“Pricey” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Canada
“Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

Before I begin I must Mention that the hotel pricing in Switzerland is OUTRAGEOUS for the quality of room you get as a whole. Now that I have that done I can get on withe review. Based on the pricing around us I can say that the room we had which was in the Guesthouse & was located behind the Hotel was reasonably priced when compared to those around us. The room was OK but my wife wasn't to keen on the single beds being set up on opposite side of the room but they were comfortable. The only complaint we had was the street noise from the street below as we were near a nightclub. I had to open the window at night or else the room got stuffy. The actual location of the hotel relative to sightseeing was very good & it wa only a 5 minute walk to the train station that takes you to the airport, VERY HANDY. The staff were all very nice & pleasant. The breakfast area was quaint but well supplied. We would go back but ONLY because the hotels in the area were twice the cost & no better in overall accomdations.

• Liked — Location to sights & train station
  • Disliked — Street noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KGACanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

We stayed in Alexander hotel with our little daughter for 2 dayes in May.

Our no-smoking room on the upper floor was cozy, clean and had a nice view to the pedestrian street of Old town. As the weather was hot we were happy to have efficient air-condition in our room. Friendly receptionists and good cold buffet breakfast.

The only thing we did not like was very boring porter who seeks tips too active.

We can recommend this hotel as good central accomodation for reasonable price.

• Liked — Location and air-condition
  • Disliked — Porter
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2006

Great location in the heart of old town with great access to cafes, the lake etc. A couple of strip clubs nearby on the same street add a little seediness to the area, but I found them to be not a problem the night we were there. The street it is located on is pedestrian access only so getting there by car is tricky but doable. The rooms are clean and neat, and the staff was nice. All in all it was a good stay.

Stayed August 2006
10 Thank skip487
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2006

I stayed in the main hotel section of this place for a few days in July. It's a genuine bargain for Switzerland (although if you're on a budget this is probably the wrong country in which to travel). Situated smack in the middle of town, we had a nice clean, cosy & quiet room at the back, with efficient, life-saving air-con, plenty of room & generally pleasing decor (although there was a picture of some English naval battle or other which may or not appeal). The one problem was the staff, who are friendly enough but don't seem to know what they're doing, and I got into a bit of a battle when leaving since they'd charged me for an extra night in June (for which I hadn't booked) on the grounds that I'd failed to show up! Only after my persistent refusal to pay for a further 3 nights was the matter rested - but I'll be keeping a close eye on the credit card bills. It's probably due to incompetence rather than corruption, but [-------] you never know ...

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank paulde
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2005

I landed in this hotel during my recent visit to Zürich and was most surprised to find such a wonderful hotel at such reasonable prices. Given I was in Zürich during a high-occupancy time (watch convention, Zürich marathon, Spring Break, etc), the price wasn't through the roof.

I say I landed here because I shopped around and this was the first hotel I found with three nights open at a reasonable price (150 SFR/night).

The rooms all have WiFi internet access (purchased extra in blocks of time, but not expensive); the breakfast was par (free continental breakfast, charge for eggs and such); and the service was very comfortable.

The hotel itself is located on Neiderdorfstraße, right in the heart of Old Town, and is an easy walk to Lake Zürich, the main trainstation, Bellvue, and multiple nearby tram stops. Resturants, shops, bars, and with streets closed to traffic define the Old Town Area. The hotel was about 5 minutes walk to the Grössmunster, 10 to the trainstation, and 15 to the lake.

A very good hotel for a reasonable price in the heart of one of the best areas in Zürich. Go for it!

• Stayed April 2005