WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Helmhaus

Hotel Helmhaus
Ranked #10 of 134 Hotels in Zurich
Tbilisi, Georgia
“Small hotel with great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hotel Helmhaus in Zurich has a perfect location, just a walking distance from the major highlights of the city.
The staff is very friendly, be sure you'll be offered a welcome drink upon your check - in.
The rooms are not very big, but clean. The brekfast is decent.
That's not a luxuary hotel, but a very cozy and friendly hotel.
I would recomment it with pleasures to the travellers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Grüezi Flower53_10

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to comment your visit. It is a pleasure to know that you valued the friendliness of our team members as well as the cleanliness of our rooms. With our efforts to maintain the charm of our historical building, combined with the high class personal service of our team and the modern comfort of a boutique hotel we do not aim at being a luxury hotel but being a place where our guests can feel „home away from home“ in a cozy surrounding.

Thank you for recommending us. We wish you all the best.

Your Helmhaus Management Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is located close to the Grossmunster, which is accessible directly via tram No. 4 from Zurich HB. The room was not too large, but very clean and comfortable. The staffs were friendly. We had to leave before the breakfast time, but they provided us with light meal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Grüezi Kaminaga

Thank you for having been our guests recently. It is nice to know that besides the friendliness of our team and the comfort of our rooms you also appreciated the little Helmhaus Breakfast which we do offer our guests who have to depart before the official breakfast time. This service we do provide since we understand how uncomfortable it can be departing with an empty stomach for a long flight or a business meeting.
This is one of our efforts of delivering quality not quantity.

We wish you all the best. Your Helmhaus Management Team.
Rabat, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I sepent two nights at the Helmhaus. We found the hotel to be very central, close to the night life area and shopping centre accross the Limat. The staff at the reception were very nice offering us a welocme drink on arrival. Our room was upgraded, which we found very spacious on the fifth floor, clean and nicely laid out with modern furnishings. Although check out time was 12.00 hrs we were allowed to keep the room a few hours extra as the next booking was checking in later.
We will definitely return on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Grüezi THOSVAD

Thank you for having been guests to our centrally located historical yet modern Hotel Helmhaus. It is always a pleasure to give a little extra comfort where possible so our guests can feel „home away from home“ in our recently renovated hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future, and we wish you all the best.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

A small 30 room hotel right on the river in the old Zurich. No bar or restaurant but plenty nearby. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms comfortable. Free wifi. But the best is location, location! Would definitely recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Grüezi Tulloch1

Thank you for having been our guest. I am delighted to read that you appreciated all our little historical yet modern hotel has to offer its guests, i.e. newly refurbished rooms, a rich Swiss breakfast buffet, free wifi internet and an excellent location in the heart of Oldtown Zurich.

Thank you for recommending us, and we would also look forward to welcoming you yourself again in the future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

What an excellent find. In a refurbished older building you'll find a boutique-style hotel boasting a stylish fitout with quality furnishings. An ideal central location, excellent if rather small Swiss breakfast and helpful, knowledgeable staff make this a welcoming place. Restaurants, transport options and attractions abound outside the door.

First night was so good we decided to stay a second, which required a change of rooms due to a previous booking.

The only reason there isn't 5 stars was the A/C didn't work in our room on our second stay, requiring us to open the window for ventilation to the noise on a busy, warm weekend night at the restaurants below. As with everything in Zurich, indeed Switzerland, prices are comparatively steep. However from where we booked Hotel Helmhaus was much better value than elsewhere, especially considering the character embedded compared to a standard large hotel.

Oh and parking...there isn't any. After all, you're in the centre of town!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grüezi PeaJayOe

Thank for having been our guests recently. I am pleased to know that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the boutique-design interior of our hotel and its surroundings.
I regret to hear that you experienced troubles with the air condition in your room during the second night of your stay. That you still highly valued your stay and the quality of everything else our hotel had to offer you is nice to hear.

We wish you all the best, and look forward to welcoming you again in the future - maybe during the colder Christmas time when Zurich is beautifully illuminated with thousands of Christmas lights.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I visited Zurich a couple of months ago and stayed in Hotel Helmhaus for 3 nights over the weekend. In general, I had a great time in Zurich. Hotel Helmhaus is centrally located in Old Town Zurich very close to Fraumunster and Graumunster (2 must see Churches). The shell of Hotel Helmhaus s a historical building which has been remodeled and modernized to meet current standards. The hotel has 5 or 6 floors including a basement. My entire take on the hotel after staying here over a weekend is that, it clearly excels in certain areas, but it has major issues that need to be addressed in others.

Let me go through the good things first. The hotel is in a good location, and is close to everything. People in reception are friendly (not just a little friendly, EXTREMELY friendly). The continental breakfast was great and included a wide selection of juices, pastries and cheeses. The hotel staff also accommodated me and let me check in early at the front desk because flight arrived early morning into Zurich from Dubai. I very much appreciated this because I was extremely tired, jet lagged and ready to pass out by the time I arrived at the hotel.

When I first arrived at the hotel, tired, jet lagged and ready to pass out from exhaustion, after I checked in at reception I made my way up to my room. The guy at reception offered to take my luggage up to my room which I gladly obliged as I was very short on energy at the time. Good thing too as the elevators in this hotel are very small and can barely fit two people at one time. So my luggage and I would have been a very tight fit if I had gone that route.

The first thing I did right when I entered my room and received my luggage in my room, I took off my shoes and crashed on my bed (almost). I was ready to fall asleep, but me being the germaphobe that I am decided to take a closer look at my bed sheets before I hopped into bed. From far away the bed sheets smelled fresh so I wasn't expecting to find much. I was dead wrong.

When I examined the bed sheets, comforter and pillow covers closely, they had hair all over them! I got instantly grossed out! I showed house keeping my sheets and they seemed as amazed as I was and offered to change the bed sheets, comforter and pillow covers. To make a long story short, they changed the bed sheets but still couldn't get me clean bed sheets without hair on them. After the 2nd time I complained in 10 minutes, I wasn't going to be happy with just a simple changing of the bed sheets. I asked them to take me into the room where they wash the sheets and show me that they are actually washing them. Surprisingly they were alright with that and washed my sheets in front of my eyes.

Did that take care of the problem? You would think so, HOWEVER, the bed sheets still had hair on them! IN FACT, ALL the bed sheets in the entire laundry room had hair on them! So the only logical conclusion that I could reach after this was that the washing machine was broken and wasn't picking up the hair off the sheets properly. At that point I was too tired to argue any more so I just accepted the fact that I would sleep in bedding with hair on it. What can you do...?

So has the hotel fixed the washing machine or even done anything about it? I can't say, however if they had even a little bit of sense (since it's been 5 months) they would replace the washing machine and dryer immediately. On top of that the only other thing I disliked about the hotel was that the walls of the building were paper thin! I could hear everything in the hallway as well in the neighboring rooms. So, I'm pretty sure everyone in the neighboring rooms could hear everything in my room as well.

In general, like I stated above, even though the hotel excelled in certain areas, it still needs some major work in others. I would've given this hotel a better rating (3 or 4 stars) if I didn't have to sleep with someone else's hair on my bed. Also, the hotel can make guests' stays more comfortable by adding some soundproofing to the walls.

Room Tip: Check bed sheets for hair!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SaadQ
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Grüezi SaadQ

Thank you for having been our guest and for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay with us.
I regret to read that your stay was not as comfortbale as you had anticipated. Although many of our guests value the cleanliness of our rooms and its furnishings above many other things we will take a closer look into the matter of your dissatisfaction with our bed linen since we know that this is an important issue for everyone.
I am sorry that you heard other guests in the rooms next to yours, as you had the feeling of being heard in your room by others. Since our hotel is an old historical building, dating back to middle of the 14th Century, we are bound to special tight regulations of the City of Zurich when it comes to constructional modifications of the buildings interior. So we are sometimes not allowed to be as free in our wish to modify the building’s interior as other modern hotels are. But we think that makes the charme of your little hotel where the history of the structure meets with the modern comfort of its facilities.

I hope those information were any clarifying, and we wish you all the best.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Hotel Helmhaus is in an excellent location and the staff are both friendly and professional. The room was small but very well apportioned and perfectly maintained. The area surrounding the hotel is the best part of Zurich, on the water with many excellent restaurants and nightlife venues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Grüezi DHC77005

Thank you for your recent stay with us. In its existence of almost 700 years our hotel has been part of a lively area of Zurich: business as well as nightlife. The last major renovation was conducted between 2007 and 2012, and it is nice to read that you appreciated our efforts in providing a perfectly maintained surrounding to our guests so they can have relaxed and enjoyable stays with us.

We wish you all the best. Your Helmhaus Management Team.