“Truly excellent”

Ranked #9 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Moscow, Russia
“Truly excellent”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Excellent classic hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, complimentary drink during check-in and bottle of water during check-out (lady at reception offered me help with buying ticket to the train even), location can't be more perfect - the hotel places literally 1 minute away from central railway station, ~10 minutes of train ride and you're in Zurich airport. My room was on the second floor with window looking at street and tram stop, but I haven't heard a thing (which is my recurring problem with some hotels in Helsinki), so one shouldn't be afraid that trams or trains will bother ya, they won't. Rooms are perfectly equipped, over 120 TV channels (in many-many languages + radio), free tea and coffee, excellent WiFi etc. etc. etc., I would give 10 out of 10, but there was some strange experience, too.

Before my arrival I've asked via e-mail if I will need adaptor for Swiss sockets and not only I got quick reply, but adaptor was awaiting for me in the room. But: a) it wasn't working (maybe I did something wrong, although I work in electric business and deal with more tricky things than simple adaptor) b) the next morning (and by 'the next morning' I mean 9 hours after my arrival) housemaid took it away causing me to be a little bit confused (during check-out the reception staff was confused as well, since I couldn't give 'em back the device). Complimentary fruits were gone too. I am not sure if I was supposed to eat them all immediately or maybe it was done with some purpose. I've tried to speak to housemaid about both of these matters, but she didn't speak English at all (the other ones who I've dealt with spoke very good English, much better than mine, for sure). Unfortunately the next day almost the same thing happened - after cleaning the room all papers which I left on the table were gone, including copy of my insurance (which I always leave in hotels on the case of emergency), my personal notes written on hotel's notebook, city guide, newspaper and railway timetable. Well, maybe there are some requirements for staff about what to do during cleaning process, but I just hope they'll correct it a little bit. What's on the table - stays on the table till a guest leaves the hotel. If I wanted to threw away my newspaper or timetable - I would've put it in the bin. I know there's a safe, but closing railway timetable in safe is something that I would never think about before. Aside that, no problems at all and if there was any - they've been solved ASAP.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Sergey R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were travelling form UK to Venice by train, so the location, directly opposite the railway station was spot on. Checking in was a delight with a drink offered and gladly accepted. Room and beds were comfortable well appointed and had tea and coffee facilities. Chocolate and fruit was in the room. We decided to dine in the restaurant which was quite expensive but a very superior experience. The food and service was wonderful and my wife even had a stool to place her handbag on.

The Butler calling just before bedtime with a trolley full of chocolate was the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: Our room was very good and overlooked the tram and train station so could be a bit of noise but we d...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1bursledon
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just a wonderful place to stay. Reception has a bit of a weird vibe but the location is fantastic. The rooms are a bit small and the interior room windows open to a strange interior courtyard but if you are in Zurich you will probably spend more time looking at the lakes and mountains rather than staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: People smoke like crazy here so try to stay upwind otherwise you will feel like a chimney
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was looking for a hotel close to the railway station and with a number of hotels in the vicinity with good reviews, the clincher was that all you have to do is email the concierge to request for a hotel porter to assist with luggage at the railway platform When we arrived by train from Geneva, it was a relief to see the porter in the hotel's "signature" red coat.
When we arrived at the hotel reception, we were pleasantly surprised to know that we had been upgraded to a corner room which is more spacious than our booked deluxe room. Hot towel and cold orange juice completed the check-in formalities.
The breakfast in the first-floor restaurant is great and inclusive of cooked egg items.
As our departure flight was to be in the later afternoon, the hotel concierge very kindly assisted to arrange a later check-out at 2pm instead of the usual 12 noon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston Ma
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have stayed here before, and I love it. The customer service is wonderful and the location is very good. The beds are quite comfortable and the showers are good too. Would stay again, and bring my family.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank emergencygetaway
Alexandria
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on several business trips. I was always very pleased with the quality of the service, the cleanliness of the room and the courtesy of the staff. The location, right across the street from the main train station, and on Bahnhofstrasse, is excellent. The proximity to shopping, dining and transportation is a plus. Also, the concierge staff, especially Andre, was very helpful when I needed recommendations for local wines and dining.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor (recently renovated) are superb.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ScottandRobin
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Arrived straight there from the SFO-Zurich flight. Very convenient and welcoming. Love the location up at the top of the Bahnhofstrasse, near a big Globus super store and all of the global brand stores' Zurich outlets. 10 minute walk to old town and sites along the river. If you are travelling through Z by train, this location cannot be beat. But not near the lake. It's an elegant, refined but intimate style business hotel. Single rooms are on the small side but very pleasant with high ceilings and great details/amenities. One of our group of three was in a room on a light shaft that was not great. Otherwise very comfortable rooms. The highlight for me was the breakfast room -- Better than average breakfast spread, German-style so lots of choices of sweet and savory, and best herbal tea I've ever had, all in a very bright and elegant room -- just what a West Coast US traveller needs that first morning. We did not go to the high-end restaurant for dinner, but it is very highly regarded if a bit pricey but a very credible option for late arrivals. I would stay here again, mostly for the comfortable retreat in a very exciting location.

Room Tip: The light shaft room was a bit bleak, so I'd request and outward facing room on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business