“I Understand Why It's #1”

Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
Ranked #9 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I get why Schweizerhof-Zurich is #1 on this website. Based largely on TripAdvisor reviews, I just stayed at Schweizerhof for 4 days, while visiting Zurich first for a short conference and then for 3 days of holiday. All the upbeat reviews I read turned out to be accurate: the location is terrific, the staff attitude and friendliness are marvelous; the breakfast buffet is first class (mounds of smoked salmon, omelettes to order and endless champagne) and the rooms are well-furnished and elegant (if small by U.S., but not European, standards). I even found the price a decent value -- given the soaring Swiss franc and in comparison to other Zurich hotels.

I took a peek at some of the competition. The Baur au Lac is in a different class and, if you're a tourist, at the wrong end of Bahnhof Strasse. The Dolder Grand is on the edge of town.

Given my delight with the Schweizerhof and its great location and service, I know I will return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Roll your luggage across the street to a old-fashioned great service hotel. The rooms are well appointed and very quiet with two door insulation. You can take the train from the airport much quicker and cheaper than a taxi and be in a lovely room within an hour. The included breakfast buffet is very adequate with the best pot of hot tea I have had.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Class4
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Hotel Staff are truly warm welcome and friendly and eager always to answer and resolve your quiries from the time you check in to check out untired. The room is clean, smells fresh and all with good taste of comfort and relax and super quite which you will appericate after being travelling around all day. The location is best you will get in Zurich, centre location to all transportation; trains; trams; excertionns and boats plus it is in Zurich shopping area. it is expensive hotel but is is a agood value for what you will get. Overall Hotel Excellence is in this hotel.

Room Tip: We did found the hotels by searching the tripadvisior and then booked them. Reviews are good indicat...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SuleimanNakai
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed here for one night at the end of a train touring trip through Switzerland. I chose the hotel for the location to the train station, knowing I would take the train to the airport on my day of departure. The train station is directly across the street from the hotel.

I was offered a room upgrade due to AMEX amenities, and the room was very nice but small. This was not a problem, however, because I was there to explore the lovely town. I LOVED Zurich, with it's two towns in one; the old town and the newer town. The hotel was in a perfect location to be able to walk to each area, and the high-end shopping is just a few blocks away as well.

The service was very nice and the hotel reminded me of a small boutique hotel, though I really do not know how large the hotel actually is. My room had all the luxuries including local facial products, which was very thoughtful.

The town was very nice, and picture perfect, and the lake area was so beautiful. I am looking forward to my next visit to Zurich, and I will stay longer next time.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We had the priviledge staying at this property for 2 nights of our 14 day tour of Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. All 6 hotels we stayed in were rated 5 stars. I rate this hotel #4 of 6
The smiling faces at the front desk makes you feel welcome. We arrived at 9AM and were offered complimentary tea and danish at the cafe while our room was being prepared. By 10 AM we were in our room.
The location is tops, can't get any better for touring Zurich.
Our room was extermely small and the hotel facilities were quite limited compared to all of our other hotels.
Still a great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Stayed here for business but only because our normal preferred hotel was full.

Reception is very un-glamorous but they have nice touches such as water and snacks for guests who have been out jogging. They offered us champagne and a cold towel on arrival - nice touch.

Rooms are small and dowdy. The air con could do with a serious upgrade. Curtains let in the light all night. The bed was very low on the ground and I thought they must have given me the Japanese futon-themed room - but no, this is actually - unexpectedly - an orthopedic bed. The remote control said "not to be touched by children". I should probably have refrained from meddling therefore. I succeeded in raising the head, foot and lumbar areas of the bed... but when I came to return it to the flat position I found there was no control for that. So I am certain that I slept with my feet a couple of inches above my head. Hmm. That factor plus the spider which dropped into the magazine I was reading before trying to go to sleep meant that actually I DIDN'T get any sleep at all. Seriously none. Not good on a business trip.

Need for orthopedic beds became apparent at breakfast though. Unusually I found myself to be the youngest person in the room. There seems to be a high proportion of retirees at the hotel - and I don't blame them really because the service really does have a level of charm and personality they wouldn't find in a normal chain hotel. Breakfast was varied and plentiful. Featuring some home made jams created by a chap whose photo stood on every table - proudly showing off his garden and wearing a bow-tie. Odd! But quite charming. And the jam was very nice!

No gym at this hotel so a lot of people do go jogging. They do have an arrangement with a local gym so I think you can use that for a fee.

No quibbles on service and attitude - in fact I would rate them very highly on these little touches. Just a little tired in terms of decor.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2011

From beginning to end the staff at the Schweizerhof were friendly helpful and attentive. There was not one thing which we could find to complain about. Reception, breakfast, dinner, room were all fantastic and every part of the hotel was tidy and clean. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple