“Better than expected, but too far from centre”
Review of Eden Au Lac

Eden Au Lac
Ranked #24 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed March 31, 2008

With limited time to check my schedule, I didn't do my usual TripAdvisor hotel check until too late and so was somewhat wary of what I would find, as too late to cancel and switch to Zum Storchen or Schweizerhof, where I have stayed before. However, I found it not nearly as bad as previous reviews would have it, although the breakfast was a bit underwhelming.

I found reception/bell staff fine and polite, if not massively welcoming, although check-out (at the cashier's desk, giving you an idea of the style and vintage of the hotel ..) was a bit ponderous.

Room (112, on first floor, but on the corner and lake facing) was fine, good size and with quality fittings and a proper terrace/balcony (although snow made it less useful for this trip). I thought bathroom was also well done, with double basins and a big radiator, but no separate shower.

Room service was high quality and prompt - and I was able to order beyond the core menu (which was somewhat limited in the more simple items). However, having been tempted by the classic phrase ".. our magnificent/stunning/incredible breakfast buffet" and having a later start than normal, I broke my habit and went down for b'fast. Although acceptable, I have seen better in much smaller and less grand Swiss hotels - so not really living up to the billing, maybe underlined by the presence of only two other people in the room ...

Overall, I found the experience to be fine - my main problem with the hotel (as a traveller in Zurich for meetings) was the distance from the centre for ease of walking (and I walk pretty fast) and/or taxis (given the traffic on the quai and the convoluted one-way system); don't get me wrong, for leisure etc the location is probably fine, but if you have a tight meeting schedule or need to get to the main station then not quite so convenient (hence the attractions of the Schweizerhof, for example)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank doorstomanual

Reviewed March 29, 2008

I couldn’t relate to the previous reviews. This is a lovely, old-world hotel of just 50 rooms in a small lake front palace. It’s located in the middle of Zurich, a couple of blocks from the opera house and art museum. It is now owned by the Victoria Jungfrau hotel group, and apparently major improvements have been made. However it also has a pleasant patina and was not inappropriately modernized or decorated. (As was, in my opinion, the Luzerne Palace, owned by the same company.)
My room was spacious and elegantly simple in a traditional Northern European way. There was a roomy desk with both paid Ethernet and wireless offered. A small balcony overlooked the lake and mountains. The “king” bed was actually two twins pushed together. This is annoying, but standard in much of Europe. The feather duvet and pillows were wonderful. Only one English TV station was offered: CNN
The bathroom, positively sparkling, was new with a glass-enclosed shower, a huge tub and a “paperless” toilet. (You push a button and a torrent of well-aimed water does all the work.) It was surprising to find matches and an ash tray in a non-smoking room, however the balcony would have been very handy for a smoker, and I appreciated having the matches as a souvenir. (It’s getting harder and harder to collect them on trips!) Closet space and room for luggage was plentiful.
Room service breakfast arrived promptly, and was beautifully presented. The breakfast buffet was also very nice in the large formal, bright dining room looking out to the lake. There was lots of starched white linen, heavy hotel silver, helpful staff and excellent coffee, always served with hot milk.
Especially enjoyable was the bar/lounge where you can get tea and coffee as well as drinks. A small menu is also available. We ate one night in the formal candlelit dining room. A lovely experience however I felt the chef was trying too hard to be modern with his cuisine. Hotels like Eden au Lac do best with the lightest hand of modernization.
An exercise facility is needed but, overall, this hotel deserves a much higher rating.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This was our second hotel in Zurich for our honeymoon as I felt that it would be nice to have a lake view for a couple of days. Prior to arriving, we hadn't requested for anything in particular but we dropped the 'we're on our honeymoon' line which worked and the reception very kindly accomodated with a room that had lake views!

While many other hotels include breakfast in the rate, the Eden didn't include breakfast - which is quite expensive at CHF40 per person for the buffet breakfast.

Positives: great atmosphere, friendly staff
Negatives: dated decor, small CRT TV which is surprising given plethora of LCDs nowadays, lack of coffee/tea making facilities in the room, slightly out of the way if you want to be close to the centre (i.e. Bahnhoffstrasse)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adrian26
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for only one reason: Our flight home took off at the airport in Zurich. But anyways, when we booked our reservations, we had asked for a non-smoking room/floor, and when we got to our room we could smell smoke and see ashes on the balcony. The only other room they had was on the smoking floor, but that floor/room smelled less smoky!!!!!! The restaurant also was very over priced and not very good.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank SarahandSuch
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one single night in January, and it was so dreadful that I wished the night would pass so quickly so that I could get back on my business class seat that I felt was paradise compared to this nightmare !
After flying 17 hours from LA with 2 connections, I had to wait 25 minutes to get a room on the 3rd floor. (I made the reservation 20 days in advance and specifically asked for a room with a double-bed, I even sent them a written fax with my request !) And here I am, climbing the stairs to the 3rd floor because the elevator "was being serviced" -yeah, the whole freakin day- to get a room that was perfect to cook a turkey in, with a single bed facing a window that let in sunlight enough to power up 10 solar panels the size of the whole room !!! I thought I'd take refuge in the shower tub a few minutes later after trying to make use of the ironing board to cover the window coz the blinds weren't closing properly (was extremely tired to even complain)... and the worst-case scenario just popped up in front of me: water sprinting out of the wall just behind the faucet (yes, even after you close it) and i could only open the door and scream for the manager on duty after discovering that the staff don't actually respond to telephone calls. To cut a long story short, I ended up in another room with exactly the same wonderful faclities but without the priviledge of having a damaged faucet.
I'll end this ranting by saying that it was most certainly the worst 750 Euros I have spent during the entire course of my business travels so far.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
16  Thank MartyA
Reviewed July 13, 2006

YAEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We were booked here and when we got to the hotel they gave us their best regular room and it was small with only one bed, we specificly asked for two. Then they showed us atleast five more one worse after another. Not only that but it was on the very edge of town. AND it was 800frs a night. NO WAY.

Tis is NOT a slh. It is simply small.

DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed: June 2006
19  Thank britishairways8
Reviewed February 17, 2006

I stayed several times at the Eden au Lac, but I didn't for the last four years. Now, they have new management there. The hotel itself is very beautiful, great location und has a fantastic scenery. The only point is, that the management is a bit lazy and "boring". No innovation at this place. Everything is ok, not less, not more. If there would be a better management with much more spirit and innovation, then it would be my favourite hotel!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business