“Excellent facilities, friendly staff, outside central city.”

Zurich Youth Hostel
Ranked #1 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Zurich
France
“Excellent facilities, friendly staff, outside central city.”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed at Youth Hostel Zurich in November 2009 for the price of 42CHF per night. This hostel is located about 20minutes from the centre of town - you need to take a tram and then walk a while. The facilities at this hostel are superb and everything is kept immaculately clean. The room had 4 beds (2 bunks) and bedding was provided. Breakfast (included) was excellent and you could eat as much as you wanted. Internet is 6CHF per hour, or 4CHF per hour if you have a laptop. Overall I really enjoyed this hostel – the price is more than I would usually pay at a hostel however the experience was excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Great Clean Organised youth hostel. Decent dorms for 4 person.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Cardiff
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I booked four bed room for me and my friends for a football trip.

Situated in a Zurich suburb, the hostel sits in a very quiet and seemingly safe area.

The lobby area is large with a bar, cafeteria, games room and internet. The room (we had room 104) was a bit cramped but it was clean and modern. It had a basin and lockers. Hostel provided us with bed linen but you had to ask for a towel.

The showers and bathroom were clean and modern. The showers were individual cubicle rooms with locks.

Breakfast was part of deal and it was very good and healthy (cereal, bread, cheese, meat, fruit and coffee). We also tried their dinner, not bad but it was cheap in comparison to other places in an expensive city.

positive:
good clean and modern hostel.
healthy breakfast
cheapest food and beer
the staff were helpful with local knowledge.

Negatives:
rooms were a bit cramped, especially for four in a double bunk room. The bunks' ladders were precarious to use.
no towels, had to ask for them.

In all, hostelling at its best.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed at the Youth Hostel Zurich because we found accommodation to be quite costly at other places. For what you get, the hostel is great. We found the location to be a bit out of the city but it is easily accessible by tram. The restaurant area is HUGE - we found it quite formal. Overall, I'd recommend the YHA as it is well run even though it seemed quite serious to us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Perthchic
Delhi
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This is really a value for money accommodation in the city like Zurich. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay over there at such cheap rates. Rooms were clean and they serve good dinner as well. its very close to all the tourist attractions of the city.

Stayed February 2009
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 29, 2008

After reading some of the other reviews, I wish my experience had been more like that!

First, would like to say that when I booked the room, the person I spoke to said "meals are included! wireless internet is included!" This is the main reason why I booked the room.

For one night, I paid roughly 40 francs. I had stayed in another hostel for much less and had everything included...but when I arrived, they suddenly had a list of prices for everything that was supposedly "included." The gal at the front desk said "It's included but for a price." ???????? Tricky advertising. Usually when I see "included" I think it's INCLUDED IN THE PRICE. They didn't have wireless when I was there, and I didn't feel like sitting in the lobby to pay to use the internet per minute (I had school work to do on my trip, which is why internet was a main point when it came to booking). Also, the meals that were "included" were expensive...17 francs for dinner??? At a youth hostel??? Am I the only one who thinks that's insane? There's really nothing else to eat nearby, so I headed about 200 meters down the road to a grocery store that had a little take out cafe inside and spent only 8 francs.

That being said, the room was clean and I liked that the sleeping area was separate from the locker area with a door...really helped when noisy roommates were coming in late. Oh, lockers...they were also "included" but for a price...I believe 2 francs? The hidden fees really add up. The pillows were TERRIBLE...like they bought a bunch of pillows and cut them in fourths to save money. It was better sleeping on just the matterss. The comforters were similar. Considering all you're really in the hostel for is to sleep, you want your bed to be comfy! Also, my room was located next to the elevator AND on the first floor with a window facing some sort of park, so all night I heard people coming up and down the elevator, and drunk people yelling outside.

The lobby/common area was spacious and a good way to meet people. They have laundry in the building, the front desk was helpful, especially with transportation questions. All in all, it's not a bad place...just not really what's advertised.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — False advertising
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LollyNYC
Jerusalem
Reviewed May 15, 2008

just returned from a trip to switzerland with my wife and baby girl.
the stay here was great- amazingly clean rooms. Although the showers are shared they are also amazingly new and clean. You reallly couldn't ask for a better breakfast (Believe me, I've stayed in the most expensive 5 star hotels in the past, mostly when my parents were paying...).
Also, a great italian restaraunt really close by if you can't be bothered to go far for dinner. We took a take-away to the hostel as the public eating area is always a friendly place to be.
The only setback is the 10 min tram ride from the center and another 5 min walk from there. You're best printing a map from gmaps and making sure you know the address by heart, as passers-by will usually direct you.

• Liked — friendly service, nice public areas
  • Disliked — unclear directions
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)