“Cheap room, you get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Krone

and 1 more site!
Hostel Krone
Ranked #34 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Zurich
New York
“Cheap room, you get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2005

I stayed at the Krone Limmatquai for one night in January 2005. I chose it because it was the cheapest room I could find, and it is in downtown Zurich. The location was great, close to everything you'll need. If you are fussy at all, like me, I would suggest paying more money and being in a decent hotel. The room was tiny and kind of smelled funny. Also, there was only down pillows and blankets, which I am allergic to, when I told the front desk, they seemed to have no clue what I was talking about. I speak passable German and explained myself that way only to recive a blank stare. They told me to come back later and tell them. I did when I got back that evening only to hear that housekeeping already left and I could not be helped.

That and public bathrooms encouraged me to check in to a more expensive hotel a few blocks away. I had a restful night there.

• Stayed January 2005
1 Thank dsmsw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Albany, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

I stayed at Hotel Krone (Limmatquai 88) in Zurich from August 16-18, 2005. The room was very basic and small, with toilet down the hall and shared shower on the second floor. The room was acceptable until bedbugs* attacked me around 4:00 AM during my second night there. I found and killed about 7 bedbugs* in the bed quilt and sheets. I assume some escaped and are waiting there to crawl over you and start biting you like they did to me. When I told the hotel manager about this, he said "I'm sorry", but he didn't seem entirely to believe me, even though I showed him the remains of one bedbug on the bed quilt. He refused to reduce the price to compensate for this service failure. VISA credit card also would not reduce the hotel's charge since I did not leave the hotel in the middle of the night when this problem occured. This is the first time I have ever encountered bedbugs in all my years of traveling, and the last time I will stay at Hotel Krone.

* Deutsch- Wanzen; Esp.- chinches; Fran.- punaises; Ital.- cimici; Dutch- beddewantsen; Portug.- percevejos; Russian- клопы.
Bedbugs feed on human and other animals' blood.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank bobredpen51

Travelers are raving about these Zurich hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2005

Clean, quiet and friendly. Stayed in a single room on my last visit to Zurich (Feb/05). Would definitely recommend!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2004

Stayed at the Hotel Krone from August 27-29, 2004. It's a short walk from the train station, right on the Limmat River. Great location with lots of shops, bars, and restaurants nearby, and easy access to all the sights. But I picked it because it was the cheapest room I could find in downtown Zurich. The description said check-in started at 2pm but I was able to check in at 10am (which was nice because I was arriving on an overnight flight from the US). I think the front desk was staffed until 11pm. The staff was very nice, all spoke at least some English.

I stayed in a single room with just a washbasin, the toilet was down the hall and the shower was one floor below. Separate commodes for men and women but the showers were unisex (with individual locking doors outside small changing areas). The showers/changing areas were VERY cramped--I had to open the shower door to wash my feet--but all of the common areas were kept clean. The room was clean but basic, mattress was firm but plenty big for my 6'2" frame. No AC but a big window provided a nice breeze, and I didn't see a single insect. It was noisy the first two nights I was there because there was a street festival going on outside, but it was quiet by 11 or 11:30pm.

There was a strange key system where you exchanged your room key for an outside key every time you arrived/departed, but no big deal. Breakfast was Ch5 extra per night and was typical continental fare, with decent croissants and fresh coffee. I was out sightseeing most of the day and did not eat at the hotel restaurant. I looked into one of the larger rooms on my way out one morning and it looked like it had two decent sized beds and a bathroom with toilet and shower.

Summary: not a bad choice if you aren't too fussy and you want to save some money.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member