that you had such negative moments at our hotel regarding the booking. If there is a next time: Please contact me in person, I will care for you to get sure everything is perfect: jenny.cardinaud@swissotel.com
With my best regards, Jenny Cardinaud
Emotions Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while attending a business meeting. Rooms while generally small, were larger than what I found at typical european hotels in zurich. They were modern and well furnished. Bed was extremely comfortable and bathroom amenities were good. As many have noted, very convenient by train to airport. Five minute ride with no more than a fifteen minute wait. Great access to city center as well. But Oerlikon tself, where this hotel is located, is a commercial center and nothing much by way of sights or shopping. The nespresso machine in the room is a nice touch and the breakfast is outstanding. Its a great place to stay if you are here on business, or if you get a good rate. The staff were very friendly but often got confused with my instructions/requests. However, that did not result in any major issues during my stay.

Room Tip: choose Higher floors, renovated rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Swissotel_Zurich, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear G S s
Thank you for your comment. I am happy to read that you liked the rooms and breakfast. We hope to see you again soon. Sunny greetings from Zurich, Carmen Kresse, Emotions Manager

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I super love the spacious room. When I opened the door i was lead to an "L" shape corridor and once I saw the size of the room, it was like a mini business suite. I love the transparent bathroom too! Perfect for my honeymoon ;) The downside is the hotel has no air-conditioner because of the cold weather in Switzerland, coming from Asian country, we were not used to heater. So we turned off the heater and slept with the window opened instead. During morning, it was quite noisy due to our room was facing the train station.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Whilst a nice hotel with good facilities and rooms, location is everything. Overlooking office blocks and the railway station, the best view you will get is a concrete jungle. Whilst it may be a good location if you are running a seminar or a corporate event, for the tourist, you'd be better off being closer to the City Centre for exploration especially as a taxi anywhere will cost you a small fortune.

Rooms are comfortable and clean, but again as seems to be the case in very hotel I have stayed in air conditioning seems to be missing, so the temperature in my particular bedroom could not be controlled. With safety latches on the windows, don't expect to get a breeze, but to be honest even on the 12th floor, the noise from the traffic and trains was pretty loud so best to leave them shut.

I was given an upgrade on my room, and the only difference I could ascertain was that I got a non-working DVD player and a Nespresso machine. Glad I did not pay extra!

The restaurant was pretty good, food was good quality but be prepared to pay.

As a location, not the best but this is reflected in the hotel rates.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had a short stopover in Zurich and decided to stay in this hotel rather than downtown. It is 2 stops away from the airport and another 2 stops away from the city centre. Perfectly located between both with easy access just at the door step. Very nice staff, had a problem with the booking which the manager on duty sorted out on the fly and offered us an upgrade on the spot. The room was nice and very comfortable. I now have an address to stay at in Zurich without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in Aug 2012. Coming from refreshing Swiss hospitality in Zermatt, this hotel was let down.

When we went to check in, we were told 1 out of our 2 rooms were not confirmed and had been "cancelled" by the travel agent. After a lot of discussion and requests to review and search (As I knew the agent had cancelled and rebooked), we didnt head anywhere. It was late night in India and we had to finally wake up our travel agent who gave us the confirmation numbers. Turns out the booking was there, except it was in my Second and Last name and not First....HUHHHH???

So, basically we spent 1.5 hours of our valuable tourist time because the reception staff couldnt read my passport. I mean the last name was the same and my second name was their on the passport. Why or how it was booked as such, I dont know, except that the travel agent always booked me correctly in all of the other hotels, so I think something was messed up by the hotel.

My biggest turn off was that the Check in lady wasnt contrite about it at all. It sounded business as usual and it made me mad that 4 of us had spent 1.5 hours doing nothing and it didnt count for much.

Rooms - The rooms are pretty small but functional. Its a huge hotel and looked like a business hotel.
Wifi - How can a business hotel work without a free wifi? Sure, I know they work, but I think every hotel should have this free in this age....its almost ridiculous paying the obscene charges that they charge for Wifi, but in fairness, I knew about it when I booked. You can get free wifi for 20 mins if you sit close to one of the coffee shops in the lobby (I forget which one).

Fitness Centre - The pool is nice, right at the top of the 30 something stories. The Sauna needs you to be fully naked, which isnt my idea of Sauna or steam. There wasnt even a separate "ladies' time" per se. The girls at the centre were helpful enough except for their giggling when I looked incredulous. They served these lovely Bob-Bon candies which were delicious.

Location - As a lot of reviewers mentioned, the location is brilliant...away from the hustle bustle of the central district, yet just a 2-3 min train ride. There is Mc Donald's too right across from the hotel. The rail station was just across the road from the hotel and extremely convenient. Zurich itself is fun and you shouldnt miss Bahnofstrasse for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I only stayed for one night but the location is great..close to the airport yet close to city center too. I HIGHLY recommend the train from the airport to the hotel. The taxi was almost $50 for a TEN MINUTE ride!!! Also, take the tram into city center....nice ride (15 minutes and only about $7). I was a bit miffed that I am a Fairmont Platinum member and the hotel tried to charge me about $31 for internet. This is outrageous for internet...to their credit, they threw in breakfast and the breakfast buffet is outstanding although they seemed to think that I was a freak for requesting decaf coffee LOL. Internet and a taxi for almost $100..travel smart!!!

The bed was AWESOME