New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich

Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Zurich
United States
“5 star service at a four star hotel - Very impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was recently in Switzerland on holiday and chose this hotel for part of my trip. The service in this hotel is phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal. In fact, it is as good or in most cases better than any five star hotel I have stayed in around the world.

Check In - When I arrived, I was provided with a warm towel and a bottle of water. The gentleman who checked me in was very friendly, professional and efficient. He provided me with a map of the city and also answered my questions regarding day trips. I am bad with names but I believe he said he was from Indonesia.

Housekeeping - I called Housekeeping for a couple more hangars and an iron and they were delivered within 3 minutes. When the gentleman arrived he even offered to set up the ironing board, fill the iron with water, etc. Very impressive. Housekeeping kept my room very clean.

Turn Down Service - I happened to be in my room one night when the nice lady (originally from Sri Lanka) came to provide turn down service. I asked her questions about Switzerland and she took the time to visit with me. I really appreciated this. Once again, very impressed with the service.

Breakfast - Breakfast was very good and the entire staff was friendly, professional and efficient. The mature gentleman who I think was probably in charge was really making sure everyone was attended to. Coffee was brought to the table within one minute of sitting down. I recommend the Eggs Benedict. Once again, top notch service.

Fruit Basket - I have been in hotels where you might receive a fruit basket on the first night but never EVERY NIGHT. This was big surprise. Plus, there was chocolate in the basket which was very nice.

Shoe Shine - Left my shoes in the shoe bag on the door knob overnight and in the morning they had been polished. Free of charge. This was a nice surprise also.

Room - I had the larger single room and it was plenty spacious. It never felt cramped. I liked that there was complimentary water left in the room every night. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice.

Butler Service - Every night a butler travels the hotel with a trolley of complimentary candy, yogurt, etc. I was out of the hotel most evenings sightseeing so was only able to enjoy this one night. Very unique idea.

Wake up Call - I set my wake up call on my last night so I could make it to the airport. It kept going off but I didn't think anything of it. I just kept putting the receiver down. I was up and about getting ready. Next thing I know there is someone knocking at my door because he was afraid I overslept. Impressive.

Location - Right across from the train station so very convenient. Don't worry, about the location. The train station in Zurich is not like other major train stations in Europe. It is extremely clean and safe. This hotel is also right at the top of Zurich's exclusive shopping street.

To top things off, I received a discount for booking the rooms on line with the hotel. That was a nice surprise when I checked out. Upon leaving the hotel, I was provided water and chocolate. I could go on and on about this hotel. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it. This hotel is on the more expensive side but it is worth very penny (franc). They cannot do enough to make sure your stay is pleasant. That is what staying in a nice hotel is all about. Good job to all. Everyone I encountered (bell hops, housekeeping, doorman), etc. all were pleasant.

Tip: There is a grocery store (Coop) right near the hotel. This was convenient for buying some last minute souvenirs, chocolate, wine, water, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Europabound

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed for one night for business meetings.
Nice hotel, perfect location just across the railway station.
Room are clean but small.
The bed and pillows were of good quality and comfortable.
The reception and the breakfast service is truly exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zur2013
Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service. Friendly and efficient and does not feel "forced" or faked as in so many hotels. And this stands for everybody we came across. The reception and the breakfast service is truly exceptional pleasant/friendly / efficient.
The small touches like: fruit everywhere; the trolley round in the evenings ( so unexpected!) ; the variety, and quality of the breakfast buffet ( puts the Savoy to shame, truly!).René ( at breakfast) is simply one in a million.
Excellent wifi! excellent toiletries ; a decent shower; good bed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Concordia100
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich on a family holiday in Zurich. The location makes it just so easy to goto the Railway Station which is bang opposite the Hotel. The Main Bus Stand is just 2 tram stops away. Indian Restaurants are just 2-3 Tram stops away.

Excellant Breakfast having your Choice of Hot Egg, Hot Chocolate, Buns, Cereals etc!!
Courteous Smiling Staff !!

A Must Stay !

Room Tip: A Hotel Room facing the HB Railway Station is highly Recommended to see the hustle bustle of this Eu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gaureshmehra
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed there with friends for six days before joining a tour. We arrived by train so the location was excellent - just across the road. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them to make our stay memorable and wonderful. We felt that we were treated like royalty. Our room was comfortable, very clean and serviced daily. The bed and pillows were of good quality and comfortable. We dined at both the Cafe Gourmet and the Restaurant La Soupiere and found the food to be of high quality with such wonderful service. Breakfast was so good and we looked forward to it each day. We couldn't help but have some kind of dessert or pastry at the end of our breakfast. It was too good to pass up. Loved the man with the chocolate trolly each day - complimentary. Would go back at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: We received an upgrade. Our room was near the courtyard and was very quiet however there was no vie...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I arrived on a Saturday am for the Zurich Parade very jetlagged. I was extremely happy the staff were able to accomadate an early check in. Room itself was clean and similar to that of a Sheraton in the USA. At night room was quiet and good for resting after my long day. The most refreshing thing that really stood out was the friendliness of the staff and their great service throughout my stay. I have no clue the cost of my room for I was there on business but would stay there again when visiting Zurich.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank topserviceFlorida
Scarborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed there recently after a night on the town. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
The room I stayed in seemed a little old fashioned and I was surprised to see, that they still use real keys.
The whole place seemed very clean and there were nice little details in terms of customer satisfaction (i.e. free apples in front of the elevator, a little bag with assorted chocolates upon departure etc.). The hotel is located centrally and I would certainly recommend it to anyone traveling to Zurich.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo