“Best kept secret in Zurich”

Alden Suite Hotel Splugenschloss Zurich
Ranked #67 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
world citizen
“Best kept secret in Zurich”
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We have stayed in all of the top hotels in Zurich over the past several years, paid very high prices and in most cases got what we paid for, but at the Alden Hotel Splugenschloss, our wonderful room, the attentive staff, the lovely free breakfast and the handy location far exceeded what we paid. When we arrived, we were greeted by Caroline, a treasure and a gem. She set the tone for our entire visit and was charming every time we encountered her. We booked the least expensive room, since we were not sure what to expect. To our utter surprise, the room was absolutely wonderful! I was traveling with my two 20-something daughters and we were perfectly prepared to share a bedroom and a bathroom. What a happy surprise to discover that our room included a powder room (as well as the most roomy, modern, decadent master bath that you can imagine), and a living room (with a lovely balcony), with a sofa that turned into a very comfortable bed! The little mini-fridge was filled with candy and soft drinks, which we were free to take at no extra charge. They were replenished daily. Anyone who has slept in a 5 star hotel in Zurich knows how fantastic the beds are. The Alden Hotel is no exception. The beds were like clouds and the linens were heavenly, and don't even get me started on those plump feather pillows! There were two in-room safes, a towel warmer in the bathroom and flat screen t.v.'s in both the bedroom and living room. There is high speed internet which is not free. We walked to the old town in about 15 minutes, a charming walk along the lake. Breakfast every morning was included. This was a really lovely buffet which included smoked salmon, several kinds of cold meats and cheeses, all kinds of bread and rolls, marvelously ripe fruit (where did they get it in the dead of winter?!), as well as some other items. You could also order eggs any way you like them with bacon, sausage, etc., etc. There was coffee and fresh fruit juices, etc. The dining room was a lovely, peaceful place to enjoy this delicious repast. If you require a fancy spa and a huge lobby and a cookie cutter hotel in any way, the Alden is not for you. If you like to feel instantly as if you have come home the moment you step into a hotel, if you like that the staff is warm and friendly and helpful and charming, if you need lots of space in a bathroom and a bedroom, if you like your breakfast elegant and delicious, and if for a change you would like to feel as if you are getting a lot for the money, this is the hotel at which to stay. We cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Leusden, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 4, 2010

First tis is a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
Beautiful fine chamber. (3D) superb bath chamber. I took some photograph and will do made and this way something I at
my bathroom rebuilding also, nice inspiration. Breakfast top, relaxed and very well! Special newspapers service
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the free drinks on the room, good thing! (First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the drinks on the room, good thing! First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
The return trip went very well here and there a firm snowstorm but thanks well arrived.
And also thany you fort the snacks en drink bag, verry nice!!
In short if I come ever in Zurich then it definitely ALDEN are!

regards,First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the drinks on the room, good thing! ( nonalcoholic)
And also thany you for the snacks en drink bag, verry nice!! The return trip by car.
In short if I come ever in Zurich then it definitely ALDEN are!

regards,
fred

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Lets get the bad news out of the way first, this hotel is in Zurich and in all honesty there is not a lot there for people taking a leisure break.

Now onto the Alden. This is possibly the best hotel we have ever stayed in. There are several things you need to make such a statement, the first is an aesthetically pleasing exterior and interior, quality rooms well maintained and clean, good location, well prepared and good quality food and lastly staff who understand customer service. In respect of the last point the one person who set this hotel apart was Rachel. It is so difficult to find someone who you feel genuinely understands customer service and not only did Rachel attend to all our needs she also managed to get someone to go out and get my wife some medicine as well as getting our train tickets for our trip to Zermatt.

Our room was superb (2b) which had a bath, shower and the best toilet I have ever been on. It had its own integrated bidet which washes you after you have finished. Worth going to the hotel just for this (although it is a shock the first time it happens). The bed was very comfortable and we had a drawing room with a huge table (which became our dressing table), mini bar, snacks, sofa and small balcony. In addition we had an entrance hall with coat stand and umbrella.

The breakfast was excellent, it did not have the wide range you would expect from a large hotel but as this is a boutique hotel it was just right. It includes cereal, pastries (very tasty), croissants, cured meats, cheese, yoghurt, juices and most importantly Laurent Perrier Champagne which always goes down well in the mornings.

There is a library in the hotel but unless you speak (or more appropriately read) German there is not a lot there for the none native speaking people.

My wife was ill during our two day stay and so we decided to eat dinner at the Alden. Firstly the food was excellent, my wife had a steak and I had a risotto and both were very tasty and worthy of a top quality restaurant anywhere in the world. The only critism I would have is that there was no option for a glass of wine which would have gone down well with the risotto. Lastly the meal was expensive at £60 for the food above plus a bottle of water and a coke. It was not more expensive than the rest of Switzerland but just compared to London prices.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is pretty, well staffed, good food and located within a 10 minute walk from the city centre. If you could pick up this hotel and put it somewhere else I would go back again and again but as I never intend to go to Zurich again I am sad to say I will not be going back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Superb service underscored our stay at the Alden. The staff, from management to doorman, couldn't do enough for us. Tucked away in a quaint and quiet part of the city, it was still close to transportation and within walking distance of city center. The room was spacious and clean, and came with amenities that helped make our stay very memorable. The restaurant is exceptional. Overall, a great place for a romantic getaway or a comfortable business excursion. A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I love the Alden for its quiet luxury without overstatement. There is always a warm welcome when you enter this hotel. It is a small and personal place that allows for a relaxed and comfortable stay in a cozy atmosphere. I didn't have time to try the restaurant but I checked the menu, which pointed towards Italian cuisine. I would love to come back to this place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We booked a 3 night weekend special in a Deluxe Room [Mini-Suite], to recoup after our long flight from California. Upon arrival, and too tired to venture out, we had an excellent dinner in the Hotel dining room, it was so good, we had dinner at the hotel again on our last night.
Our rate included breakfast, which we had brought to our room every morning, and it was by far, the BEST breakfast anywhere in the world, great eggs, freshly squeezed juices, freshly baked breads, rolls, croissants, a plate of cheeses, another of cold meats, great coffee, fruit, wow, too much to eat - we didn't need lunch!
This is a great, quiet location a short walk to the Bahnofstrasse [shopping street] and Altstadt [old town] and Lake.
We privtely arranged car service to/from the airport thru Abba Transfers, less expensive than booking through the Hotel.
The Concierge staff is extremely helpful, and did everything to make our stay memorable, including reservations at a private hillside club overlooking the lake, with cocktails on the terrace, and dinner in the Members Only dining room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel is located in a neighborhood of gorgeous late 19th century homes and apartment buildings, just a block from the lake and a very short stroll to the Bahnhofstrasse and the Old Town, and provides a very comfortable and luxurious base in Zurich. It’s very small—only 22 suites, I believe, but the suites are very spacious and nicely appointed with a mix of antiques and contemporary furnishings and artworks. It’s nice not to be nickled and dimed at a 5-star hotel, and with all of the items in the minibar, except alcohol, free, as well as free internet access, the hotel certainly wants to make you feel comfortable. Drawbacks? Sure: the public rooms are small and not especially interesting or impressive, and there’s no gym or spa or grounds, so other than having a comfortable living room and bedroom and bathroom, there’s nothing at the hotel to occupy oneself. But I suspect most people don’t come to Zurich to remain within their hotel. The breakfast buffet was good, but not spectacular. The room service dinner I ordered was quite good. The bathrooms are excellent—powerful water pressure in a superb daisy-head shower, separate tub, Bulgari toiletries, and a high-tech toilet. It opened in 2004, and remains in very good condition. So I’d much prefer to stay here than at one of the older grande dame hotels. So between this and the Dolder Grand, there are two recently opened and distinctly 5-star hotels in Zurich. And while the Alden is nowhere nearly as impressive as the Dolder Grand, which is currently my favorite urban hotel in the world, its one advantage over the Dolder, for some, is its excellent location within the town rather than on the hill above town.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo