“Great Location, Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel City Zurich

Hotel City Zurich
Ranked #63 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is located about 5 blocks from the main train station, so all of the things we wanted to see and do in Zurich were within walking distance. And there was a large grocery store within a block of the hotel.

I had a single room, which was a nice size, and it overloooked a beautiful patio, where my travel partners and I had a picnic supper one evening. The hotel had air conditioning which worked well.

Hotel staff was very gracious in answering questions.

Breakfast was very good.

The hotel provided a computer for guest use, and it worked well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank zoe17

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Conveniently located with respect to the train station, a 10 minute walk from the pedestrian old town. This means that the hotel is relatively quiet as compared to those along the busier pedestrian streets, but the restaurant options right around it are more limited. The walks to the other side of the river or to the tram or train station are all extremely convenient, however. The wifi is faster than my cable at home. The room sizes vary tremendously. I had a business single which was large, especially for a European hotel room, and comes with a sizable bathroom + bathtub; the standard single on the other hand is quite small, including a tiny shower stall. I don't know if they've renovated recently but in contrast to other reviews, my room had very effective A/C. There is a nice terrace on the top floor, a convenient meeting room, and a tasty breakfast. Very clean, friendly and helpful English-speaking staff. All in all, great value, especially for Zurich.

Room Tip: Anything bigger than the smallest single = bathtub and comfortable room size, even by non-European s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank clegoues
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed there for seven nights. My room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. They provide free wireless internet of reasonable speed and free papers. The location is very central, 2 minutes walk to a tram/bus stop for about 5 different lines and about 10 minutes walk to the central station. Everybody was very friendly and professional.

My only minor gripe is about the breakfast. There was almost no meat/ham, but apparently this is not uncommon in Switzerland. The croissants, rolls, etc were certainly excellent and made up for it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank larsko
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My review of City Hotel, Zurich, is based on a long weekend stay for pleasure, rather than business. I'll keep it in categories for ease of reference.

Location: superb. Located minutes walking distance away from the main train station (Zurich HB) and all main tourist attractions are in easy walking distance or can be reached by tram - also within easy walking distance. One downside is that the hotel itself is located on a busy street so weekend nights can be noisy.

Comfort: not very good, I'm afraid. My biggest problem was being placed in a smoking room despite requesting (in my very early booking) a non-smoking room. When I asked why I wasn't accommodated, I was told it's not guaranteed. If that's the case, it should be in the terms and conditions AND I should be advised so I can make other arrangements. As it was, they couldn't change rooms for me until night two so I had a very poor night's sleep. This whole hotel also has no air conditioning so the tiny lift feels like a sauna and the hotel/rooms are stifling. The bathroom is minuscule with a shower cubicle fit for a Liliputian. The bed is only okay but I have a bad back so I can't judge it for sure. Walls are also paper thin. I can hear next door cough.

Service: mixed. I get a strong sense of efficiency but not really friendliness, perse. They definitely weren't rude, but they also didn't shine. My room change request was met first with an incredulous laugh then a sullen fulfilment of the request.

Cleanliness: as far as the room itself - good. The smoke smell? Not good.

Value: I guess CHF390 is value for three nights when you consider it's Switzerland but for this hotel? Not so much. I can't imagine what business travellers think of the standard.

Bonuses: free Wifi and free breakfast, which is satisfactory.

Summary: if I return to Zurich, I'll be choosing a different hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Krinkles28
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed there one night due to a problem with the swiss railway (room was paid by SBB), i would probably have picked something nicer for myself, but it did the job for a few hours of sleep. Otherwise, it is not a really a "tourist-friendly hotel".
What i really dislike was the smell of smoke. It was really strong. I was too tired to ask for another room due to the fact it was so late. In case it was indeed a smoking-room, the receptionist should ask first. Otherwise, the cleaning service should not rent out a room before the smell is gone,

On the plus side:
Location is excellent, walking distance from the main station, and staff was really friendly (although i checked in at 2am). Wifi is free. Amenities are ok, apart from the dreadful smell, it was clean and relatively modern.

On the negative side (apart from the smell)
The single room is more like a cabin-hotel room, so small and the linen are really average quality. There is no A/C in the room, only a big fan that looks right from the 80s.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Karl P
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Coneveint stay
-closed to main station which means you can go anyway in Switzerland.
-friendly staff
-very clean
-closed to major attractions.
-recomend to see more reviews in booking.com (Hotel City Zürich-same hotel).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SamTang
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The reason why we choose this hotel for an overnight stay in Zurich was the location, close to the train station since we had to catch a train the next morning at 7 AM.
Rooms are spacious and very well equipped, even though the deco is a bit retro.
Very nice bathroom, one of the best in hotels of this category I ever saw.
Wonderful breakfast in the swiss tradition.
However, compared to other similar hotels in Zurich with more or less similar prices, the City Hotel lacks in character and is a bit aseptic. Therefore, I would certainly suggest it for business people that need good facilities (including good internet connection) and a central location close to the Bahnhofstrasse, but surely not to a tourist that comes to visit Zurich: the Altstadt (old town) offers more appealing opportunities in a better position to discover the little alleys impregnated of history along the two sides of the Limmat river.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple