“Just what we were looking for.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Josef

You added Hotel St. Josef to your Saves list
Hotel St. Josef
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hirschengraben 64-68, Zurich 8001, Switzerland (Hochschulen)   |
Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Zurich
Brisbane, Australia
“Just what we were looking for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We used this Hotel as an overnighter before leaving Switzerland by plane. It was exactly what we needed. It was about a 10 minute walk from the train station and right in the old town. We were well looked after by the staff on arrival who took us to our room and gave us a map with an excellent walking tour of the Old Town on it. The room was clean, quiet, modern and comfortable. Due to the rain we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant that night and enjoyed our meals which were in sizzling metal pans.

Room Tip: There are two buildings with a courtyard between them. We were in the second with a room at the back...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I booked all my hotels using trip advisor reviews, so I thought its only fair that I "pay it forward" :)

We stayed at Hotel St Josef and absolutely loved everything about it!! The location was absolutely perfect. Right by the old town and close to the train station.
The people were incredibly helpful and friendly. Maria always had a smile on her face and was happy to help where ever she could (we were often asking for assitance with the trams, directions etc). The room had everything we needed and was clean and spacious.

We loved Zurich and loved staying here. If we come back we will definitely stay at hotel St. Joseph :)

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jenlizbird
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had scheduled only one night in Zurich and we had been recommended by friends to stay in this hotel and it did not disappoint. The location is great - just a 7-10 minute walk from Zurich train station. Our room was big, clean and modern with a big bathroom. The breakfast is included in the room rate and was delicious! Thanks to the recommendations of the fantastic reception staff, we made the most of our 24 hours in Zurich. We ate at a restaurant serving traditional Swiss food (the weinerschnitzel and potato salad were sensational!) and caught a train up to the top of he mountain overlooking Zurich - the views were truly breathtaking (although views everywhere in Switzerland seem to be breathtaking!). Our room was on the top floor and unfortunately we were there in the middle of a heat wave (33C degrees - who would've thought Switzerland would get so hot!) so it was hot and there was no air conditioning, but we were able to open up the windows to let the cool breeze in at night. There were also two fans to cool us down (I suspect there would usually be no need for air conditioners for most if the time in Switzerland). We wished we had spent more time in Zurich - it is a beautiful city. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trishwarrandyte2015
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I spent 3 nights in a double for single use at the Hotel St. Josef during June, and I thought it was a great option – it was in a great location and had lots of much appreciated amenities at a more affordable rate than most Zurich hotels.

The hotel is very well located: It is about a 10-minute walk to Zurich’s main train station (maybe a bit more if you are wheeling a suitcase, as it is a bit uphill). In addition, many tram lines stop between the hotel and train station. And the hotel is just a short walk (maybe 10 mintues) to some interesting neighborhoods with lots of cafes and restaurants and not much more than that to Zurich’s heart. As others have noted, there is a ramp you can use to get to the street on which the hotel is located. Once at the hotel, you may face just a few steps to reach an elevator (at least that was the case in the hotel’s annex, in which I was located). I thought the street had a pleasant residential feel to it, even though it was so close to transportation centers and many of Zurich’s major sites.

I was very favorably impressed with the services and amenities of this three-star hotel. For example, the room had an electric kettle and tray of supplies; there was a water cooler just outside the elevator on each floor; the annex had a washer and drier, complete with laundry detergent; there was plenty of shelf and counter space in both my bedroom and my bathroom (and of course plenty of hot water at good pressure); staff were consistently helpful; and the breakfast buffet included a nice array of very tasty foods. The breakfast room was cheerful, and in good weather, tables are available on a terrace between the hotel and the annex. BTW, the shower nozzle in my room was set to pulse; I didn’t see a way to change it. I was happy with it, but mention it in case it matters to you.

The room in which I stayed did not have air-conditioning, and unfortunately, I was in Zurich during an unusually warm period. There was an efficient rotating fan in my room. Too, my room was in a corner and so had good cross-ventilation. I don’t know if other rooms have air-conditioning or not, so if it matters to you, check!

Hotels in Zurich are not inexpensive; the Hotel St. Josef was more affordable than most.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KJA3
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was impressed from the moment I entered the reception area of this lovely, small hotel. The girl on reception was so welcoming and showed me to my room which was in a different building to the reception.
The room was more of a suite than a room with all the essentials you would expect and more, including a small fan as it was so hot when I arrived. Free Internet access was included. Breakfast was also included and there was a good selection.
Again the staff at reception could not have been more helpful even advising I catch the tram to the airport to save money rather than use the shuttle service they offer.
Location is perfect for a visitor to Zurich too. It is just on the edge of the old town with some lovely walks and there are plentiful restaurants within easy reach too. The airport is a 30min tram ride away and the railway station is a 10minute walk.
Just a couple of points to note which visitors should be aware of : a) If arriving by train with heavy bags and walking to the hotel be aware there are quite a few steps up to the hotel road. There is a slope which is easier if you follow the wall further along. b) be aware that there is a street down to the main restaurant street opposite the hotel which is frequented by ladies of the night from the evening on. You can avoid the street easily should you want, just take the next one along, and they are easily spotted although not pushy. I was a man on my own and apart from a "good evening" and a wink that was all that was offered.
To summarise if I return to Zurich I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and you like the window open I would ask for a room at the back. I was in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

True to what everyone says, Switzerland is expensive. Zurich is no exception. When deciding on where to stay for our one night in Zurich we opted to "slum it" in a 3 star hotel due to the costs involved staying somewhere premium. We chose the Junior Suite at the Hotel St Josef based on TripAdvisor reviews and its close proximity to the main train station. We were not disappointed. The room was a great size, with a small balcony to enjoy the outdoors. The welcome at reception was very warm and were personally shown to our rooms. The free breakfast in the morning adequate. The Wi-Fi was excellent.

The only negative we could possibly say is that everything about the room felt 3-star. The decor was a little plain. The couch was comfortable but not fall asleep comfortable. The bed too was not perfect but still managed a decent enough sleep. To be fair to St Josef, we had just come from a 5-star stay in Munich. In saying that though, our 3-star stay in Paris was more comfortably furnished.

As we weren't prepared to pay through the roof for somewhere fancier for our one night stay in Zurich, all in all we checked-out satisfied with our stay at Hotel St Josef.

Overall - 4

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DinkyDiDinks
Rambouillet, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Hotel St Josef. The hotel is very well located, close to the Zurich ETH (University) and hospital and very close to the historical and touristic area of Zurich. The access by tramway from the Zurich Airport is easy (5 minute walk from the stop).
The welcome is warm and kind. My room was nice, large enough with a good and free wireless access. One drawback: no air conditioning. The weather was superb during my stay in Zurich, with temperature > 30 °C. The fans in the room were not sufficient, and it was the opportunity to sleep with all the windows open!
Good breakfast, on the terrace.
All together, a good 3 stars hotel, but expensive as always in Zurich