“A great 3 star hotel”

Ranked #39 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Singapore, Singapore
“A great 3 star hotel”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Just back on a honeymoon trip with hubby and we stayed 4 nights there. It's conveniently located near the main train station as well as the most important Bus terminal just directly opposite the hotel. As We had city tours almost everyday and it's always departing from that bus terminal, thus this location was a great advantage to us.
As for the room, it was basic and essential enough, as most of the time we were out of hotel for sightseeing/shopping. In my opinion the size of the room and bathroom were quite big for a 3 stars hotel. the blankets & beds were very fluffy and comfy!
Staffs were very friendly and they allowed us to check in early, we reached as early as 10am and rooms were ready in about 45 minutes. Breakfast was quite good, quite alot of choices of food.
Overall, a very very good hotel! Will come back to this hotel again if i have the chance :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear DesCandy.

Thank you for your positive comments. I'm very happy that the Walhalla Hotel played an important role in your honeymoon trip. For honeymooners or business travellers, the location is perfect. Right in the heart of Zurich. Please join our Facebook community that we always know how you are. Greetings to your husband and the whole Walhalla Team wish you all the best for your future.

Kurt Wodiczka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is almost an extension of the Zurich main station. It's convenient locations makes it attractive for business travellers with work in the city as well as tourists who are frequently travelling by train to other destinations.

The service standards in the hotel are average and the hotel staff,especially in the breakfast restaurant would benefit from some elementary training. Bathrooms need improvement due to lack of a shower chamber. Unlike other smaller Zurich hotels,no kettles ar provided in the rooms which is not good news for those of us used to a morning cuppa.

Overall,if convnience is your main criterion,Walhalla is not a bad choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has an enclosed shower area
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Nav1963.

I really appreciate your constructive feedback and the points you mentioned. You are completely right about the bathrooms on the second and third floor and I have good news: We start the renovation of the remaining 24 bathrooms end of this year. On the fourth and fifth floor we already have the new bathroom types with shower chamber, heated mirror pad, hair dryer, lighted make up mirror etc. So I would be more than happy to show you the new rooms in January. Please let me know whenever you are back in Zurich.

All the best
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I just got back from our Europe trip including 2 nights stay at this hotel and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to go to Zurich.

It is very close to the station (Zurich HB) therefore you do not need to spend money for taxi or any transportation. And for the tourist like myself the tour to Jungfraujoch, Mount Titlis and Mount Pilatus start from the bus parking lot across the hotel's lobby.

The room is clean. The bed is very comfortable. The bathroom although it is compact still feels modern. I think whoever decide to do the interior design has done a wonderful job.

The wifi is free and accessible from anywhere in the hotel. I got the furthest room the elevator yet still I could connect to the internet.

The staffs at the reception were very helpful. One helped us to book the tour to Mount Pilatus. She helped us choosing the tour by explaining to us the difference between Mount Titlis and Mount Pilatus. I also received recommendation for the best Japanese restaurant and local food nearby the hotel.

The next time I go to Zurich I would definitely stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel offers a family room with 1 big bed and 1 single bed. The single bed is a "real" bed...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear gmd2002.

Thank you very much for your detailed review. I'm glad you enjoyed the stay with us and I will forward your positiv comments about the interior design to the former management team. We renovated the hotel rooms im 2010 and the bathrooms in 2011 and I completely agree that they made a very good job. The colors are well selected and the room is very functional, ideal for business travellers and tourists. Together with the perfect location a very good package to explore Zurich and Switzerland. We constantly look for opportunities to upgrade the product and in 2014 we will install water kettles in all rooms. Your feedback motivates us a lot and we will continue to make the Walhalla your Gateway to Switzerland and your Business Hub to Zurich.

All the best and again thank you very much
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Traveled mid October. Stayed with my mother on the third floor- elevator available- and we so enjoyed the location and friendly service, we cancelled our Basel and Lucerne hotels and extended for another 3 days. Location: Perfect. Walk from Platform 18 at the Zurich Main train station (ZHB). You can see the hotel sign or the Starbucks sign, or ask directions at the information kiosk. Staff: All lovely; Angela,Toni, Bala Diana, Valentina. Checked in early, were given maps and directions of things to do. Rooms: Compact with 2 twin beds near each other with night stands on outer sides, a safe, big bathroom with 2 large sinks, big bathtub. Mineral water. Kept clean everyday. We asked for a fan and got one. Kept the windows open -directly facing the city tour buses. Only problem: windows open a bit differently to what we are used to. The weather was perfect. Comp. umbrellas at the front door. Free computer to use. The tram stop was right outside. We did not have any major traffic or noise issues. Breakfast: Excellent with lovely servers Vlad etc. Coffee, tea, hot choc, milk, cappuccino, juices, cereals, breads, cheeses, assortment of meats, pastries. The ZHB is a great place to pick up cheap (for Zurich) food. Also walking to the hotel is a small Frische kiosk that sells veg sandwiches for 5CHF. Walhalla has 15% discount dinner coupon for Subito's, which is around the corner. Conclusion: Book directly at the Walhalla Hotel website.It saves them and you money.They also have a guesthouse around the corner which is cheaper.Same breakfast. If you stay here check out the shopping behind the hotel. We walked from the hotel to Lake Zurich a few times.This will always be our #1 place to stay in Zurich.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Canaturelover55.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences in the Walhalla Hotel in Zurich with the Tripadvisor Community. For sure our location is unique in Zurich and we are happy to be in the heart of the city, but what makes me proud are your comments about the team. Location is one thing, but the team and their hospitality attitude are crucial. I'm very happy that we were able to convince you and I'm looking forward to welcome you again in the Walhalla Hotel in Zurich.

Burgdorf, Switzerland
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Good hotel in a good location. The rooms and bathrooms can be rather on the small side, but are very clean and comfortable.
I use this hotel for eary morning flights from the airport (15 min by train). The staff give me a packed breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear mrcheddar.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment about your last stay in the Walhalla Hotel. I really appreciate that you mentioned the connection the the Zurich Airport. From door to door it is not more than 15 minutes. So we call us an airport hotel. With our breakfast boxes we try to make your trip a bit easier. I'm happy that you enjoyed it!

I wish you all the best and hope to see you soon.
Tremona
Reviewed October 29, 2013

When i come to Zürich I always try to book a room in this Hotel. Only if it's fully booked go for another one. Nice staff, clean and silently. Wlan for free and rich breakfast buffet! The Hotel is situated in the city center really close to Railway station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Andyt7820.

It was a pleasure reading your positive feedback. Thank you very much for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. This helps us a lot and is a real motivation for the entire team. We are looking forward to welcome you again in the Walhalla Hotel or even our Walhalla Guesthouse.

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I agree 100% with others that say this hotel is in a great location. It is a very short 2 minute walk to the main train station where you can catch trains to all parts of Switzerland. There is a tram that stops right next to the hotel and the bus terminal for most of the local excursions is right across the street. You can buy transportation and excursion tickets at the front desk.

This hotel may be rated a 3 star but I think the staff is 4 star quality. Thank you Valentina, Angela, Diana and Toni for being friendly, great with information about things to do and catering to our needs.

The hotel is an older hotel and a less is more kind of decor but is very clean. I stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks (2 weeks for business and 1 week for vacation). Since it was just me initially my first room was a single room facing the street. Yes there was normal street noise if you had the window open. I had my window open almost the entire time and had no problems sleeping. Closing the window will shut out the street noise.

This hotel doesn't have a restaurant but is connected to one (literally) and a Starbucks. It does serve breakfast in the morning which I recommend. I did order room service from the connected restaurant just to try it and got a hamburger with fries for about 23 CHF ($25 US). It was a decent burger (size and taste) and the price was in line with other eating establishments in Zurich. I preferred to eat cheaper for equally as good food at the main train station and in some of the smaller locations I travelled to since I spent most of my time on the go sightseeing.

When my wife arrived they transferred us to a double room right next door to the single room I had so the move was painless. The bathroom is only big enough for one person getting ready at a time. This room was also very clean.

When back in Zurich I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeAndMyLens
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear MeAndMyLens.

You made my day! Thank you very much for your nice and detailed feedback. Valentina and I just read it and we appreciate the time you spent in writing this wonderful comment. We will definitely share this with the whole team.
I'm happy that you wrote about the roomservice, because we just spoke with the Restaurant Manager to intensify our cooperation. From now on we will serve the whole Restaurant menu via roomservice and our guests can easily charge it to their rooms. The next time you will be with us, I will let you try the Walliser Rösti, you will love it.

I wish you and your familiy a wonderful time and hope to see you soon.

All the best