Hotel Helmhaus does not announce itself so loudly as some of the other Zurich hotels and I didn't mind that once I'd found it. It stands a block back from the Limmatquai and fronts on to a cobblestone lane with a fairly narrow frontage and understated signage. The reception area is not large but the welcome definitely is. There are a couple of easy chairs and a coffee machine constantly available. Check-in was both efficient and friendly. And here I have to give huge compliments to the reception staff who did a great job consistently. Special thanks are reserved for Mario (hope the spelling is right) - I don't usually single out staff but he was outstanding - friendly and willing and able to help with any request. It was a real pleasure talking with him.
You can book Swiss tours at reception and get tram tickets too which you just have to validate at each tram stop. Useful extra service.
Our two rooms were on the top two floors with views round the corner of the building opposite giving partial views of the bridge and Zurichsee beyond. Everything you would want was there and the beds and furniture were modern but comfortable. The décor was also modern and bright. The only issue we had was the size of the bathroom which included a tiny shower closet with a sloping ceiling which I struggled to fit myself under (at 6' 6" tall!). I was kindly offered a couple of other rooms which I viewed but I decided that the window views were worth the relative and short-lived inconvenience of a small bathroom.
The hotel has a breakfast restaurant and small seating area on the first floor. Breakfast was well up to normal continental standard with provided scrambled eggs, delicious bacon and small sausages - with the offer of freshly cooked eggs as well. Wide selection of juices. Again a light right area. The different serving ladies were all efficient and friendly. I always look forward to good breakfast experiences and this did not disappoint!
The hotel's location is almost perfect being no more than 15 minutes' walk from all the major sights on both sides of the Limmat and from the Hauptbahnhof and the shipping terminal for lake trips. (PS. try a trip to Rapperswill - either by boat both ways if you want to chill a bit (literally and figuratively!) or return by train - definitely worth 2 or 3 hours walking about there). Luzern is just 45 minutes by train - another day trip worth doing.
So, thanks to the management and staff at HH (special hi to Mario) for a thoroughly excellent and enjoyable stay. My wife is normally a fussy traveller but both she and I have agreed we'd love to return some day before too long! Can't recommend it higher than that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Look forward to Zurich’s smallest and most centrally located hotel. Each of our 24 rooms has just recently been completely renovated. A high quality design interior, comfortable bathrooms in warm colours, an individually adjustable air condition system for the summer time and new sound-proof windows promise a relaxing sleep.At the Hotel Helmhaus history and modern comfort connect in a remarkable way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Helmhaus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helmhaus Swiss Quality zürich
- Hotel Helmhaus Swiss Quality