“Nice atmosphere, but burgers are mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oliver Twist Pub

Oliver Twist Pub
Ranked #390 of 1,892 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to, "the place where people meet" and "the oldest pub in town". Two great reasons to visit us! We offer great quality pub food, English & Irish beers on tap and much more! Our staff strive to offer an authentic pub atmosphere to ensure our guests feel at home.The "Twist" is located in the old town of Zurich. We hope to see you soon!
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice atmosphere, but burgers are mediocre”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have passed by this pub several times and actually looked in the doors, but today, Easter Monday, I had lunch and was surprised by the size of the pub. The front entrance has a bar and a few tables and tv showing live sports. I actually looked around the corner of the bar and noticed a rear area with another bar and lots of tables, stools, more tv's and a dart game.
Decorated all in dark red wood, it has a nice down home feel to the place. There is also a large patio area located in the back (which was not set), but later a few regulars put out a few tables as the weather ended up being sunny and nice. The bathrooms were also very clean. There were a few people in the front of the pub, but I decided to dine at the back bar as there was live tennis and later Premier League fussball. Once the Premier League game started, the rear bar area began filling up with fans. They also offer other live sports like Rugby, live music and Monday night quiz night.

Service was friendly as there initially only one waitress that was running the bar and kitchen at the same time until another worker showed up a little later.

The next thing somewhat caught me off-guard. I ordered a beer (CHF 9.20) and a Cheeseburger . The burger (lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion and sauce) are advertised as snack (CHF 12.90) or feast (CHF 20.90) which simply meant add fries to your burger. My order was rung up and then I was asked to pay for my food on the spot. I could understand paying at the time of ordering if you are only having a beer, but this was the first pub, in Zurich, that asked me to pay first even though she recorded my order and table number. Why is this? Have you had a lot of dinners that 'dinned and dashed'- (without paying the bill). It gave the impression of a low budget establishment. Then on top of this she took my payment, printed the receipt then crumbled it up and threw it in the trash without asking me if I wanted/needed the receipt.

The meal is brought out with an Easter basket full of bottled condiments for the burger. The fries were good, but the quality/taste of the burger would just meet minimum taste standards and is no way a great burger.

Would I return? That's a tough call. For the burgers? No. The fries, beer and atmosphere? Yes, There is certainly room for improvement needed in the area previosuly mentioned.

• Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
“Authentic British pub”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Feeling homesick, then this does the trick! Good selection of beers and good pub grub. The Big Ben burger is a challenge!

Visited December 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Old Pub in the Old Town...”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

If you're looking for a traditional old British pub in Zürich, then this is definitely it. Low ceilings, dark wood, booths, old carpets and a slightly stuffy and stale odour. Oliver's Twist has it all and in bucket loads. There's nothing special about this place, it's just an old school pub and that's why I love it. Furthermore, unlike other places in Zürich, it is open on Sundays.

It has changed hands a couple of times but I believe it's back in the hands of a Brit. Nice.

I've never tried the food but to be honest I do not expect much from it as the bartenders double as cooks, how good can the food be?? You will get usual pub grub. Don't expect gastro pub dining.

If you're in Niederdorf, stop by for a pint and to watch a game of rugby or footie.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Smoke_Trees
Oak Park, Illinois
“A bit of England in Old Town”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just went here for a drink and enjoyed the convivial atmosphere and bright decor. Very British pub in every way. We were there on a Thursday night and it was crowded, obviously popular with the expat crowd! Food looked like standard pub fare and burgers which I do not enjoy so I can't comment on the menu or food quality. Beer selections were extensive enough to satisfy most beer drinkers and the house wine offerings were better than I expected given it is a beer pub.

• Visited November 2012
Bern, Switzerland
“Not bad at all!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Having lived in and visited England, I'd say that this place is a totally acceptable slice of English culture in Zürich. Sure, it's not as spick-and-span (nor as elite) as the James Joyce, not as huge, gloomy and industrial as the Nelson's, and certainly not as kitsch and loud as the Lady Hamilton's. It's got the TV screens playing rugby/football, it's got the stained carpet and dark wooden chairs, the sticky tables and bar-top, the flags on the walls and the loud, drunk Anglo expats. What's not to like? The food is good (the burgers are outstanding), the beer selection is as expected, and its got that well-used yet comforting feeling of being in a familiar drinking hole. Best visited on a foggy, rainy late autumn evening.

• Visited November 2011