“Convenience, service and comfort. All in one!”
Review of Walhalla Hotel

Walhalla Hotel
Ranked #38 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed October 13, 2013

One of our key selection criteria for this hotel was its proximity to the main Zurich station. The hotel is a quick walk from the station.. We had booked two rooms; and ended up at the hotel at 10 AM. The staff was accommodating and gave us both rooms. The rooms were conveniently located on the same floor. The rooms were clean, one of the rooms was very spacious, and overall appeared well maintained.
The staff is knowledgeable about the local attractions and has a tie up with the tour operators across the street--which allows you to purchase tickets conveniently (we did not try it though). Their breakfast spread is really good, and the servers are caring.
Overall, a very good visit for the short time we spent in Zurich (we were there only for one night).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank N P
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear N P.

I'm very happy about your positive feedback. Thank you very much for takeing the time to write that comment on Tripadvisor. The location is one thing but not a guarantee for a convenient stay. This is why I'm very proud of my team, that we were able to exceed your expectations.
I wish you all the best and hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Good location, close to the main station and a short walk to the city centre. We had a recently decorated room, with an excellent bathroom. The public areas were also clean and well maintained. Breakfast was good, although very busy when we went. Staff were very friendly. Good wifi and cable tv.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Markle1.

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the breakfast. Unfortunately sometimes it gets a bit busy in the breakfast room and then we try to use one of our conference rooms to increase space. I hope that I will have the chance to welcome you again in the Walhalla Hotel or our Walhalla Guesthouse.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Walhalla is conveniently located 3 min walk from the train station. Inside the station there is a grocery store and restaurants. Across the street it's the tour bus station.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The room was big and cozy. Wi-fi connection is a little slow but free.
Breakfast items are good and plenty from cereals, breads and pastries to cheeses and cold meats. Also selection of coffee, tea, juice and milk. The staff is very helpful and nice.

There are restaurants and shopping stores within 15 min walk.

I would recommend this hotel for business, couples or adult groups.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear KaPui.
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor with us. I saw that you already rated a lot of hotels which means that you are a frequent traveller and this fact makes me even more proud about my team and our achievement. I wish you a nice time and I hope that we will see us again at the Walhalla Hotel.

All the best

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a fantastic time in Zurich. The location of this hotel is ideal for anyone travelling via trains. The tram and train station is just out the front. The breakfast was yummy and the food was varied. The price in Zurich is comparable. We loved the hotel and would stay here again.

Dear Travelingaussiechick.

Thank you very very much! The Walhalla Hotel is "Your Gateway to Switzerland and your Business hub to Zurich". A better location to explore the city is difficult to find in Zurich and trains to all parts of Switzerland are reachable in less than 3 minutes. But the Location is not the only advantage we have and I'm happy that you mentioned the breakfast and the price which is always a sensitive topic. I wish you all the best and hope to welcome you again in Zurich.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

You start looking on Expedia and for Zurich you can find every day hotels for $1,000 a night!!
I felt for what we paid for the Walhalla Hotel.it was a bargain. A nice room on the second floor that was plenty big enough. A nice little sitting area and the room also came with WIFI. The bathroom was nice and even though we were on the second floor the room was very quiet. A great location next to the train station and an easy walk anywhere in town. It was about 15 minutes to the lake to take a cruise. The morning breakfast was very good and very filling. Enjoy the coffee there as when you stop by Starbucks a venti coffee was 7.80 Swiss Francs. Over $8 USD for a large coffee. The staff is friendly, the location is great. I would highly recommend anyone to check this Hotel out if they were going to Zurich.

Room Tip: If you are given the choice of a room with or without breakfast always go for the breakfast. You wi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Norm_from_Seattle.
Thank you very much for your very good feedback. I'm happy that you enjoyed the stay with us and we were able to meet your expectations. In the last few months we tried some different breakfast set ups to offer a better standard and I'm glad that you liked it.

I send you my best regards and hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Walhalla. The many positives included (1) short walk from the train station which makes handling your luggage very easy, (2) basic but well-maintained rooms, (3) excellent buffet breakfast included in room rate manned by pleasant young ladies, (4) right across the street from city tour meeting point, (5) good value alternative compared to more expensive hotels. The negatives included (1) pillows are too soft, (2) not real friendly front desk staff, and (3) door to room does not have a deadbolt or security latch. The Hotel also requests that the room key be left at front desk when leaving your room, which is fine, except that there is no id check upon your return, especially when the front desk staff changes. I'm not sure what prevents someone from walking up to the desk and asking for a room key that is sitting in the room slot. Also a few rooms on the top floor, including ours, had a sloping ceiling where the bed is located which made getting up from the bed quite challenging. All in all we had a pleasant stay at the Walhalla.

Would stay at Walhalla again but would request a lower floor to avoid the sloping ceiling.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room with a sloping ceiling that could be hazardous when getting up from the bed.
2  Thank berniel7

Dear Mr. Berniel7.
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I really appreciate the time you spent to share your experiences. I'm happy that you mentioned the pillows as this is something we already worked on. We bought some different types of pillows last week and now we are able to provide our clients the prefered pillow. Your comments regarding the breakfast I already shared with my team -they enjoyed the feedback too and it is a real motivation for all of us.
The Walhalla Hotel has only 48 rooms with a lot of returning guests and a very small reception team. Due to the fact that every customer is asked to leave the keys with us, everytime they leave the hotel, we interact a lot with our clients and this gives us the chance to recognize our clients more than in a hotel with 100 rooms or more. We have cameras in all public areas and take this sensitive issue very seriously.
Again, thank you very much for your comments and I hope to welcome you again in the Walhalla Hotel Zurich

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Single room is small and simple, but is spotless and more than adequate. Great location near the train station, halfway between the area with the best live music and the historic district. Very friendly and helpful staff. Does not have A/C, but this wasn't a problem in September. Room was very quiet with window closed, quieter than average urban setting with windows open. Great value. I'm always torn on how to rate a hotel like this. Its definitely excellent for a two-star hotel. But, average when compared to all hotels. So, I compromised on Very Good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Mr. Gary_Hartland.
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback especially for housekeeping and cleanliness. I will share your comments with the team. Thank you also for mentioning the missing AC. Unfortunately (good for the hotels without AC) there are only a few days during a year where it might get hot in the rooms. For these special days we put fans in our rooms to lower the temperature.
I wish you all the best and hope to see you again in the Walhalla Hotel in Zurich.