“Not Holiday Hotel”
Review of The Guest's House

The Guest's House
Ranked #113 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked this hotel (two rooms) for one weeks holiday for myself and my two adult children on a bed and breakfast basis. It reminded me of an English 'Travel Lodge' but with extras. There were two single beds in each room, tea/coffee making facilities, kettle and two large mugs, a small fridge, digital television, a telephone, a (free) safety deposit box and a fan. They also supplied soap and shower gel/shampoo.

The thing that reminded me of a 'Travel Lodge' was the fact that you only had a rail to hang your clothes on with four hangers each and no other storage facilities for your underwear and personal belongings. This hotel would be ideal for an overnight stay or for someone on a business trip for a couple of days.

We did a lot of sightseeing so was not in the hotel for the main part of the day which was a good thing as there was nothing in the hotel to do apart from watch television or there was one computer in the lobby.

The breakfast was nothing special, there was not a wide variety of foods to choose from, it was the same every day, cereals, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, bread and preserves and when something ran out there was no urgency to replenish the stock. I suppose the hotel is not normally used for a weeks holiday so if you are only there for one or two nights it wouldn't matter but when you are there for a week it gets very boring.

The hotel does not have a restaurant of its own but there is a restaurant at the end of the street called Kobi's Stubli. I cannot recommend this restaurant and would suggest you only eat there if you want pizza or chicken schnitzel as this is all they seem to stock and that's not brilliant. If you fancy walking a bit further there is another restaurant the hotel advertises but you have to book and by the time we got round to going it was fully booked so I cannot comment. The other restaurant we tried not far from the hotel was 'Ristorante/Pizzeria Blume' which is situated at the traffic lights as you turn off the main road. The food here was very good especially the pork escalopes but as with all Swiss restaurants they are expensive.

The best food we had was up the mountains of Jungfraujoch, Titlis and Pilatus and the prices were cheaper than in the towns/cities. The food was tastier and more plentiful so if you are planning a day up a mountain have your main meal while you are up there and have a snack for your evening meal.
Would I stop at The Guests' House Hotel again? Definitely not for a weeks holiday because first thing in the morning from about 6am onwards it is so noisy, you can here water running (people having baths/showers), doors banging and other guests talking to each other. It does not go quiet again until about 9am which if you have had a late night getting back from a sightseeing trip the day before then that is not what you want to hear, you just want some peace and quiet and you don't get that in this hotel in the mornings. If you are only planning to stay for one or two days then this hotel will be fine as it is reasonably priced, it has what you need and is very clean.

The only other comment I will make is that the hotel allows dogs in the rooms and breakfast room which I found very off putting especially as one dog was rather large and smelled badly which put me off my breakfast.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in any rooms as far as I am aware.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ladyyellalot
There are newer reviews for The Guest's House

Reviewed June 19, 2012

The first thing we noticed about the room was there was no air conditioner or fan. The day we arrived it was quite warm and thought this would be a major issue in getting a good nights sleep. Surprisingly this was no real issue after we opened the window. The hotel is located about a 3 minute walk to the train station and only about 15 minutes into Zurich by train. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, I lost a diamond ring during our stay and the cleaning staff found it and left it in our room so I must also commend them on their trustworthyness. The breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but filled our bellies for a busy day. The one thing ee found strange was they offer smoking rooms, but with only 2x single beds in them that cant be pushed together. There is a great little restaurant about 100 metres down the road and it was one of the best meals we had on our trip, also one of the most reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ivodeb
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel turned out to be exactly what we expected for the rate we paid. Correct interiour, small but clean rooms, dated but mantained bathroom and a good breakfast. The only problem we experienced was the inability to connect to the free wi-fi and we were not able to do the work we planned. It was a big problem for us because we really counted on it. The lobby is closed after 10 p.m. so nobody could help us with that. So keep in mind to solve all the issues with the staff prior to that time. Nonetheless, altogether it was a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Croatia_globetrotter
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Booked this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. Was going on a business trip so wanted to be careful about the budget and wanted hotel to be easily accessible to get to Zurich HB (main train station). The train stop (Triemli) is literally a 2 minutes walk from the hotel. The front of the hotel looks small, but once you enter it is bright and cheerful. I had a single room and it was nice because they had tea & coffee making facilities in the room. The bathroom was also adequately sized and had a lovely warm shower. The breakfast was amazing with a variety of cereal (including muesli and porridge), fruit salad, 2 types of croissant, french bread and other bakery items, variety of cheese, meats and yogurt. Breakfast was outstanding and service was great too. Would totally recommend this place because it is well connected. If you take the train the other direction it goes all the way to Uetilburg for a lovely view of Zurich and some hiking options.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank fairypk
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Recently renovated. We stayed there the first day of reopening. Indeed everything was in order, the room is small but sufficient and includes a work desk. Soft but good beds. The new name of the hotel is "The Guests' House Hotel". Friendly and helpfull people. We did not see a bar, nor restaurant. Meals can be ordered at the reception, we did not try it. The hotel is a little outside the centre of Zürich in a quiet neighbourhood, however by car 7 minutes from the centre.
We found the pricing including breakfast and parking particularly attractive. Good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leasure_travelers
Reviewed November 17, 2011

For an Indian traveller a guesthouse means a kind of basic accommodation offering basic facilities at an economical price. Thus when I opted for this hotel I had this notion of what to expect. I was therefore in for a big surprise. Though hotel's facade is devoid of any adornment or fanciful exteriors, the inside, that is the rooms and its amenities are definitely more than what is expected from a 'guesthouse' in Indian terminology. Rooms are large, with decent facilities and the 'bathroom is a room too'! The morning breakfast was sumptuous and staff quite friendly. Only problem is with the address; as the street Doltschihalde could not be located on GPS with older software. Here again the hotel staff helped by giving clue of a larger thoroughfare nearby, namely, Schweizhof Strasse. In all, Atlantis is a decent place for the one who is looking for economy as well as comfort at a little extra price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Rakhdoo
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel in mid July , it was the hotel that was supposed to be and completely fulfilled my expectations. It is a value for money hotel in quiet beautiful suburb of Zurich. Don't think it is too far away from the city center, it is just 10 minute by a train running just in front of the hotel to the city center and Bahnhofstrasse. I do not remember the price of the tickets but I pretty sure that it was not too high, the hotel is in the main traffic zone of Zurich so you can use the train thicket with all other transportation systems like tram , boats .... If being in Zurich happen to me again , I will definitely stays in Atlantis guest house again. (see my attached photos to get a felling of the where the hotel is)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family